Valvetronic Motor Replacement

Re: Valvetronic Motor Replacement

delrosa81;603190 said:
Hi tedlhw, I regret to hear of the problem you are facing, but davidtch is trying to be helpful. You may have interpreted his meaning in the wrong way. But the way you replied asking him to get out of the way is pretty rude. He is always helpful with all forumers who need help here. Therefore it would be more appropriate if you did not reply in this manner.

BTW, if the AD is not helping you out by just resetting the warning lights, you might wan to check your car out at BVO where they are able to do a diagnostic on your car and give you a more thorough analysis and advise on your issue.

Hope you enjoy your stay here ya! Cheers and have a great week ahead! :)

Hi bro, I frankly can't see how helpful his reply was.
It sounded more like an admonishment to me, like i should have searched before asking which i did. In fact, that was first thing i did when waiting for a quote at BOSS.

Even if i didn't i couldn't see what was wrong with my post, just asking for advice.

However, i do admit that i was in a poor frame of mind as not only did i cancel an importamt appt (my first one for the year no less) to bring the car down for a check, i was concerned that the technician (which was very helpful )at BOSS just reset the thing and asked me to try...
On top of that i waited for an hour plus for the quote...

I was thinking about potential damage to my engine becos of this that was why i asked for advice, more like a second opinion..

But for peace of mind i will probably get it done ASAP though the car seems to be running normally.

Bro davidtch, I do not know how else to interpret your comments, but i suppose there's no need to dwell on it. Please accept my apologies. Cheers.

CityTypeZ;603182 said:
valvetronic motor is not very expensive, i changed mine for less than 500. but my vibration problem is due to engine mounting and the radiator fan.
according to the machinic. if no warning light, than leave it. but if really valvetronic problem. it will cause the car to lose power. no other harm cause.

Thanks bro, for the reply.
Much appreciated.
Where did you do it at may i ask?
Its lower than my quote, which is 750 or so.

can't remember the actual price but i did it at boss. i did not change the gasket though

tedlhw;603372 said:
Hi bro, I frankly can't see how helpful his reply was.
It sounded more like an admonishment to me, like i should have searched before asking which i did. In fact, that was first thing i did when waiting for a quote at BOSS.

Even if i didn't i couldn't see what was wrong with my post, just asking for advice.

However, i do admit that i was in a poor frame of mind as not only did i cancel an importamt appt (my first one for the year no less) to bring the car down for a check, i was concerned that the technician (which was very helpful )at BOSS just reset the thing and asked me to try...
On top of that i waited for an hour plus for the quote...

I was thinking about potential damage to my engine becos of this that was why i asked for advice, more like a second opinion..

But for peace of mind i will probably get it done ASAP though the car seems to be running normally.

Bro davidtch, I do not know how else to interpret your comments, but i suppose there's no need to dwell on it. Please accept my apologies. Cheers.

IMO - Nothing you have nothing to apologize about. Personally, never liked it when forummers responds with google this or google that. What's the point of a forum then ?

My brake are squealing - "Please google squealing brakes"
Should I change my intake ? - "Please google CAI or Gruppe M"

If one has an experience to share by all means good.............. asking someone to google for own his problem why even bother visit the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

1st of all, there must be proper understanding of valvetronic. W/o proper understanding of valvetronic, would there be any exchange of knowledge when valvetronic motor spoil?

If catch no ball, we could discuss further which is the purpose of forum.

Lastly, pls read my previous post again, i said "Please google valvetronic", which is getting proper understanding of valvetronic.

tedlhw;603057 said:
Sorry to dig this old thread up. I am currently having the same issue, but the technician jist reset it and told me to drive to see if it comes up again.
Anyone having the same issue?
Any long term effects if the valvetronic motor is actually spoilt but we are driving around with it with the warning light reset?

bro, i had the same problem as you... changed the valvetronic. cost me about $850 all in all.

after 3-4 weeks, seems to be coming back to haunt me... oh gosh, i hope not...

I had this problem before on my E46 also. The warning light come up and the engine went to limp mode. Reset but the problem come back after engine because hot again. Reset a few time till can't tahan. Get it change at BVO and the problem solved.

davidtch;603432 said:
1st of all, there must be proper understanding of valvetronic. W/o proper understanding of valvetronic, would there be any exchange of knowledge when valvetronic motor spoil?

If catch no ball, we could discuss further which is the purpose of forum.

Lastly, pls read my previous post again, i said "Please google valvetronic", which is getting proper understanding of valvetronic.

Bro, actually I do not agree with your statement above. I had a similar situation just 2 days back. See, http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/46033-urgh-engine-malfunction.html

When I log into the forum to describe my situation and ask people if they had knowledge or experience on what happened, the last thing I want to hear is someone telling me that I must understand valvetronics first.

If I had googled and understood valvetronics (which in the first place my car just died and that word was not something that had crossed my mind) and why it failed, I would not have bothered asking in the forum, right?

