Tires

ph13ndster

Hi fellow 1ers,

Has anyone replaced their run flats to normal tires yet? Just canvassing for suggestions on what to replace my RFTs with.

Re: Tires

ph13ndster;1067671 said:
Hi fellow 1ers,

Has anyone replaced their run flats to normal tires yet? Just canvassing for suggestions on what to replace my RFTs with.

PSS.............

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Hi,

This will be same post i did before and choices remain unchange as of 310114.

FYI: 3 categories below, arranged in order of performance level/category e.g. trackdays r best money can buy.

Ultimately selection is subjective and really depends on individual but i recommend no other category but bate minimum is Max Performance Tyres... rubber is the only contact between ride and road.

a) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP
b) Passenger Car Summer Max Performance Tyres Tyres | the online tyre guide

Anyway, the below will be my personal selection of Non-RFT and RFT* , till new ones come into the market.

Max Performance Tyres
Non-RF
1st Choice = Michellin PSS
2nd Choice = GY AS2
3rd Choice = Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Note: This tyre test had a heavy weighage = 2013 Summer Tyre Buying Guide | the online tyre guide

RFT*
1st Choice = Continental SportContact 2 SSR Run Flat
2nd Choice = Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT
3rd Choice = Pirelli P Zero Runflat

Extreme Performance Tyres
Non-RF
1st Choice = Bridgestone Potenza RE070
2nd Choice = Bridgestone Potenza RE11
3rd Choice = Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

RFT
- The wet grip is too dangerous to even consider IMHO.

Trackdays Tyres - Only when w/o regard to cost and mileage
Non-RF
1st Choice = Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R
2nd Choice = Nitto NT01 (mileage poorest of these 3 choice)
3rd Choice = Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (wet grip poorest of these 3 choice)

* will change in future as new RFT enters the market and it is purely my own view and can vary with others

Last edited by a moderator:
Tires

Most of us have, just do a search using Google with key words "BMW.SG" and "RFT" for example. You can find the topic discussed to death since ten years ago - RFT vs Normal Tyres, models/makes of tyres, noisiness, durability, road holding, performance, cost, depreciation vs amortization, etc. Cheers!

Yeah, I know this has been discussed to death. And I've gone through the debates to come to no conclusion whatsoever.

@Red_Bean_Bun - first set of RFTs since I bought the car. They are BS S001, are 32,000+kms, and I estimate tread wear is about 50%. So gotta change them soon.

And yes I find the RFTs too harsh. I read 1-addicts and a few forums, endless debates about whether RFTs are any good. I think this time I'll try non-RFTs but will have to carry a patch kit with me.

I've rang around and tire shops don't seem to have sizes of 205/50/17 non-RFTs. Mostly 215s or 225s. My choices have now settled on the GY AS2s, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, or BS GIII. The PSS a bit out of my budget :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiadee, I am using PSS on my 335 n PS3 on my 320 and I can share with you honestly. For our normal driving including occasional trips up north, PS3 is more than enough. PSS is overkill. I use it on my 335 bcos Ps3 don't come in 19s.

Just that day, I was running at 160-170kmh on my 320 with the PS3s in Johor. Was dry and then it rained.....grips the road like a virgin....super tyre.
Michelin really knows how to make good tyres.

I ll say get PS3, value for $$.

I like it when someone actually use the word overkill.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delifruitvietnam

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back