Tools

jonoUK

Hi,
Anyone know the best place to get quality tools in Singapore, I've a bit of work to do on my suspension, brakes and fuel system.

Can anyone also recommend a good machine shop with experience on working with M50 engines

Regards

Jon

Re: Tools

you can get Snap on tools if you really want them, but they are expensive. Last time i asked it was around $6k for a set

machine shop for what? boring?

Thanks, I am looking at rebuilding the engine next year or possible replacement. Either way I will need the head skimming, valves seating, possible rebore and replacement of pistons crank inspecting etc. I have managed to borrow some unused factory space and a fork lift from a mate to do all this.
I am not necessarily after snapon but want Tools of reasonable quality (especially torque wrench) the wife I have only been able to find super expensive or real cheap rubbish.

gd luck n do share if you manage to find a torque wrench..

haven't had much luck myself either..

normal tools will be ok. you only need a socket set, some spanners and screwdrivers. As for the torque wrench, i have seen them in a few hardwar stores, cant remember where though. Probably Woodlands.

ask advice from some of the workshops listed on this site. BVO, R2D etc. They will know where to get machining done

No worries, all welcome to borrow, I have a Peake Research R5 tool if anyone wants to use, drop me a message.
I used to fix up tractors and agricultural equipment in the UK for extra cash, last year I sold all my workshop equipment as I reckoned I wouldn't need it - stupid decision with hindsight.
Mind you we had a great holiday in Germany, France and Italy with the proceeds, borrowed my cousins M3 and hit the autobahns so can't complain too much

Hi, You might want to try , Alltools Trading Pte Ltd, 161 Lavender Street #01-07/08 Singapore 338750. They have lots of brands for selection.

I have a pair of Matco 10-100 and a Snap-On 15-200 torque wrenches which I bought from the States.. The Matco has been recently calibrated.. Every trip stateside I'll buy back tools

For the M50/S50 engines, bascially you need the standard 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19mm sockets, plus 11mm for the intake manifold nuts, and 22mm for O2 sensors.. plus the assorted extensions etc.. to take off the cam trays you'll need some VANOS tools which I bought from ZDMAK I don't have an air compressor at home, so I use a 24" breaker bar instead.. worked well for me so far.. I've taken apart the engine from camshaft to conrod

Local shops are crap when it comes to tools.. and the local guys are pretty clueless too.. 90% of it is junk but usable, just don't expect them to last very long.. the china-made vanadium stuff is pretty OK I guess.. I have a lot of common wrenches I bought locally they seem to be holding up so far

jonoUK, I'm in the process of rebuilding my S52, progess is slow coz I'm a full-time corporate slave.. but you're welcome to borrow my torque wrenches if you need them.. it would be nice to talk to someone who's hands-on.. drop me a PM if you're keen :)

Joon,
Thanks, I may take you up on the Torque wrench offer next year. I have to find some garage space to rent (free space fell through) before I tackle the Engine. I have already been threatened with a lifetime in Changi jail inclusive of daily whippings etc by the Condo management for having the car on axle stands whilst replacing the brake pads and changing the oil. Reckon it will be the firing squad for engine overhaul in the carpark...lol
I managed to get a decent quality set of KTC basic automotive tools (1/2" Socket set, torx set, breaker bar, feeler gauges etc) from a company called Wing Poh at the Amtech building all for under $500. Torque wrenches were expensive ($460 for a calibrated 20-200 1/2" drive KTC brand)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky88com1
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back