Underpowered 1 series?

Re: Underpowered 1 series?

you know... i have driven many hybrids... you got to be damn careful at how you drive to achieve astronomical FC... and if done right, the mileage can be damn good. I recently clocked about 800km on 30 litres of petrol on a camry hybrid in Melbourne... but if you are florring the bugger all the time, the mileage is crappier than normal petrol cars, given that it has to carry a heavy battery along with the heavy electric motor

But with diesel, you anyhow drive, you will still get very decent FC... That is what i like...

I also have a i3 in the family... but that is a bit different... actually totally a different kettle of fish, IMHO.... the i3 is different from the usual hybrid we see on our roads... the engine (range extender) is actually running as a serial charges to the battery... so you can floor the bugger and there would be not much difference in terms of FC... the torque is out of this world...

There is no upwards or downwards in cars (in Singapore) bro... and even more so in Beemers... As long as you enjoy the car, it doesn't matter if it is a 1 series or an i8. if you don't enjoy the drive, so what if it is a 7 series?

Henry.... U r so into cars... ;)
I am 5 yrs on 1.8 Rav4, 6 yrs on Estima. I decided to try out diesel because I felt it should be better than hybrids and even the most expensive diesel is cheaper than the cheapest petrol.. ;)
Btw, i check with my SE, not sure if true but he said...
"... Decided to take it off cos out of 10 orders, almost 8 wanted the 116d model emblem to remove hence we told the factor not to install from day one.)... ;)

Nicepal,

I'm not that into cars. Ha ha. At least not anymore. I was when I was much younger. These days, it's just a mode of transports more than anything else.

The SE is not wrong. Coz if you go to the Vin Code Decoder, you can actually see that the 116D was debadged from factory. Im
just wondering why. I'm not even sure they sell any other model of the 1 series in Singapore anymore.... The whole idea of the 116d is that it's a Cat A COE, and they hope to recapture some lost market share from the Japanese car market. The rest of the 1 series requires a Cat B COE now.

I still ill don't see why they can't leave the badge there. Ha ha

Interesting that can see from Vin Code Decorder about the debadged...

As for the 1 series, they first bring in stock only 116d so that the hp can fall under Cat A to sell to compete. If you really like to have other configuration, can always get them to configure but they will tell u 3~4 months to come...
If they didnt fix up at factory the 116d, means their exfactory cost is also a little lower... ;)

henry2703;1125408 said:
Nicepal,

I'm not that into cars. Ha ha. At least not anymore. I was when I was much younger. These days, it's just a mode of transports more than anything else.

The SE is not wrong. Coz if you go to the Vin Code Decoder, you can actually see that the 116D was debadged from factory. Im
just wondering why. I'm not even sure they sell any other model of the 1 series in Singapore anymore.... The whole idea of the 116d is that it's a Cat A COE, and they hope to recapture some lost market share from the Japanese car market. The rest of the 1 series requires a Cat B COE now.

I still ill don't see why they can't leave the badge there. Ha ha
F20 LCI also got 116. 3 pot with 10x HP. Definitely falls under Cat A.

henry2703;1125400 said:
you know... i have driven many hybrids... you got to be damn careful at how you drive to achieve astronomical FC... and if done right, the mileage can be damn good. I recently clocked about 800km on 30 litres of petrol on a camry hybrid in Melbourne... but if you are florring the bugger all the time, the mileage is crappier than normal petrol cars, given that it has to carry a heavy battery along with the heavy electric motor

But with diesel, you anyhow drive, you will still get very decent FC... That is what i like...

I also have a i3 in the family... but that is a bit different... actually totally a different kettle of fish, IMHO.... the i3 is different from the usual hybrid we see on our roads... the engine (range extender) is actually running as a serial charges to the battery... so you can floor the bugger and there would be not much difference in terms of FC... the torque is out of this world...

