Wheels Magazine 2006 Tyre Test

rodders

Legendary 10 Years
http://planetsoarer.com/06tyre/index.htm

Thought I share this here with everyone. Not too sure if it's been posted before.

Wheels Magazine 2006 Tyre Test
May 2006, by Peter Scott

This is a look at the Wheels Magazine May 2006 235/45 R17 tyre test. The Article is quite long and involved - this is just a look at the summary tables.Nine tyres were tested in the popular 235/45R17 size:

I've never heard of LingLong before! Cheap at $139. Dearest was the Toyo Proxes T1R at $316. I'm a fan of the Michelin Pilot Preceda and I've had a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero. This tyre test doesn't consider noise, wear, or what the tyres are like when half worn. It's unfortunate that the most important things to me are very hard to measure without personal experience.

The Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02 has won other tests along with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. No surprises that are at the top of the Slalom test. The dearest Toyo Proxes T1R and cheapest LingLong L688 both performed poorly.

Several times I've read that the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 performs well in the wet. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx does well as well. Again the Toyo's and LingLong's bring up the rear.

The cheap Federal 595 RS has lot's of rubber on the road. Cheap at $148 and fabulous grip in the dry.

I'm not familiar with the Nokian NRY, yet again when it's wet the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 does well. Reasonably priced at $225. Looks like the Federal 595 RS is great in the dry, poor in the wet.

Again in the dry the cheap Federal 595 RS beats the others.

Toyo Proxes and LingLong disappointing again.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02 did well over all. Not many owners find the limits of adhesion in regular driving - usually it's the emergency braking in the wet that counts most. For this the Maxxis Victra MZ-Z1 could be the way to go. For a Sunday car in fine weather the Federal 595 RS with it's excellent dry weather grip would have to be considered?

Previous tyre stories:

May 2004
Best tyre for my Soarer and Magazine tyre tests
34 A4 pages:- 5 magazine tyre tests, personal experience and some circuit tyres.

Januray 2005 (These tyres are on my Celsior, still going strong - will buy again.)
KUMHO ASX ( KU21) Tyres.

The budget Pirelli PZero? The low cost Michelin Pilot Preceda? Not as much grip - much much higher treadwear coefficient - quiet and steer very well. My new 16" rims needed some tyres and Kumho ASX tyres fit the bill.

Re: Wheels Magazine 2006 Tyre Test

guessED by the time the LingLONg reaches singapore it will be know as the LaLong.... hahaha

i also never heard of them before.....

goodyear F1-GDS3?

pg7170 said:
guessED by the time the LingLONg reaches singapore it will be know as the LaLong.... hahaha

goodyear F1-GDS3?
Maybe Sing Song supermarket is bringing them in.

pg7170 said:

goodyear F1-GDS3?

music please....this is the Singapore Idol audition :

" Ling-Long....Ling-Long....you - sound - just - like Ding-Dong...
Nong Nong ago...Nong Nong ago..."

paiseh apiseh... i meant LayLONG... lalong is so out... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

ah long ... laylong the linlong while singsong the nong nong.... :)

but on the serious note... the Pzero Nero's only US$11 more expensive than the Dunlop n GY... all the hype abt that tyre.... n the cost of it over here... haizzzz

Dunlop's Sportmaxx is really looking good... almost 100% set on getting them for replacement next time.

I hv had it for 6mths now, it's really damn good value for money.

TripleM said:
I hv had it for 6mths now, it's really damn good value for money.
Mate of mine is trying to get them but seems like it's out of stock everywhere.

That's what I heard too...
Some PS2 are also outta stock. We should sell tires man..haha

I should start a rubber plantation in Batam Island and sell latex to Dunlop and Michelin.

they're pretty good for the $, although slightly noisier than the michelins..

gonna missed them wen they're traded to ppsl 2gether w my e46 this week...

Puny said:
Dunlop's Sportmaxx is really looking good... almost 100% set on getting them for replacement next time.

hi,

Just change to Goodyear F1 225/40/18" for my E90, is this a good tyres? Need come advice from the experts. :)

I actually find it hard to believe that the Toyo Proxes T1-R performed poorly.
This tire is the most favoured in the US M3 forums and those guys are serious drivers. I trust their reviews more than anything else.

TripleM said:
I actually find it hard to believe that the Toyo Proxes T1-R performed poorly.
This tire is the most favoured in the US M3 forums and those guys are serious drivers. I trust their reviews more than anything else.

I know of regular trackies who swear by this tire as well. Can't imagine it to be this bad right? was thinking of this tires for my next change..........

Yeah think u should do it, makes alot more sense economically speaking.
PS2 is just way to expensive tho I must admit it's still the best tire I hv ever tried so far. My next change will be Potenza RE-01R.....can't wait :)

TripleM said:
Yeah think u should do it, makes alot more sense economically speaking.
PS2 is just way to expensive tho I must admit it's still the best tire I hv ever tried so far. My next change will be Potenza RE-01R.....can't wait :)

wah u all suka suka only just change tyres....

errhmm can I ask how long before u replace yr tyres? 1 year?

Ahbengdriver said:
wah u all suka suka only just change tyres....

errhmm can I ask how long before u replace yr tyres? 1 year?

No man,
Will only change when it's time. Need some planning esp for 19in size u know..
But generally, it's more than 1yr I am sure. Driving style and distance travelled are more of contributing factors :)

TripleM said:
My next change will be Potenza RE-01R.....can't wait :)

Pak, just read through and saw the tires.. will change to these soon!!.. after the current set of rubbers wear out.. u noe how much for a pce already?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamewin79mobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back