What makes BMW cars the Ultimate Driving Machine?

Re: What makes BMW cars the Ultimate Driving Machine?

BMW cars using hydraulic steering rack is still the best. Cruise control @ 150km/h. Left hand hold coke can. Right hand pull tab.
Mockngbrd;1098973 said:
They stopped using the Ultimate Driving Machine slogan for years already...

Now is "Sheer Driving Pleasure"
BMW UK is still using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, whoever believes in slogans or taglines or mottoes is a goon. Now, BMW calls it "Designed for Driving Pleasure". Guess someone is going to challenge it as well.

**Yawn** Lazy Friday afternoon is good for TCSS.

to reply to TS,

i recently just converted from CRV to 318i ... here are my thoughts

1. Road Holding - much better without body roll when cornering or taking bends
2. Comfort - about the same considering i am on 225/45/R17
3. Quietness - so much more quieter than CRV considering the 17" tyres
4. Overtaking power - this is by far my most enjoyable experience with a BMW, the power is just .... :D
5. Audio - stock audio quality is much better than stock audio in CRV
6. FC - much better than CRV, but only slightly worst than Altis (11 vs 10.2~10.3) .. this is a pleasant surprise for me

the downside
1. 3-series seriously lack of compartment in the front, so little place to store things
2. Initial pick up from total stop - this is a bit disappointing as compare to CRV, but mine is just a 318 ... cannot complain much
3. boot space - obviously cannot compare with CRV .... also cannot complain much
4. Tyre replacement - RFT tyres are just expensive, and heavy :(

I yet to go for any servicing, so i am waiting for the bomb to drop soon ...

hope it helps

nkglfrs;1099026 said:
to reply to TS,

i recently just converted from CRV to 318i ... here are my thoughts

2. Comfort - about the same considering i am on 225/45/R17
3. Quietness - so much more quieter than CRV considering the 17" tyres
4. Overtaking power - this is by far my most enjoyable experience with a BMW, the power is just .... :D
5. Audio - stock audio quality is much better than stock audio in CRV
6. FC - much better than CRV, but only slightly worst than Altis (11 vs 10.2~10.3) .. this is a pleasant surprise for me

the downside
1. 3-series seriously lack of compartment in the front, so little place to store things
2. Initial pick up from total stop - this is a bit disappointing as compare to CRV, but mine is just a 318 ... cannot complain much
3. boot space - obviously cannot compare with CRV .... also cannot complain much
4. Tyre replacement - RFT tyres are just expensive, and heavy :(

hope it helps

Can i call you bro, bro?

1) You are comparing an SUV to a sedan. No need to elaborate further... you get the drift
2) You are comparing a family car to a driver's car... leave your baggages at home
3) You are using the lowest engine cap model in the the entire BMW range (used to be the X16i range) to compare... not fair to BMW at large
4) Suspect this thread is a red herring... your serious desire to help is appreciated

The ultimate driving machine I have in my mind is vastly different from Toto's, or Kenn's, MW's, David's, Mock's, Robot's, etc. Therefore, no point debating. FYI, Kenn's UDM is the Picanto.

pengful;1099033 said:
Can i call you bro, bro?

1) You are comparing an SUV to a sedan. No need to elaborate further... you get the drift
2) You are comparing a family car to a driver's car... leave your baggages at home
3) You are using the lowest engine cap model in the the entire BMW range (used to be the X16i range) to compare... not fair to BMW at large
4) Suspect this thread is a red herring... your serious desire to help is appreciated

The ultimate driving machine I have in my mind is vastly different from Toto's, or Kenn's, MW's, David's, Mock's, Robot's, etc. Therefore, no point debating. FYI, Kenn's UDM is the Picanto.

bro, just my 2 cents.

if its uncall for, shall i delete my post?

nkglfrs;1099036 said:
bro, just my 2 cents.

if its uncall for, shall i delete my post?

