Transmission too hot warning sign

Anthony05

Hi everyone,

Need help on this warning sign.
I'm driving a 2012 328I (mileage 59,000 km ) got this while driving on the NS highway.
Was on around 150-160km/h for about 1.5 hours then this warning sign came out. (Ever tried non stop for 3 hours also no problem) car can still travel after that sign came out but with "Drive at moderate speed". So I reduced speed to 120-130km/h. After 10 mins, the light went out.

Any guru here know what's the problem and what parts / problems may link with this warning sign?

I've read up on some but those similar are mainly in Europe and theirs are year 2007-2008 models. They have experienced power lost.

Thanks all in advance ! :)

Re: Transmission too hot warning sign

Engine/transmission oil overheat? What was the warning sign?

Hi bro,

The warning sign is a " transmission too hot" with a temp logo.

Car temp was around the 100 mark.

When did you change your transmission oil? Recommend to change at 30K km or 40K km.

I've experience this before during a stunt driving session where this warning came out after doing too many 180 reverse turns and slides.

I've changed the transmission oil at around 57km bro.

Wow, that was sure hot with your stunts :)

Do I need to check the seals etc ? Any idea on what's your check after your light came up?

57km or 57K km bro? Heheheh.

Not normal for transmission to heat up at 120 to 150km/hr for 1.5hrs. You may want to have your car checked. Still under warranty?

Can't remember what other error messages were displayed. Power was reduced and the error message went away after the transmission cools down.

Hahaha....

Agreed. Not normal. :( been taking it up NS highway many times. Not happened before. Yes. Still under warranty. Will go visit them to check on it. Thanks bro !! :)

Since under warranty - Maybe ask PML to double check the atf volume ...... And the heat exchanger for a start.

Also ask if they can poll all the temps (they should know which 4 to look for) and compare the results ..... Check for any atf leaks.

Drain some of the Atf and molest it .....

time for new transmission cooler kit

Anthony05;1108567 said:
Any idea if this Cooler kit is under the warranty if found faulty bro?

I think Supan is suggesting a cool mod - it's not part of the stock setup though .......

Red_Bean_Bun;1108600 said:
I think Supan is suggesting a cool mod - it's not part of the stock setup though .......

I am also waiting for a cooler kit, but this will be mainly for the engine oil cooler... Not the transmission oil cooler, dun think there is even 1 for the 335 or M3s...

But there shouldn't be any problem with the transmission unless there is something failing soon... I went all the way up to genting, and was way way faster for the entire time on NS highway with no issues...

Another 2 cents of random thoughts - The ratio of the coolant to water plays a part as well.

Water is great for its heat transfer properties but 100c evap point is too low for BMWs. Stresses the hoses when water turns gaseous.

Coolants (ethylene or propylene glycol) are great for raising the evap point of water but it's heat transfer properties are crap. So too much of it in the system would be very inefficient in cooling the engine even though pressure would be reduced.

And the choice of coolants - G48 types (not G11) are speced for BMWs .... The diff is the presence of silicon. It helps to lubricate the water pump.

Since heat transfer happens at one of the 2 heat exchangers - this is a factor that needs to checked as well .......

Seen some e60s customize atf coolers before .... One radiator, 2 hoses and perhaps a thermostat - IMHO - as long as there is space, it can be applied to any ride.......

Umm.. learning new things everyday! I drove my 335 up to Fraser Hill at 160-200 kmh most of the time, and travelling uphill and have no overheating problem. Drove up to Penang too and was a cool drive hitting the one-way journey on 60 litre of fuel! Impressed. Now start to lose mileage but have not travel long distance for a while.

Ya bro.
Been hitting the NS highway quite frequent but never encounter this. Anyway, just sent in this morning for the checks. Shall await what the diagnosis says on any faults found.

Anthony05;1108567 said:
Any idea if this Cooler kit is under the warranty if found faulty bro?

Not too sure if your car have any cooler kit. my 335 have a stock one but if you abuse your gearbox then maybe cooler kit u can get extra and link it to your radiator side.

Check if your car has it so you dun look like a fool at PML trying to claim a faulty cooler kit best is claim the entire transmission. My friend driving the last batch of 320 got a new transmission ... the 2 year old car feels shitty and heavy.

Try your luck on transmission rather then a worthless cooler kit.

all the best but PML sucks.

Red_Bean_Bun;1108600 said:

True. However come cars do come with a transmission cooler.

Seraphblade;1108601 said:
I am also waiting for a cooler kit, but this will be mainly for the engine oil cooler... Not the transmission oil cooler, dun think there is even 1 for the 335 or M3s...

But there shouldn't be any problem with the transmission unless there is something failing soon... I went all the way up to genting, and was way way faster for the entire time on NS highway with no issues...

Boss ... check out SSP cooler kit for DCT ...
1 word power!!! I will go after that ...

On engine cooler, u can consider AR design or Stett or ER ... all having very good designs also sebtrab or morel core.
+++

On transmission is see how power your car is ... what u play ... do you abuse it ... do you drag ... do you lauch control it ? do you know know to play the gears - meaning to say when to drive in auto mode, when to drive in steponic, when drive in manual and etc ...

end of the day ... do regular maintence is good enough ... smell the sweet DCT atf oil u know agar internal items condition liao ..

lf37;1110423 said:
Umm.. learning new things everyday! I drove my 335 up to Fraser Hill at 160-200 kmh most of the time, and travelling uphill and have no overheating problem. Drove up to Penang too and was a cool drive hitting the one-way journey on 60 litre of fuel! Impressed. Now start to lose mileage but have not travel long distance for a while.

It is not how fast u drive ... it is how you abuse the transmission ...

Anthony05;1110425 said:
Ya bro.
Been hitting the NS highway quite frequent but never encounter this. Anyway, just sent in this morning for the checks. Shall await what the diagnosis says on any faults found.

Boss ... relax lah ... it is saying hot nia not saying that the gearbox up lorry ...

cars too clever so give you hint that too hot nia ...

Just do a maintence on your gearbox should be good to go ...

if wana extra protection add a 200-400 bucks cooling core to your car can liao... dun ask me which one try ebay or check with your mechanic cos I dunno your car too well ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genshinlabnet

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back