"ticking" noise from Aircon of E39... please help!

Teckie

Hi,

Just wondering aloud. Maybe some of you guys who own E39s here can confirm.

Do your air-cons give a periodic 'ticking' noise? My aircon has recently started 'ticking' at intervals of 30 secs. Sent it to PML and they changed the 'heater valve' but the ticking noise is still there.

I am now told that its a design feature of E39s and that the lower you set the temperature, the more frequent the ticks. It cannot be eliminated. I can't really accept this explanation so I'm hoping that you guys here can help. The temperature I set is 18 degrees.

Thanks

Regards

Mark

No noise on mine which I set at 23.5 degrees. My ride in July 2001 registered.

No problem with mine other than having to have the cooling coil replaced last year :verysad: My car was registered in '98 but manufactured in '96.

Mark,

You are not alone, I'm having the same ticking sound as your when set the aircon temp low about 19.5 to 21. My music volume can cover the tick sound hence, no issue to me.

Ticking sound? Nope... don't think I've heard it. temp usually set about 23-24. Mine is a 2003 production model.

Mine is a Dec 2001 model facelifted. Aircon seems to be a pain for me as encountered the problems
- blowing hot air
- smelly
- can hear water running when car is stationery
- no air con

so ticking problem is something new for me. Anyway, never experience it. Better service it at PML

For those who set their temperatures higher and hence do not hear anything, maybe u could set it to 18c and check for the noise. I can't believe its a design fault that's acceptable by BMW standards.

arsenal, is your noise at regular intervals or is it like due to a termostat, cos i can accept the latter and not the former.

thanks guys

Teckie said:
For those who set their temperatures higher and hence do not hear anything, maybe u could set it to 18c and check for the noise. I can't believe its a design fault that's acceptable by BMW standards.

Haha, I am not gonna look for trouble so I am not gonna try 18 degrees and "invite" that sound. But as Arsenal 62 said, juz blast the sound system and camourflage it lor. ;)

Re: "ticking" noise from Aircon of E39... please h

Teckie said:
Hi,

Do your air-cons give a periodic 'ticking' noise? My aircon has recently started 'ticking' at intervals of 30 secs. Sent it to PML and they changed the 'heater valve' but the ticking noise is still there.

I am now told that its a design feature of E39s and that the lower you set the temperature, the more frequent the ticks. It cannot be eliminated. I can't really accept this explanation so I'm hoping that you guys here can help. The temperature I set is 18 degrees.

Thanks

Regards

Mark
Mark, I set mine at 23 & my stock-to-the-fish-bone car is 03 Aug production. Will try out 18 & see if cI an hear anything. When u mentioned PML said it can't be eliminated, correct me if I'm wrong, it has to be the csa who told u? If so, they're hoping 4 u 2 buy their story & have the ez way out.

I recently sent my car in with a temp rising prob & told him it cud be the water pump or thermostat thats not regulating properly. Instead I was given a load of crap like I did not screw the radiator cap properly after topping up water & air might have sipped in, asked me to drive on another few days, wtf! I gave the csa a proper one & demanded for a proper diagnosis. True enough, it turns out that the water pump was leaking.

Anyhow u may want to swing by to 1 of the independant workshop for a 2nd opinion. Cheers!

Teckie said:
arsenal, is your noise at regular intervals or is it like due to a termostat, cos i can accept the latter and not the former.
I discovered the ticking sound long ago and don't have the same intervals or frequency sometime it will goes off and very likely is the termostat. :thinking:

Re: "ticking" noise from Aircon of E39... please h

Teckie said:
Hi,

Thanks

Regards

Mark

Mark

Mine is a 2001 registered e39. I don't have this problem, or at least have not experienced it. My temp is always set at 22-24 deg c. damn cold already... wife and kids all complaining if I go any lower... so maybe that's why I never come across that ticking sound. maybe today on way home, i set it to 18 deg and see if i get the rhythmic ticking sound as you said.

thanks guys for the feedback, and those who will test their cars out to check. its appreciated.

i just wanted to make sure this is really a 'design' of the car (rhythmic ticking) before accepting the explanation by pml

Teckie said:
thanks guys for the feedback, and those who will test their cars out to check. its appreciated.

i just wanted to make sure this is really a 'design' of the car (rhythmic ticking) before accepting the explanation by pml
Mark, set temp to 18 deg all day. no sound at all. 'design'? question mark to me...

Teckie said:

Tried setting to 18 deg c and drove around from afternoon till nite. No 'ticking' sound apart from those generated from my watch... so I don't think its a "feature" of the aircon.... it has to be a "bug".

Don't bother at all cos cannot be replicated when you set at lower temp, is an on & off kind of thing. Just like the damn head unit, out of sudden it blast like nobody business.

I think shld not be ticking sound it only produce one click/tick then by 30 sec to 1 minute it click again max may be 5-6 time then disappear and may be months never come back furthermore is quite soft click.. these are my experience. :|

arsenal62 said:
Don't bother at all cos cannot be replicated when you set at lower temp, is an on & off kind of thing. Just like the damn head unit, out of sudden it blast like nobody business.

I think shld not be ticking sound it only produce one click/tick then by 30 sec to 1 minute it click again max may be 5-6 time then disappear and may be months never come back furthermore is quite soft click.. these are my experience. :|

If that is the tick u talking about, it is the vents opening when in A mode, to let air in, every 12s. If you engage in recirc mode, u never get the sound :)

Radon39 said:
If that is the tick u talking about, it is the vents opening when in A mode, to let air in, every 12s. If you engage in recirc mode, u never get the sound :)

Okay will try it :ehhh:

Mark, if my car would to work as Radon39 mentioned then your car is different problem liao.

AC Boy said:
Teckie said:

Mark, set temp to 18 deg all day. no sound at all. 'design'? question mark to me...

Teckie,
I have heard the tick tack tick tack b4. It happened just once or twice. and it disappeared altogether. My aircon is usually set to 23'c with fan at the lowest cos any lower would cause my passengers to put on the sweaters.

Recently i sent it to PML to correct a problem with the aircon. The air cuts off thou' aircon is on. It happens intermittent only. But got it fixed anyway under warranty. 'Resistor' problem i believe.

cheers ;)

nope, never encountered any "ticking" sound from the air conditioner, perhaps the only grouse I have is that it's too darn cold, even with the temperature set way up in the red.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamej88food
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back