Warm up enginer b/f startign aircon?

Motofish

Hi guys,

New to bemmer, just got the E90 320i last week. I have driven many cars and have always follow the rule of warming up the engine first before turning on the aircon. Supposed to prolong life of the engine, I guess. I was told that this is not neccessary for bemmers. Can you share your experience and common practise. Thanks.

Motofish.
E90 - 320i

Re: Warm up enginer b/f startign aircon?

Motofish said:
Hi guys,

New to bemmer, just got the E90 320i last week. I have driven many cars and have always follow the rule of warming up the engine first before turning on the aircon. Supposed to prolong life of the engine, I guess. I was told that this is not neccessary for bemmers. Can you share your experience and common practise. Thanks.

Motofish.
E90 - 320i

Correct. No need............

as a matter of curiosity...why no need?

no need lah, coz waste time.

aircon is feeding off power via the belt, putting less power to the transmission. however, unless they have been changed to electric units, water pump, power steering, supercharger, alternator, etc, all also draw power. To switch off aircon until engine is heated up to release some amounts of load while still feeding power to the rest of the accessories doesnt make any sense at all, or achieve anything. one might as well disconnect every damn thing that feeds off engine power. It's too insignificant.

I do not see how an aircon compressor, switched off until the engine reached 75 dec C, is going to help prolong the engine life. What do you mean by prolong? Use it until 500000km? It's certainly insignificant to perform this "switch off" aircon action to achieve this end. I would recommend constant engine oil change, sympathetic use of engine power, proper tuning and servicing of belts, making sure valve springs, cylinder heads, vanos units, crank, cams, + all the millions of little parts in an engine are properly tuned and serviced when you reach a milestone mileage of 200000km or something like that, clearing of carbon deposits, making sure your engine doesnt overheat or run too lean/rich in it's lifespan, to be proper ways amongst many others to prolong engine life.

and definitely switching on aircon only after engine has warmed up is way at the rock bottom of the Engine Life Prolonging Priority List. Dont waste time. One might as well not switch on radio at startup, to help prolong the life of your battery.

great explanation. thanks.

RB

steady lah.

need a quick disconnect for giant alternator already.
ps i almost solve the ignition problem.

Racebred said:

aircon is feeding off power via the belt, putting less power to the transmission. however, unless they have been changed to electric units, water pump, power steering, supercharger, alternator, etc, all also draw power. To switch off aircon until engine is heated up to release some amounts of load while still feeding power to the rest of the accessories doesnt make any sense at all, or achieve anything. one might as well disconnect every damn thing that feeds off engine power. It's too insignificant.

I do not see how an aircon compressor, switched off until the engine reached 75 dec C, is going to help prolong the engine life. What do you mean by prolong? Use it until 500000km? It's certainly insignificant to perform this "switch off" aircon action to achieve this end. I would recommend constant engine oil change, sympathetic use of engine power, proper tuning and servicing of belts, making sure valve springs, cylinder heads, vanos units, crank, cams, + all the millions of little parts in an engine are properly tuned and serviced when you reach a milestone mileage of 200000km or something like that, clearing of carbon deposits, making sure your engine doesnt overheat or run too lean/rich in it's lifespan, to be proper ways amongst many others to prolong engine life.

and definitely switching on aircon only after engine has warmed up is way at the rock bottom of the Engine Life Prolonging Priority List. Dont waste time. One might as well not switch on radio at startup, to help prolong the life of your battery.

Racebred said:

erh bro .. then must we warm up engine b4 we move off ? i dun do it ... is it a must or is it better or it is wasting time ?? :helpp!:

BMW manual advises you to move off immediately after starting engine. they dont say why, but i guess its purportedly for the purpose of maximising your cat converter temp as soon as possible, so you dont go and foul up the environment during cold starts.

I understand the idling is not good for sparkplugs esp the colder variants, so no sense to let the car idle to warm up. But I would still think it would be prudent to drive gently and wait a while before whacking so that the engine oil has had a chance to circulate and protect the components. No?

personally i keep the revs below 4000rpm until my temp needle hits the middle mark, which is 75C.

Prolonging engine life means the time duration between overhauls, if you take care the engine well it will run smoothly for may be 200000km and otherwise can damage at 70000km or less. All engine needs warm up, bmw service manual says drive as soon as you start the car , that is to prevent environment pollution ,(Only a warmed up catalyst converter can do a good job) but drive slowly with minimun rpm ie;@2000 for the first 5 min of starting.by then the piston and cyl.liner will be well seated. or else the extra fuel can enter the lub.oil through the gap (piston,cyl.liner) and damage the lub.oil. If you switch on a/con and run the car first thing in the morning one have to accelerate more to move the car resulting in high rpm. Take care of your bm and enjoy the ride with minimum maintenance. Maximise your preventive maintenance and minimise your repairs.

Prolonging engine life means the time duration between overhauls, if you take care the engine well it will run smoothly for may be 200000km and otherwise can damage at 70000km or less. All engine needs warm up, bmw service manual says drive as soon as you start the car , that is to prevent environment pollution ,(Only a warmed up catalyst converter can do a good job) but drive slowly with minimun rpm ie;@2000 for the first 5 min of starting.by then the piston and cyl.liner will be well seated. or else the extra fuel can enter the lub.oil through the gap (piston,cyl.liner) and damage the lub.oil. If you switch on a/con and run the car first thing in the morning one have to accelerate more to move the car resulting in high rpm. Take care of your bm and enjoy the ride with minimum maintenance. Maximise your preventive maintenance to minimise your repairs.

Wow, restarting a 10 year old post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1jun88net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back