water vapour in Headllights on F10

ferri

Hi All,

I just collected my ride today, after a short drive from PML to home. At the basement car park found that there are water vapours inside the headlights on a new F10 car. Could anyone let me know is this normal, as it did not happen on my previous ride. I thinking of going down tomorrow to PML to seek compensation.

:boxing:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: water vapour in Headllights on F10

I've encountered this before on 2 previous e60s.

I believe the rubber sealing is not 100%. Asked PML as well as outside workshop - can open and reseal but no guarantee it will not return. Anyway its just a small patch. Observe first lor

Current F10 so far so good have not spotted any misting yet.

Current e92 also no problem for the last 5 years. Fog lights tend to mist only if its raining and i on the light -- guess its due to the heat from the bulbs.

If it persists go bang table:p

Hi,

i experience the same issue as you when i collected my F10 1.5 months ago. However, the water vapour issue just disappeared for good after a few days. Up to now, i no longer experience this problem. i suggest you monitor for a few more days before going back to PML. :)

Never kenna after 4 mths since collecting from PML

ferri;756182 said:
Hi All,

I just collected my ride today, after a short drive from PML to home. At the basement car park found that there are water vapours inside the headlights on a new F10 car. Could anyone let me know is this normal, as it did not happen on my previous ride. I thinking of going down tomorrow to PML to seek compensation.

I can already predict PML's response:

"It's a normal finding"

"We can expect this to happen after a wash or rain, as there's condensation in the headlight units"

"Doesn't mean there's anything wrong"

"The fogging comes from the drain-holes at the bottom of the headlight units"

"Asian climate is more humid"

"Next time, buy higher model range - 550i and above use better quality headlight sealant glue"

OK, probably not the last line, but that's what the Technical Manager is probably thinking though....

perfect ANSWER.
by the way, i have seen headlight vapour in bmw/audi/vw/etc
my e90 has it too each time when it rains especially at the bottom edge.

wobbles;756383 said:

"It's a normal finding"

"We can expect this to happen after a wash or rain, as there's condensation in the headlight units"

"Next time, buy higher model range - 550i and above use better quality headlight sealant glue"

OK, probably not the last line, but that's what the Technical Manager is probably thinking though....

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;756391 said:
perfect ANSWER.
by the way, i have seen headlight vapour in bmw/audi/vw/etc
my e90 has it too each time when it rains especially at the bottom edge.

Yes, I do know if any housing on the headlamp was not tighten correctly water vapour do slip-in from this openning. Anyway last nite was annoyed with what my SE say the vapour mist inside was normal.

To me this is a poor QC check or poor quality headlight being in place, they should rectify it rite.

The headlights lens assemblies are ventilated to compensate for atmospheric pressure changes. Some condensation will form on the inside of the lenses which should evaporate with headlight use in about 30-120 seconds depending on conditions. Think of it like your front windshield when it gets fogged on the inside...Basically it's the same concept. its normal bro and pml won't change it for you

ferri;756439 said:
Yes, I do know if any housing on the headlamp was not tighten correctly water vapour do slip-in from this openning. Anyway last nite was annoyed with what my SE say the vapour mist inside was normal.

To me this is a poor QC check or poor quality headlight being in place, they should rectify it rite.
U r rite to be angry. But as Wobbles said earlier, this is PML SOP answer. Either u bang table gentlemanly hard, or LL suck thumb.

wobbles;756383 said:

"It's a normal finding"

Yes that is true, that was what response from a SE. it is normally like that mist inside headlight :mad:

if your new ride sit at the Collection center that might be Air conditioned, this could happen after car wash etc etc..
my understanding is that the housing unit is not supposed to be air tight and there has to be air exchange to prevent pressure build up from heat of the bulb.
had this problem when i collected my ride back then too.. just drive around for a week and it will go away when air and humidity equalized with the environment (non air con)...

S2k;756446 said:
The headlights lens assemblies are ventilated to compensate for atmospheric pressure changes. Some condensation will form on the inside of the lenses which should evaporate with headlight use in about 30-120 seconds depending on conditions. Think of it like your front windshield when it gets fogged on the inside...Basically it's the same concept. its normal bro and pml won't change it for you

You may be rite if the mist vapour evaporate within a small period of time, if it takes 8 hrs or more to evaporate. what will you do ? Will you seek rectification on the matter?

i will seek rectification and knowing how pml will react to your claim... you need to bang harder

Anyway was at PML this morning the mist is still there since last evening , send in the ride and the TA said that he will rectify the issue. Keep you guys update in the evening.

Agree with what the bros said here. If the condensation goes away after 1 - 2 minutes, PML will offer you big vacuum cleaner to suck your thumb with.

However, if the condensation persists after EIGHT hours, then, honestly, you should shove that same vacuum cleaner up PML's backside and turn on the suction to maximum.

If need help to bang table, please don't be shy .... there are a lot of internet heroes here (like myself) willing to egg you on and ask you to jia yu, but will all tua when asked to accompany you to PML...

Good luck!

Regards,
/wobbles aka internet hero

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back