Weird rattling sound & humming sound

Re: Weird rattling sound & humming sound

elginlye;681741 said:
Yes, solved. Mine's actually a loose plastic cover (the one with BMW logo) under the bonnet. You can try yanking it gently to reproduce the sound.
Reasoning? During low rpm n moving off/ coming to a stop, engine block vibrates more, causing loose parts to rattle.

Ask PML to tighten the screws/nuts.

Was also advised to idle for >= 1 min after cold start, e.g. in the morning, or after 8 hrs parked. To allow engine oil/lubricants to circulate b4 moving off. It does make for a smoother drive, less whining sound. A preventive maintenance measure.

Bro Elginlye

I went to my usual garage and they were laughing at my prob haha..my old rex did not have this kinda prob and my bmw starts giving this type of weird noise. anyway cut the story short, i did what u did and guess what, the rattling sound went away! amazing that a simple tightening solved the irritating rattling.

Am really grateful to u for sharing your solution : ) I will be monitoring the next few days to see if it comes back. Drove the whole day without the noise so far...

what plastic cover?

NOR_1905S.jpg

elginlye;681741 said:
Yes, solved. Mine's actually a loose plastic cover (the one with BMW logo) under the bonnet. You can try yanking it gently to reproduce the sound.
Reasoning? During low rpm n moving off/ coming to a stop, engine block vibrates more, causing loose parts to rattle.

Ask PML to tighten the screws/nuts.

Was also advised to idle for >= 1 min after cold start, e.g. in the morning, or after 8 hrs parked. To allow engine oil/lubricants to circulate b4 moving off. It does make for a smoother drive, less whining sound. A preventive maintenance measure.

Contra;683414 said:
Bro Elginlye

I went to my usual garage and they were laughing at my prob haha..my old rex did not have this kinda prob and my bmw starts giving this type of weird noise. anyway cut the story short, i did what u did and guess what, the rattling sound went away! amazing that a simple tightening solved the irritating rattling.

Am really grateful to u for sharing your solution : ) I will be monitoring the next few days to see if it comes back. Drove the whole day without the noise so far...

I think thats the cover that covers the ign coils? cant' be the airbox... but the ign coil cover has no screws. *shrug*

there's only 2 things with logo under our hood from what i recall:

airbox, #13
277.png

ign coil decorative cover, #10
197.png

wt_know;683419 said:
what plastic cover?

NOR_1905S.jpg

Your engine bay is a little diff from mine, mine has a cover right in front with BMW logo, yours looks bigger. There is a single screw at the bottom.

That's the airbox... yours is the LCI

don't mind take pix and post here :thumbsup:

thanks !

Contra;683737 said:
Your engine bay is a little diff from mine, mine has a cover right in front with BMW logo, yours looks bigger. There is a single screw at the bottom.

contra,

thank you very much. will fasten the screw tight tight :lol:

Hi, does anyone here every encounter before a hollow sound coming from your IU?? it sounds like an empty cup knocking against the cup holder but yet its coming from the IU. please advise thanks!

Actually somehow JDM served me better than the 320i now, lots of problems. still wondering why pay so much to bring more worries (BMW).

because honda emblem is not blue/white propeller :lol:

featheration;688583 said:
Actually somehow JDM served me better than the 320i now, lots of problems. still wondering why pay so much to bring more worries (BMW).

wt_know;688585 said:
because honda emblem is not blue/white propeller :lol:

ya agree the blue/white propeller induce some shiokness.. but I still miss my last FD2 manual..

My turn!

Collected my ride in July, rattling sound comes on and off at the driver side. So send in for check.

1) First check can't detect the sound as it was raining. So LL

2) Went down 2nd time immediately after sound came out, test mechanic wrote a case note and submit for rectification works .

3) Went down for rectification work on Monday and took the car back in the evening.

4) Yesterday, sound did not appear as it was raining ( Or was cover up by rain)

5) This morning while driving to work, sound came back, worse there seems to be more sound. Additional rattling sound either coming from front or rear passenger side.

Pure frustration!

OhYea;679329 said:
I used to have this irritating rattling noise from the dash near the aircond vent, just few weeks after collected the car.

I sent back to PML for ratification, i was very polite. it was fixed but only last for few days.

I sent back to PML again after a while, and again i was very polite and requested the SA to get it fixed, again, the rattling noise comes back after few weeks.

I sent back to PML for the third time and for the same problem, but this time I WAS F***CKING TL AND BANG THE DARN TABLE AND I TOLD THE SA THAT DONT F***CKING TELL ME IT WILL BE FIXED AGAIN AND I JUST WANT THE RATTLING NOISE TO BE ELIMINATED PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i got it real fixed this time.

Did u ask the SE where is the source of the sound? Recently my E60 started to choo pattern as well, sound from the same area as yours, car two years though.. kam sia

i drive a 320i too..just bought it 5 months ago and now everytime i turn the steering wheel there will be this weird mechanical sound which is quite irritating. anyone have the same experience?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whiteislandcharter
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back