Upgrade new rims n tyres

Re: Upgrade new rims n tyres

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upsizing my rims.. Any views or advice on whether to change tires to non-run flat types? Thks..

I went for servicimg at PML today and happened to check price.

Continental 17" at $560/pcs...2 yrs warranty. Not bad.....

herohero;1031024 said:
I went for servicimg at PML today and happened to check price.

Continental 17" at $560/pcs...2 yrs warranty. Not bad.....

I got quoted Continental Contact Sports 5 18" run-flats at $330/pc.. Normal 18" is $280/pc.. 2 years agent warranty..

Ah yang;1030949 said:
Think alot ppl here also using non run flat. Juz go for it bro.

Hi bro, thks.. Just a bit concern with moving around without a spare tyre. Especially when driving up North..

tac;1031042 said:
Hi bro, thks.. Just a bit concern with moving around without a spare tyre. Especially when driving up North..

Cant really comment much cos i dun drive to malaysia. Bt dun think its a big issue cos seldom we kana nails also lah. 8yrs of driving n only my current car kana once bt the screw didnt even went all the way in n by the time i reach tyre shop the screw already drop off liao.

Upgrade new rims n tyres

Whether SG or MY, driving always comes with a risk. In SG, the quality of roads has plummeted, period. I had a 8 inch long steel spike ram through my rim (yes rims, and forged) when I was going through those roads covered with metal plates. And we don't need to talk about uneven or badly paved roads, even potholes are a dime a dozen these days. I pay $13 a day in ERP every working day and I am f'ing pissed with LTA.

Back to the topic, I have gone 15 years without a spare tyre nor RFTs. Always slow down when going through road works and watch out for obstacles on the roads at all times - prevention is better than cure. And in MY, make sure you have a quick tyre repair kit and a trustworthy AA number ready.

seanskye;1031109 said:
Whether SG or MY, driving always comes with a risk. In SG, the quality of roads has plummeted, period. I had a 8 inch long steel spike ram through my rim (yes rims, and forged) when I was going through those roads covered with metal plates. And we don't need to talk about uneven or badly paved roads, even potholes are a dime a dozen these days. I pay $13 a day in ERP every working day and I am f'ing pissed with LTA.

Back to the topic, I have gone 15 years without a spare tyre nor RFTs. Always slow down when going through road works and watch out for obstacles on the roads at all times - prevention is better than cure. And in MY, make sure you have a quick tyre repair kit and a trustworthy AA number ready.
Ot abit. Knn bro. U work s wat?? Erp so much leh. Ur erp usage higher then ur rd tax. Agree tat rd condition very bad these days. LTA..... pls do ur job

Ah yang;1031124 said:
Ot abit. Knn bro. U work s wat?? Erp so much leh. Ur erp usage higher then ur rd tax. Agree tat rd condition very bad these days. LTA..... pls do ur job

CTE+town in the morning and evening. Sometimes if got gardening jobs, even higher... sshhhh...

just share the diff btw runflat and non flat
is totally no problem to put on non runflat tyre on your car (must be 4 pc)
Pro and cons
Runflat tyre is worry free in the event of flat tyre which allow you to continue your drive for (85km at the max of 80Km.h)
so no spare tyre is needed and GOOD for Lady especially
Prevent lost control of car at high speed (suddenly lost of AIR due to punctured ) especially negotiating coner.
runflat tyre cost more generally and heavier
Less comfort due to stiff sidewall
Non runflat is opposite of above exatly
some may think or believe how often we have punctured tyre ?
Yes I do agreed that is why I refused to use runflat and I am type that do kiasu and preventive maintenance
to lower down my risk(not 100%)
did heard about people switch to NOn runflat and regretted after experienced flat tyre along ECP.1/100,000 car)
SO we can decide what we want and accept the condition
just like when drive a BMW not any other Jap or Korean , Becos BMW give more in term of Safety
Happy driving

Last edited by a moderator:

Agree. But non RF are so much better in comfort, ride, road holding, braking, noise (quieter). I'm going non RF after my original run out.

Agree, that's why 18" is max i go. Unless i'm going for circuit.
Bro Lazycat had a nice thread on F30 335 at Sepang! Great time with 245/40R18 wheels.

fredlim7007;1031426 said:
Agree. But non RF are so much better in comfort, ride, road holding, braking, noise (quieter). I'm going non RF after my original run out.

you are correct and I fully agreed .
Is good that you share your POV but others do aware that your runflat tyre benefit NO more
latest news , understand new runflat tyre has improved ride comfort / noise / road holding or performance in overall .
for those whose tyre due for change may ask for new gerneration runflat (not your current ride model tyre)

Thanks bro, will research more. But there's so much research gone into normal wheels it's going to take some time before RF can catch up!

Thanks Bro

What you said makes a lot of sense. I am beginning to suspect that my shocks are the culprit and want to get a shop that is good with diagnosing suspensions to check out what the problem is and what my options are.

You mentioned that you had your shocks replaced by B8s. Do you have any workshop that you would recommend? Which are the better shops in Singapore that are familiar with BMW suspensions?

Thanks much!

Vansoh;1026910 said:
1) your car previously was on 19" wheel;
235/35/19 (overall diameter 647.1mm)front and
275/30/19 rear (overall diameter 647.6mm).
no scraping on humps?
2) you have now change to 18" wheel;
225/40/18 Front (overall diameter 637.2mm) and
255/35/18 rear (overall diameter 635.7mm).
it is now scraping on humps.

the most likely suspect is the shocks. if Im not wrong, you are on stocks shocks now.
time for compatible shocks for your lowered springs.

I was on 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 with stock suspension - no scrapping over hump.
changed to H&R spring with stock shocks. - scraping rear over hump.
Installed Blistien B8 shocks - swee swee!
during installation of the new shocks, found the old shocks to be totally worn out. the old shocks couldnt extend after compression.

no point changing out your new wheels & tyres and still have dead shocks.
iirc, R2D has a set of H&R sport spring and B8 shocks for sale.
you can PM Rod to check if you wanna sell the B8's only.

Latest update. Put down a deposit for a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers today. Probably will be installed within two weeks. Will keep all bros updated.

Thanks very much for the advice given out by fellow forumers. Very helpful community and camaraderie!

On a sidenote, my set of Eibach lowering springs will come off the car, and is now available. Not sure how old they are because they were installed by previous owner, but they are in perfect condition. One word of warning though - using stock shocks with these might wear the shocks out - best to get matching shocks such as Bilstein B8 or Koni FSD yellows if you want to put these on.

If anyone interested PM me. Thanks guys!

redandwhite;1039319 said:
Thanks Bro

What you said makes a lot of sense. I am beginning to suspect that my shocks are the culprit and want to get a shop that is good with diagnosing suspensions to check out what the problem is and what my options are.

You mentioned that you had your shocks replaced by B8s. Do you have any workshop that you would recommend? Which are the better shops in Singapore that are familiar with BMW suspensions?

Thanks much!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8823

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back