Thinking of the 523i

Gandalf Fett

I am currently a merz C Class driver but am seriously thinking about changing to the new 523i series with the current deal that they've got going on at Performance Motors but am concerned about the reliability issues with the 523i especially with the reviews that I have read so far and the feedback that I have received from my friends about servicing with Performance Motors. Can anyone help me with some feedback with respect to the 523i and the current deal and whether it's even something worth considering or it's better to wait out a couple more years?

Re: Thinking of the 523i

other than the new valvetronic engine they still working out the bugs... the e60 already in the second year of production. In another couple of years it will be facelifted and include some of the keyless features etc. etc. The only shame is PML is doing away the active steering option on entry model.
Couple of sg chaps we know in the e60.net just got deliveries of the 523i they seem happy!

u buy the 523 but u pay 525 road tax too. no HUD available..some issues with LTA. probably after they get the M5 in.

I checked with the LTA and LTA said that it was already approved....

Yeah true on the road tax but the price difference between the 2 is about 30K and the only thing you get extra is the active steering and adaptive headlights (according to the sales guy at PML) so I'm really not sure.

To me, it is really about trying to get something that is reliable cause I have lost quite a bit of confidence in my current car and I don't want to invest in another car that's going to stay perpetually in the workshop (so to speak).

I am really liking the 5 series which is why I would like to find out more about it.

Thanks a lot guys, any more comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Gandalf Fett said:
but the price difference between the 2 is about 30K and the only thing you get extra is the active steering and adaptive headlights

I think u will get alot more bhp too. 177bhp vs 219bhp if I am not wrong. The true value may not be $30k if the PARF value is different too.

Just to look at things from another viewpoint. I was comtemplating a 523 as well but ending up getting a Lexus GS300 for the wife. IMHO, the GS300 trumps the 523 in performance (3.0L V6 with dual VVTi with 228hp vs 177hp, 300Nm torque vs 250Nm), specifications (adaptive xenon headlights, integrated bluetooth phone, touch screen, 14 speaker Mark Levinson hifi system, memory seats for both passenger and driver, keyless entry, autosensing headlights and wipers) and all for $10K less than the 523.

What it loses out is the handling, steering feel and being one with the machine on curvy roads. However, the handling is really not far off. The Lexus also has a prominent rear transmission tunnel (rear wheel drive) and is actually less spacious in the rear and boot. The Lexus is suprememely comfortable, so much so that I feel like cruising the long way home just to soak in the cossetting ride, comfy seats and hifi sound system (this is the only car I can enjoy classical music in!).

The Lexus may be Jap, and even a Toyota in disguise, but it is very reliable, heck of a value-for-money and the performance is really not far off from the 523. If your requirement is the ultimate driving machine, then BMW is it. If it is a blend of reliability, luxury, performance and adequate handling, then take a look at the Lexus. You get 525 or 530 specs at $10K less than 523 prices.

Don't flame me, I still prefer to drive my 320!

u said it urself, they r different cars. value for $ vs drivability. to me the Gs300 corners like a barge...n that is important to me. ok at least i think its better than a E-class (that is cornering like supertanker)....
on another note. there is indeed a big hp different from the 523 to 525. n i luv the active steering.
end of the day, u buy what u like..list ur priorities, within ur budget. just like buying a house..u cant hv it quiet, no afternoon sun, near market, near mrt, near school...if u dun hv perfect money...something has got to give. so just do it.

My neighbour switched from e39 520i (not sure 2.0 or 2.2) to e39 525i with full AC works to the new GS300 and he has no regrets. So I guess it is different strokes for different folks. There is no doubt that the Lexus will be much more reliable. I have yet to hear of a "lemon" Lexus. Maybe slapping on bigger rims/tyres + coilovers will solve some of the handling problems in the GS300:)

The GS300 is great value and all, but personally I just think it looks too "soft". What's nice about the E60 (and many BMWs) is that it has this aggressive, purposeful look, both front and rear. Somehow, Lexus just has that Ah Pek image, a bit like Merc, especially for their bigger cars.