Anyway, through my experience and the price I had to pay, I hope someone who may experience an engine malfunction will get some answers.

Cheers.

pengful;605650 said:
Bro, actually I do not agree with your statement above. I had a similar situation just 2 days back. See, http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/46033-urgh-engine-malfunction.html

When I log into the forum to describe my situation and ask people if they had knowledge or experience on what happened, the last thing I want to hear is someone telling me that I must understand valvetronics first.

If I had googled and understood valvetronics (which in the first place my car just died and that word was not something that had crossed my mind) and why it failed, I would not have bothered asking in the forum, right?

Anyway, through my experience and the price I had to pay, I hope someone who may experience an engine malfunction will get some answers.

Cheers.
I agree wif ur disagreement.

"Any long term effects if the valvetronic motor is actually spoilt but we are driving around with it with the warning light reset?"

My answer is to address the above question.

For ur problem, u r sharing ur experience with the rest of us. Since u have hit 120k, u might need to consider whether to replace both alternator & fuel pump.

My valvetronic is giving me problems again even though just replaced for a month.

While stopping at the traffic light, i can see the RPM dropped below 500, and subsequently engine died.

All these while, RPM is not consistent. Mainly in the 600-700 region when idling.

Any bros know what's the issue here?

I was tempted to ask u to google valvetronic..
But i am not going to. When i checked my valvetronic at Boss the 2nd time, they told me my eccentric shaft sensor(whatever that is) might be faulty also. Apparently that could be the problem as well. Asked if it was absolutely necessary, and he said sometimes change valvtronic the problem still come back. Ask me to replace. Problem less likely to come back.That part alone is like 700. PM me if you need the cost breakdown. Fyi, the quote is fair cos i called ard for quotes and its ard there.
Hope this helps.

tedlhw;608511 said:
I was tempted to ask u to google valvetronic..
But i am not going to. When i checked my valvetronic at Boss the 2nd time, they told me my eccentric shaft sensor(whatever that is) might be faulty also. Apparently that could be the problem as well. Asked if it was absolutely necessary, and he said sometimes change valvtronic the problem still come back. Ask me to replace. Problem less likely to come back.That part alone is like 700. PM me if you need the cost breakdown. Fyi, the quote is fair cos i called ard for quotes and its ard there.
Hope this helps.

This cannot be true. I replaced my eccentric shaft sensor + servmotor + gaskets + some other related stuffs for 800+. The eccentric shaft sensor alone cannot be 700.

Where did you do it?

pengful;608716 said:
This cannot be true. I replaced my eccentric shaft sensor + servmotor + gaskets + some other related stuffs for 800+. The eccentric shaft sensor alone cannot be 700.

Now PML cheaper than outside mechanic......maybe not.. what you change are:

Replace actuator for eccentric (I like the description) shaft, WT servomotor, profile gasket, seal flange, hose clip and some testing and checking - $885.31

Actuator for eccentric shaft is the same part as WT Servomotor. $253 (RealOEM)
Eccentric shaft sensor (not replaced by PML) cost $367.58 (RealOEM) is a seperate part not replaced in your case..

zorro;608763 said:

Replace actuator for eccentric (I like the description) shaft, WT servomotor, profile gasket, seal flange, hose clip and some testing and checking - $885.31

Eccentric shaft sensor (not replaced by PML) cost $367.58 (RealOEM) is a seperate part not replaced in your case..

Bro, my breakdown on my final bill after negotiation is this:

1) Servotronic Motor S$400
2) Eccentric Shaft Sensor: S$620
3) Labour: S$130
4) Discount S$50.

Nett S$1177 after GST.
Actually i also couldn't believe cos i didn't understand why 1 sensor cost so much.
I called around a few WSs who are site sponsors (a few floors down only) and the Senior Tech told me roughly S$1200-1300, so i decided to just go ahead since approx same price.

cool. with realoem we can find out a lot of details :D

zorro;608763 said:

BMW pure mechanicaL parts normally are not too expensive but their electromechanical parts are normally very expensive..

[
Actually i also couldn't believe cos i didn't understand why 1 sensor cost so much.
I called around a few WSs who are site sponsors (a few floors down only) and the Senior Tech told me roughly S$1200-1300, so i decided to just go ahead since approx same price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah RealOEM is fantastic...any idiot with some basic technical education can find out a lot of BMW information....The entire assembly drawings is inside..

zorro;608763 said:

Yes you are correct. Just received confirmation from PML that they only replaced the actuator and did not replace the sensor. That explains the sensor is a completely different item with a big price tag.

zorro;608926 said:
Yeah RealOEM is fantastic...any idiot with some basic technical education can find out a lot of BMW information....The entire assembly drawings is inside..
The problem is a lot of ppl nvr bother to look it up in RealOEM. When "google" was used, all hell broke loose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk88today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back