Sorry, i was rude. Too much time in this forum has poisoned me deep deep.

pengful;1099038 said:

no worries bro, i guess we are all here just to TCSS and have a fun time :)

Ask pengful to piss off, he has pms. He loves his udm so much he will drive until no petrol on the highway. He da man

pengful;1099038 said:

pisss off la rude prick, u like ur udm so much u will drive until no petrol on the highway. u da man

ok, my second attempt to compare Altis to 318 .... hope this comparison is closer

2. Comfort - about the same between Altis and 318
3. Quietness - so much more quieter than Altis considering the 17" vs 15" (in Altis)
4. Overtaking power - this is by far my most enjoyable experience with a BMW, the power is just ....
5. Audio - stock audio quality is much better than stock audio in Altis
6. FC - slightly worst than Altis (11 vs 10.2~10.3) .. this is a pleasant surprise for me

the downside
2. Initial pick up from total stop - this is a bit disappointing as it is almost as slow as Altis, but mine is just a 318 ... cannot complain much
3. boot space - much smaller than Altis. I can have a Base-Tube in my Altis boot, yet i still can put in 4 full-size golf bag. 318 can only put 1 golf bag, the most 2 smaller bags
4. Tyre replacement - RFT tyres are just expensive, and heavy

Hope i don't get tekan .... :(

Try comparing Merc - Audi - BMW in the same c.c. category.

Wow! Thanks for all the comments.
Why I purchased the F10 instead of going back to merc?
1. C&C couldn't match what PML was offering for my f10
2. current E-class backseats cannot be folded down whereas f10 comes as standard
The first reason was the main one. Of course, it helped that BMWs are of equal status as the merc so it wouldn't matter since the status is still there yet my f10 is much cheaper than getting the current e200.

My prev ride was W211 - back in 1996.

I am not trying to test the car experts here in this forum but really, after owning the f10 for 4 months now, I was asking myself what makes it the UDM?
Of course it's not fair to compare the f10 to a W211 but I felt my W211 is as 'good' as the f10 :
* my last set of tires were Hankok ventus v12 245/45R17 and it was magic on my W211 - I have tried rather sharp junction corners under raining conditions and it was very stable!
* engine noise - yes, my w211 was noisier than the f10 but I've yet to try the new e200 to compare. Perhaps this is the main draw of a BMW for the layman?
* FC - merc was more efficient than this f10
* effortless drive - perhaps the f10 is slightly better than my old merc ... but then again, maybe I should compare with new e200?

Again, I do not have any opportunities to test the f10 in any fanciful or advanced situations so that's why I think the merc & bmw are both about the same for the layman like me.

For the scenario you described above, i think Infiniti or Toyota crown can do better than both premium conti

E46 = udm
F30 = sdp

Audi - refined drive
Mercs - torquey drive
BMW - punchy drive

rttc;1099078 said:
Wow! Thanks for all the comments.
Why I purchased the F10 instead of going back to merc?
1. C&C couldn't match what PML was offering for my f10
2. current E-class backseats cannot be folded down whereas f10 comes as standard
The first reason was the main one. Of course, it helped that BMWs are of equal status as the merc so it wouldn't matter since the status is still there yet my f10 is much cheaper than getting the current e200.

My prev ride was W211 - back in 1996.

I am not trying to test the car experts here in this forum but really, after owning the f10 for 4 months now, I was asking myself what makes it the UDM?
Of course it's not fair to compare the f10 to a W211 but I felt my W211 is as 'good' as the f10 :
* my last set of tires were Hankok ventus v12 245/45R17 and it was magic on my W211 - I have tried rather sharp junction corners under raining conditions and it was very stable!
* engine noise - yes, my w211 was noisier than the f10 but I've yet to try the new e200 to compare. Perhaps this is the main draw of a BMW for the layman?
* FC - merc was more efficient than this f10
* effortless drive - perhaps the f10 is slightly better than my old merc ... but then again, maybe I should compare with new e200?

Again, I do not have any opportunities to test the f10 in any fanciful or advanced situations so that's why I think the merc & bmw are both about the same for the layman like me.
Even Lexus or Infinity can achieve what had you mentioned. I would suggest you sell off F10.

Its like a $20 watch can tell time as good as a $20k rolex

So why some go for rolex?

Rather than getting a 20k Rolex, i will settle for a Swatch System51. A pc of art in Plastic.

davidtch;1099179 said:
Rather than getting a 20k Rolex, i will settle for a Swatch System51. A pc of art in Plastic.
The system51 is quite nice...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back