What causes 'whooo' sound???

martmode8850

went to have it checked at BVO... the car has this audible 'whooo' sound between 60-80km/hr... ah wee also can hear it at low speeds... ah wee thinks it is the tires... while i think it is the wheel bearing... i know the E46 is known for pre-mature wear on the bearings... my ride is the 318i SE on stock 17" rims at 44k km liao... he advised me to try and claim warranty which i am not too confident as PML will say it is tires and stamford will say it is wheel bearing...

question for the gurus...

1. will a bad wheel alignment cause pre-mature wear of the bearings? last done at stamford when i blew a tire and changed all 4 about 10k km & five months ago...
2. anyone has the toe and camber settings for the SE???
3. what if i leave it and let the tires wear out... will i do further damage to anything???

any advise will be most appreciated... :)

Re: What causes 'whooo' sound???

hi there, my ride same as yours and also giving these "whooing sound". damn irritating. done about 33km since the first set of tires when bought the car. last time went servicing at PML was told it was the low performance tires giving such noise. current thread still 60% for usage. always thought it is tire noise and looking to get set of quiet tires.

didn't ask to check on the wheel bearing, maybe i should! anyway, do let me know the outcome of your wheel bearing, if it's truly the fault.

thx

update...

went to Stamford... they checked the wheel bearing, okie... looked at the tire wear and discovered uneven wear (rear)... damn... 10k km and got it... they said it not alignment but shock absorbers... huh??? i know by 45k km the shocks are about 60% gone, but never heard of this leh...

looks like i will bear with it till it wears out in another 20-25k km...

ah wee... he is the man...

the rear axle got replaced under warranty... the sound is now totally gone...

so what did you tell performance motors about the fault? rear axle? check my wheel bearing and it is not the fault. maybe shd ask PM to check on rear axle. thanks

well.. i just complained about the noise... tester took it out with me... he said maybe bearing but possibly rear axle as the sound was from the undercarriage... he said will check throughly for me...

german engr took it out and confirmed... order parts and come back 10days later to fix under warranty...

now i am worried that the axle will spoil again after 50k km... never heard of this failing... maybe should just change axle oil like some bros here...

may i know which PM u went? east coast or alexander? got name of the german engineer? bro, do you mind to sit in my car and see if the sound is the same as yours before repair?

My mechanic said mine was due to wheel bearings. Now at his workshop for a change.

dfstan;183225 said:
may i know which PM u went? east coast or alexander? got name of the german engineer? bro, do you mind to sit in my car and see if the sound is the same as yours before repair?

sorry bro... missed your note...

went to alexandra... didnt get to speak to the german engineer but they did fix the problem...

dont mind getting in your ride to hear if it is the same noise if our time permits...

cheers...

ok, heres a strange one for you all. Since i put 18's on my car, the sound very obvious now, especially in corners. weird

phil;205126 said:
ok, heres a strange one for you all. Since i put 18's on my car, the sound very obvious now, especially in corners. weird

maybe its the people on the sidewalk.. when they see your new rims, they go "whooooo..." :yummie:

hmmm, yes could be, but the driver also makes that sound from time to time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betbond
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back