One gets the impression that Lexus and Mercs are for folks who are not really into cars, but just want a nice car to drive, refering to their regular sedan models of course, AMGs for example are completely different beasts. Only the IS200/300 is more appealing and "younger" looking. Actually the new IS looks fantastic, and may be a real threat to the E90...epecially with that new 3.5l engine, ah well I guess there is an E90 335i/d coming, so BMW should still be ahead in the game

I'll say go for the 523i, it's great value (for a Bimmer) at current prices and although the loss of active steering is a pity, it's not that bad since the regular steering on the E60 does have great feel and is very well balanced, plus you have the option of tuning up that engine, which to me, is the 523i's greatest strength.

i have the 523i. Its a little under powered. the engine is really smooth.

eggz, any info on how to tune that engine? or where?

eggz said:
The GS300 is great value and all,............. Somehow, Lexus just has that Ah Pek image, a bit like Merc, especially for their bigger cars.

One gets the impression that Lexus .. are for folks who are not really into cars, but just want a nice car to drive, refering to their regular sedan models of course, ............. Only the IS200/300 is more appealing and "younger" looking. Actually the new IS looks fantastic,...........epecially with that new 3.5l engine.

Haha...R u referring to me??

Infact the new IS250/350 is jus a strink down version of a GS300. IMO, the new IS350 wld not make it to Sg or even if it does make it, most likely the car wld price abv the GS. Afterall, don't think Borneo wld be stupid enough to bring in the IS350 to kill their own sales on GS300.

bugaboo said:
i have the 523i. Its a little under powered. the engine is really smooth.

eggz, any info on how to tune that engine? or where?

Not sure if dat DMS tuner has come up with something for your baby.

Besides active steering and detuned engine, is there any other difference between 523 and 525? For example, for E46 320, even if I swap to 3L engine, it is still not a 330 equivalent cos the brakes for one thing are still smaller. I doubt it is as simple as just finding a way to "de-detune" the engine to make your 523 become a 525.

525i has GPS as default too.
you're right on the brakes. the 523 and 525 has differnt brake disc parts according to the etk.

523i BRAKE DISC, VENTILATED 310X24 2 34116764021
525i BRAKE DISC, VENTILATED 324X30 2 34116753221

I am currently driving a E39 525. IMHO, go for the 525i. Cos, i am sure when you get the 523i, you will be thinking of the 525.

Be Different, Think Different.

Hi Bro,

My wife is also driving a C200 now and thinking of changing her car. What is price package offered by Performance on the 523i? Thanks!

Gandalf Fett said:
I am currently a merz C Class driver but am seriously thinking about changing to the new 523i series with the current deal that they've got going on at Performance Motors but am concerned about the reliability issues with the 523i especially with the reviews that I have read so far and the feedback that I have received from my friends about servicing with Performance Motors. Can anyone help me with some feedback with respect to the 523i and the current deal and whether it's even something worth considering or it's better to wait out a couple more years?

Gandalf Fett said:
I checked with the LTA and LTA said that it was already approved....

Sorry if I'm going OT fellas, Gandalf Fett, can you confirm that HUD has been LTA approved? That'd be excellent news to me if true.

Thanks in advance,
Back to the topic...

I called up LTA and I spoke to this officer by the name of Ganalan or something like that and he insisted (very strongly I might add) that the HUD has already been type approved by LTA. He went on to tell me that both types, with and without HUD had been approved by LTA. Of course, this is a telephone conversation and I have nothing in writing to confirm that. Anyway, when I asked Performance about it again they did not give me any other answer other than "I'm not sure, I don't know". Go figure.

gunbound888 said:
Hi Bro,

My wife is also driving a C200 now and thinking of changing her car. What is price package offered by Performance on the 523i? Thanks!

I think you should be able to get it at 178K

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back