There is no upwards or downwards in cars (in Singapore) bro... and even more so in Beemers... As long as you enjoy the car, it doesn't matter if it is a 1 series or an i8. if you don't enjoy the drive, so what if it is a 7 series?
i3 REx is not hybrid lah. REx unit charges the battery. It does not provide additional power to the car unlike F30 Hybrid or F10 Hybrid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry, Davidtch is a beemer fans ...) so far is the only guy i think can talk lots abt bmw.. ;)

Btw our 116d is only 3 cyl and not 4 cyl like in other series...

yeah.. davidtch has been around a long time... remember seeing his name. I've been in this forum on and off over the last 15 years. the previous guys were all gone... i don't know anyone else anymore.. hahahha

yep, its a 3 cylinder... don't make no difference to me... the main reason for this change is hopefully to greener... hence this and i3

davidtch;1125415 said:
F20 LCI also got 116. 3 pot with 10x HP. Definitely falls under Cat A.

i3 REx is not hybrid lah. REx unit charges the battery. It does not provide additional power to the car unlike F30 Hybrid or F10 Hybrid.

I did say that it is a serial charger mah :p

Just collected my 116d yesterday evening. Really make you felt exclusive. Not only is a car collection but they have a "Car Collection Room" for customer where they can tell u all about your car and even let you ramp the fumes without creating smell.

Below is Day 1 first impression;) cos only 56 km and (28km at car collection)

1) The engine is much noisier than the demo car. Be it inside or outside. Thus I guess their demo car they probably have put more insulation to that. Standing outside does sound like taxi "tackling" away but not as loud as theirs.

2) The engine. Comfort or Eco pro mode, for family or non thrust- thirst guy. Sports mode, feel more like a car to me.. ;)

3) When driving, noise of the diesel engine whether noisier than the petrol engine? Can't really tell much difference if lesser as still can hear, maybe my ears are not that sharp.

4) the car is small. I cannot imagine having a adult sitting behind me when I drive. Because I stand at 1.81m tall. Thus I have set Memory 1 for alone driving and Memory 2 for fetching people at rear seats. If fetching my whole family and inlaw, we still can use the other old estima so not a that bad. Else I may have leg and neck cramp after a whole day drive. Probably smaller car I will need to drive lesser to fetch colleagues when during lunch time. ;)

5) Fuel consumption will shared at later stage after I drove much further. PML/BMW gave 1 Full tank. I guess either their margin is good or diesel is so much lower than petrol. As my daily to work/home will run around 60km, I think I will only visit the diesel station probably two weeks later as the meter estimate I can drive probably another 662km.

Sales Person, not bad and pretty good. "Certified Sales Consultant", that is his job title... ;)
I guess all SE is good when come to selling, I will know more when aftersales or much later. I cannot comment much as this is my 1st beemer and he is my 1st bmw Sales Advisor.
If anyone is looking for a referral, i am happy to. I am not related to him nor looking for a kickback from him. So its at your own comfort. The most I probably get a free coffee the next time I see him. (Henry, sorry copied some of your posting, ease minimum re-typing. Paiseh)

Will keep all posted weeks to come, provided I am not too carried away by my new toy and forgotten to come back to post.. ;)

Congrats and Enjoy the car... I am still enjoying mine.

The range meter actually goes up as you drive.. which is one thing different i notice from the petrol variant... hahahha...

For example, if my petrol version says 500km at full tank, after driving 200km, the range meter will probably read 250km. I lose 50km due to driving pattern (i presumed)

In the 116d, when i collected it says 600+km as well. But after driving it for about 483km so far, the range meter is reading another 290km. So i'm getting extra mileage. I am hoping that as the car get run in, the mileage will improve further, which was my experience from my previous rides.

I don't think they install extra soundproofing materials in the demo cars. its probably the fact that it is more used, which is something positive to look forward to.

Yeah, the other main reason for switching to a small car is that i'm quite sian of having to fetch people in the car all the time... When i drive alone, i can turn my radio loud loud and anyhow drive... when there's passenger, i need to behave...

