Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

Re: Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

Stock or other oem rims the best

adam2;760111 said:
Stock or other oem rims the best

but the stocks looked severely under-sized and they look like.... skinny chicken legs. lol.
But I would think this is a problem with the rotors or brake pads rather than an upsize of the rims.

MW;754793 said:
The other effect of a larger rim is larger moment of inertia. At low speeds, the brakes have to work marginally harder to slow the wheels down. Does the squeaking happen all the time or only at very specific speeds/pedal pressures? Perhaps you were just driving faster with the new sporty wheels and glazed the pads or something like that.

Yet another effect is the hub-rotor-wheel interface itself. The squeaking happens because the pads vibrate against the rotors, but the rotors are connected to the hub and the hub is connected to the wheel. As the mass distribution changes, so does the fundamental resonant frequency. Perhaps you just hit the sweet spot with the bigger rims.

it seems like quite a numbers has the similar sound after upgraded to 20"
But why 19" or 18" no problem?
As MW mentioned about moment of Inertia (SOLID)
I tihnk this could be the possible and also the rim Offset make your wheel protrudesmore does your brake needs to work harder too.
also when weather is cold if you see carefuly they are some rust built up on the rotor surface which could also cause those noise too but after driving a while the layer shaved away no more noise.
by the way how one could hear the noise

hymth;760532 said:
but the stocks looked severely under-sized and they look like.... skinny chicken legs. lol.
But I would think this is a problem with the rotors or brake pads rather than an upsize of the rims.

There are other bigger size BMW rims

My 320 on F10 17" rims

No sound (except for falken tire noise) and no vibration at 160kmh

Anyone else has screeching problem when upgraded to larger rims. Dont want to disturb my immediate neighbours when I go chiong in the night leh

Liv2Golf;760993 said:
Anyone else has screeching problem when upgraded to larger rims. Dont want to disturb my immediate neighbours when I go chiong in the night leh

Myself, sound goes off after the wheels got warmed up. I am getting use to it already.

cymon;761044 said:
Myself, sound goes off after the wheels got warmed up. I am getting use to it already.

noise gone after the wheels got warmed up? if yes i am quite sure probably the noise is due to
the rotor surface has built up some rust so after drving the rust shaved off so noise also gone.
Happy driving:juggle:

rims bought from which shop, mind i ask...

can any one explain this.

my is new 20 rim pads and rotors.

a zing zing sound
i only get the sound on front right rim and only after a drive ie when pads warmed up.

can hear it at low speed but when i depress brake and and let car roll forward i dont hear it.

reversing car also dont hear it and cancels the noise for a short while then it s back.

its not due to rust or dust

the clue is in the brake pads, when i brake gently and allow car go 5-10/kmh its gone.

ipoh-horfun;761228 said:
rims bought from which shop, mind i ask...

bought from ah yang.

nsyt;764652 said:

a zing zing sound
i only get the sound on front right rim and only after a drive ie when pads warmed up.

can hear it at low speed but when i depress brake and and let car roll forward i dont hear it.

reversing car also dont hear it and cancels the noise for a short while then it s back.

the clue is in the brake pads, when i brake gently and allow car go 5-10/kmh its gone.

mind seems to be similar to yours.

nsyt;764652 said:

a zing zing sound

this rust or dust could also on your brake pad surface and not just the rotor
why not go back to the installer (after market product) or PML (OE) for thier opinion

cymon;754472 said:
Upgraded from 17 to 20" on my F10 and realised there're screeching sound whenever I press on the brake. The screeching sound sounds like brake pad worn out sound.

Asked shop why like that, shop said because of the bigger rims, and that is normal. Is this normal?

Any bro can help? Thank you.

Bro Cymon I got the same rims as you and yes I have the same sound. Did you manage to make it go away? Bo pian Liao I guess. We both got same problem

I have this problem also. I have change to 20 inch rim and when the brake is cold or wet, it will have this sound. after the brake is hot it will not have this sound anymore. So I think the brake cannot handle such a big size rim and I am going to change the brake system to those performance brake system like stoptech etc... hope it will fix this problem.

kerrynbaby;771511 said:
I have this problem also. I have change to 20 inch rim and when the brake is cold or wet, it will have this sound. after the brake is hot it will not have this sound anymore. So I think the brake cannot handle such a big size rim and I am going to change the brake system to those performance brake system like stoptech etc... hope it will fix this problem.

bro, please do update us whether changing to BBK will solve the problem. thank you.

Mine the same.
Changed to 20 Inch Vertini and got the sound for the last 6 months.
No sign of going away..
If BBK solve the problems means another few K to " rectify" this?

ckbmwe60;771874 said:
Mine the same.
Changed to 20 Inch Vertini and got the sound for the last 6 months.
No sign of going away..
If BBK solve the problems means another few K to " rectify" this?

Last 6 months??? Consulted pml during your servicing?

PI car.... Cannot go PML to bang table or consult unless I bring in 30k Cheque for adoption fees

The sound is like what most ppl mentioned, only when brake is cold or wet but last only a min or two.. Normal driving is good.

I ve serviced my car at BOSS, Will be going in for second service soon, in another 2-3k then I will check with them

ckbmwe60;772123 said:
I ve serviced my car at BOSS, Will be going in for second service soon, in another 2-3k then I will check with them

Cool. Do update this thread and hopefully it'd help the rest too. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbetreise
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back