ticking sound from engine !!!

ST.Phase

I have this loud ticking sound from my engine recently,when ideling moving ...wat goin on man!!!

Re: ticking sound from engine !!!

Sounds like a valve lifter problem to me. Mines got this problem and its now in the workshop.

ST.Phase;151851 said:
I have this loud ticking sound from my engine recently,when ideling moving ...wat goin on man!!!

Is your engine with Valvetronic?
Also what is the tick frequency?
Once in a few seconds, or many ticks in a second, or somewhere in between?

whats your model bro?
just replaced my lifters and all recently for my e36 when i finally had enough of the ticking
blew abt 1k on it though :(

sszone,

Is your engine M40 or M43?? I remember I changed my lifter too for my old E30 with M40 engine. But is the M43 prone to this too??

schmuak;155496 said:
Sounds like a valve lifter problem to me. Mines got this problem and its now in the workshop.

My dad's e46 (non valvtronic 6 cyl) is suffering from intermittent ticking in the engine. I was reading online that sometimes a cold engine gets this, but for his car it occurs mostly after coming back from a drive. Does this sound familiar in any of your cases?

The mechanics at "everyone's fav BMW dealer" have no clue what's going on and the car has been sent in and came back with no fix. Is your car at their workshop? or an external one? Cos my dad's car is still under warranty so we have to go back to PML. It's driving the both of us nuts that they can't fix it.

The idea of sending it to an outside workshop to have it checked is starting to sound good to us...

My car is an old E34 - with ah boon workshop now. Swift i think its called.

Yup the engine will tick after a drive especially after SD mode. You can tell the folks at PML to try the lifters and get them to fix it under warranty cos it will cost $1K to fix.

melo;155628 said:
My dad's e46 (non valvtronic 6 cyl) is suffering from intermittent ticking in the engine. I was reading online that sometimes a cold engine gets this, but for his car it occurs mostly after coming back from a drive. Does this sound familiar in any of your cases?

The mechanics at "everyone's fav BMW dealer" have no clue what's going on and the car has been sent in and came back with no fix. Is your car at their workshop? or an external one? Cos my dad's car is still under warranty so we have to go back to PML. It's driving the both of us nuts that they can't fix it.

The idea of sending it to an outside workshop to have it checked is starting to sound good to us...

1 suggestion i read at the bimmerforums was to overfill the engine oil....worth trying but go easy on it

sszone;155687 said:
1 suggestion i read at the bimmerforums was to overfill the engine oil....worth trying but go easy on it

A bit reluctant to try that, don't want any wagging fingers when we send it in for warranty checks.

The car is due in soon for a check, I really hope they manage to sort out the problem.

Will give an update afterwards.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aureacondo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back