The BMW Nikasil issue

sleeper_udm

Hi,
Just checking with members here if they know of any of the older BMWs here that had this issue. FYI, this issue is described in the page in the following link : The BMW Nikasil issue

Do let me know as I am hesitant to purchase E39s with M52 engines manufactured between 1996 to 1999 thinking that they might fail as a resullt of the above.

Thanks.

Re: The BMW Nikasil issue

sleeper - I'm surprised no one has come up with an answer to your question so far.

The M52 is a good engine. I had one in my E36 and it never gave me any problems in the 8 years I owned the car. As the link you provided indicates, the nikasil coating inside the cylinder bores only has wear issues with sulphur contaminated fuel. If the fuel in Singapore has low sulphur levels, you won't have much to worry about.

For peace of mind, get a reputable workshop to check out the car and ask them to do a compression test on the engine. If the compression figures are within manufacturer specs, cylinder wear is unlikely to be a problem. If not, walk away and look for another car.

Re: The BMW Nikasil issue

Why don't u consider newer E39? Like those 2002/2003. It is using M54B22. However, u will need a little bit of luck 2 find it in local mkt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwin05news
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back