I don't tell people to spend money modding the car... but at least for a week or two, invest in 4D... and Good Luck

If your office is near macpherson, we can catch up for lunch

Henry

nicepal;1125548 said:
Just collected my 116d yesterday evening. Really make you felt exclusive. Not only is a car collection but they have a "Car Collection Room" for customer where they can tell u all about your car and even let you ramp the fumes without creating smell.

Below is Day 1 first impression;) cos only 56 km and (28km at car collection)

1) The engine is much noisier than the demo car. Be it inside or outside. Thus I guess their demo car they probably have put more insulation to that. Standing outside does sound like taxi "tackling" away but not as loud as theirs.

2) The engine. Comfort or Eco pro mode, for family or non thrust- thirst guy. Sports mode, feel more like a car to me.. ;)

3) When driving, noise of the diesel engine whether noisier than the petrol engine? Can't really tell much difference if lesser as still can hear, maybe my ears are not that sharp.

4) the car is small. I cannot imagine having a adult sitting behind me when I drive. Because I stand at 1.81m tall. Thus I have set Memory 1 for alone driving and Memory 2 for fetching people at rear seats. If fetching my whole family and inlaw, we still can use the other old estima so not a that bad. Else I may have leg and neck cramp after a whole day drive. Probably smaller car I will need to drive lesser to fetch colleagues when during lunch time. ;)

5) Fuel consumption will shared at later stage after I drove much further. PML/BMW gave 1 Full tank. I guess either their margin is good or diesel is so much lower than petrol. As my daily to work/home will run around 60km, I think I will only visit the diesel station probably two weeks later as the meter estimate I can drive probably another 662km.

Sales Person, not bad and pretty good. "Certified Sales Consultant", that is his job title... ;)
I guess all SE is good when come to selling, I will know more when aftersales or much later. I cannot comment much as this is my 1st beemer and he is my 1st bmw Sales Advisor.
If anyone is looking for a referral, i am happy to. I am not related to him nor looking for a kickback from him. So its at your own comfort. The most I probably get a free coffee the next time I see him. (Henry, sorry copied some of your posting, ease minimum re-typing. Paiseh)

Will keep all posted weeks to come, provided I am not too carried away by my new toy and forgotten to come back to post.. ;)

henry2703;1125553 said:
Congrats and Enjoy the car... I am still enjoying mine.

Henry

Thanks... me in AMK now.. bring the car in for a PPS... Zetough Ceramic... ;)

henry2703;1125553 said:
In the 116d, when i collected it says 600+km as well. But after driving it for about 483km so far, the range meter is reading another 290km.
> I will try share again 2 weeks later a weekly.... ;)

henry2703;1125553 said:
I don't think they install extra soundproofing materials in the demo cars. its probably the fact that it is more used, which is something positive to look forward to.
> I hope is really more used, because what I hear the engine sound now is like what I heard in my estima after I drove it for 2+ years... ;> what I heard even when there is radio on. during test drive, radio was off. I even stood outside the car before my test drive and asked my SE to start the car engine.. really my own car sound louder and has that "ticking sound" unless at pml is more noiser than my hdb carpark during the day....

henry2703;1125553 said:
Yeah, the other main reason for switching to a small car is that i'm quite sian of having to fetch people in the car all the time... When i drive alone, i can turn my radio loud loud
> I am ok to fetch people.. I once even tempted to get a 2 doors version, since no $ to get real sports car, probably a 2 door version will make me have that kind of feeling.. but has to fetch inlaw and kids some time, so end up getting the 4 passenger door version. So now if car smaller and passenger has more difficulty to get in,,,, means I will drive lesser while in office and = to more mileage to use... lol

henry2703;1125553 said:
I don't tell people to spend money modding the car... but at least for a week or two, invest in 4D... and Good Luck
> thanks. didn't really have much luck in that.... "working hard" life....

henry2703;1125553 said:
If your office is near macpherson, we can catch up for lunch
thanks for the offer.. I work Tuas area and stay Yishun area ;> please don't ask me why so extreme.. maybe it's life and fate so I get to enjoy my drive more than those who stay near their work place... ;) well.. never knows, maybe we will meet some day. The last time I joined car club gathering is probably around 8 years ago when I drove a 1.8l Rav4.

I think diesel needs to warm up 1st & the cluttering sound will reduce.

oh ya.. one more thing to add is this is the first time I heard a SE tell me car run in is 2000km, lower than 160km/h and lower than 4000rpm....
(though the manual stated diesel car is 2000km, lower than 150km/k and lower than 3500rpm)

mostly on my previous jap petrol cars, SE will tell me run in is 1000km, keep below 100km/h & 4000rpm. though now the distance 2000km but lower than 150km/h, how to reach there when singapore's max is only 90km/h. also the next service I think is 12000km while pertol car they will ask to go flush the engine oil after 1000km.....

One more thing to add. The foot pedal seems a little obstructive as compared to while test drive. Cos while driving my car, from fuel to brake seems a little get caught and rub at my shoe sole part. I tried when wearing my work and casual shoe. I dont remember when go test deive has such issue... Maybe the test drive and show room cars has smaller brake pedal??

nicepal, I reckon all brake pedals r d same :)
u might wanna check with your SE and c which brand of diesel they go to fill up their cars...
If my memory serves me right, one should choose d right diesel that has the cetane number recommended for your diesel engine...2 cents n cheers

They previous said Euro5 grade and sg diesel are euro5.
Brake pad wise... I later poping by to let him check as the front 12V no power... ;(

henry2703;1125553 said:
In the 116d, when i collected it says 600+km as well. But after driving it for about 483km so far, the range meter is reading another 290km. So i'm getting extra mileage. I am hoping that as the car get run in, the mileage will improve further, which was my experience from my previous rides.

mid day 1 update.

morning mileage 52km, 662km to go.
now back office mileage 104km, 702km to go.
end up extra 92km gain...; ) maybe it is the "comfort drive mode" & the "automatic start/stop " that save up all the energy to "extend" the mileage.

hmm 1 more thing to add on is . Though the Car Seats Upholstery given FOC, but they are notreal Leather. (I also didn't ask how much will the leather cost). After a night and this morning drive... I find the seats felt warm.... compared to the leather seat from my estima, my estima felt cool after drive offafter a while (unless is super hot day) but the beemer upholstery felt a little warm even after drive from pml to tuas area....;(

I've got my 116d for 2-3week already. The fc is AMAZING! I travelling everyday from east to west back and forth. My old car (petrol) weekly will cost me around $80 after discount and now w the 116d it only cost me $25 after discount. When fuel is full I can clock 950km base on the reading. Overall the car doesn't feel unpowered as least for me. No regret since day 1 just that the car sounds like a taxi when u are outside. But it feels no difference from petrol when you are in the car:)

AndreaLim. Congrats...guess we will see more of 116d on the road real soon. 950km base on a full tank is first time hearing it. Guessed u mostly on highways... If I can get 800km a tank I am happy already. Compared to estima, the best FC i got is when I cruise, max I hit also around 550 to 580km base on full tank of petrol.
With the diesel car, lower diesel pricing with longer mileage.. This is call Win-Win purchase...;)

nicepal;1125605 said:
AndreaLim. Congrats...guess we will see more of 116d on the road real soon. 950km base on a full tank is first time hearing it. Guessed u mostly on highways... If I can get 800km a tank I am happy already. Compared to estima, the best FC i got is when I cruise, max I hit also around 550 to 580km base on full tank of petrol.
With the diesel car, lower diesel pricing with longer mileage.. This is call Win-Win purchase...;)
Yes I'm usually on highway but always at rush hour. So I'm quite surprise I can hit that figure myself haha. Currently at 6.2l/100km base on trip computer :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gemwinnavy

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back