Where To Get???

Champwhite

I am thinking of upgrading my tires to one with stiffer sidewalls, like Mich Pilot Sports. I understand that if the tire manufacturer collaborates with BMW, there will be a "star" stamp on the sidewalls after the model. Does Mich Pilot Sports have this stamp i.e. suitable for a BMW. I am driving a 3er Ci with some Pirelli "fuel saving" dunno wad model...

What's the price range for a 17 inch one? And where is the best (cheapest but detailed in their work) place to get it done?

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Where To Get???

Champwhite said:
I am thinking of upgrading my tires to one with stiffer sidewalls, like Mich Pilot Sports. I understand that if the tire manufacturer collaborates with BMW, there will be a "star" stamp on the sidewalls after the model. Does Mich Pilot Sports have this stamp i.e. suitable for a BMW. I am driving a 3er Ci with some Pirelli "fuel saving" dunno wad model...

What's the price range for a 17 inch one? And where is the best (cheapest but detailed in their work) place to get it done?

Thanks a bunch!

Bro,

I think Mich PS has soft sidewalls. Also, there is PS and the improved PS2. If u really want stiff sidewalls, u can consider Bridgestone Potenza S03. I have never heard of this "star" crap though. :errr:

T6 said:
Champwhite said:

Thanks a bunch!

Bro,

I think Mich PS has soft sidewalls. Also, there is PS and the improved PS2. If u really want stiff sidewalls, u can consider Bridgestone Potenza S03. I have never heard of this "star" crap though. :errr:

Is it? I thought Mich PS has stiff sidewalls. I used Bridgestone Potenza S03 for my 350Z (18 inches). They are good but very very noisy! Also, more inclined to use conti tyres than jap ones.

The "star" crap is in the monthly BMW magazine they send to us... enjoy! :laughlik:

To Admin: You mean we cannot know which shop is the cheapest and most reliable??? :thinking:

No lah, PS sidewalls definitely softer coz I switched from SO3s to PSs. Agree that the SO3s are noisier (and also higher wear rate). If there is this "star" thingey, then probably only those brands that come OEM with new BMW rides would be in contention e.g. Conti Sports and Pirelli? Juz my guess.

Champwhite said:
To Admin: You mean we cannot know which shop is the cheapest and most reliable??? :thinking:

Champwhite, I reckon it meant shop owners should not attempt to initiate an explicit sale outside of the designated "commercial" forums which they've already used for advertising their sales. In a sense, it is repetitive and encourages other vendors to do the same.

I think the "star" you are referring are "Run Flat" tires?

Champwhite said:

Thanks a bunch!

B_73_M said:
I think the "star" you are referring are "Run Flat" tires?

Champwhite said:

Thanks a bunch!

No leh... mine not run flats and has a "star" on the side walls...

Puny said:
Champwhite said:

Champwhite, I reckon it meant shop owners should not attempt to initiate an explicit sale outside of the designated "commercial" forums which they've already used for advertising their sales. In a sense, it is repetitive and encourages other vendors to do the same.

Oh.. I see. Misunderstanding then... my apologies. I still dunno where to get the tires. Leong Seng or back to PML (dun even know if they stock)?

Champwhite said:
I still dunno where to get the tires. Leong Seng or back to PML (dun even know if they stock)?

Bro,

Juz look under the workshop folder. Lots of contacts there. Best to call them up to check for availability of stock and quotation. Dun be shy to bargain on-site. The price diff of these shops at most $10-30 per tyre.

More imptly, u must decide what tyre u want and ensure that they dun give u old stock where the rubber compound may have deteriorated.

Champwhite,

SO-3 is indeed pretty stiff. As for noise, it's not that bad. One of the noisiest is Yokohama AVS Sport.

PS2 sidewall isnt that stiff and the overal tire is lighter than SO3 for the same size.

As a complete package (ie price, performance handling in both wet n dry, noise level, durability etc) , I would take SO-3 over PS. IMO, PS2 is over rated.

Ok, I m getting shot liao...

Bro, in all honesty, having used all u mentioned, aka PS, S-03 and PS2, i would have tot that PS2 is not overated....

It's definitely a quantum leap over the PS and like I mentioned when i first got the PS2, i was able to take corner at about 10-15kph higher over the same corner that i managed on the PS. In fact, i managed to shave about 3 sec from PS to PS2 in Sepang

And the fact that my PS2 have survived about 5 track day and clocked more than 40,000km on it makes it more economical than S-03 any day... :thumbsup:

the weight of the tire and rims are also another factors to note, i down size from 19" BS potenz G3 to 18" PS2 and my fuel consumption improve by 10-15%.
on my 320 M54, i avg < 400km on the 19" now i am able to get 440-450km per full tank. and braking distance also greatly reduce too . :dance:

if you go PML to buy tire they also supply PS, but the price is really high.

for weight of tire.

1. PS2 - (one of the lightest).
2. PS
3. BS - S03 (heaviest of the lot).

from tirerack their recommendation. (thats what read from website).
best of the best currently.

1. PS2
2. Goodyear F1

i think Goodyear F1 is very much cheaper than PS2.

just my 2 cents.

happy shopping.
bt

tbt said:
from tirerack their recommendation. (thats what read from website).
best of the best currently.

1. PS2
2. Goodyear F1

i think Goodyear F1 is very much cheaper than PS2.

just my 2 cents.

happy shopping.
bt

Juz to add that if not for the fact that the Goodyear F1 did not have ready stock for my tyre size, I would have gone for it simply becoz it is so much cheaper than PS. The PS and PS2s are quite ex by comparison.

piggyboyz said:
Bro, in all honesty, having used all u mentioned, aka PS, S-03 and PS2, i would have tot that PS2 is not overated....

It's definitely a quantum leap over the PS and like I mentioned when i first got the PS2, i was able to take corner at about 10-15kph higher over the same corner that i managed on the PS. In fact, i managed to shave about 3 sec from PS to PS2 in Sepang

And the fact that my PS2 have survived about 5 track day and clocked more than 40,000km on it makes it more economical than S-03 any day... :thumbsup:

WOW! That's a real testimony if I ever heard one!

It has to be PS2...

tbt,

If any you missed out on some recent detailed review done in Australia on a few Ultra High Perf tyres, SO-3 was the best all rounder. These guys really pushed the tested tires to the limit.

GdYear F1 GSD3 was top scorer in straight aquaplaning, no doubt about it but rated very low in the dry performance.

PS2 was rated a notch under SO-3.

I personally would think PS2 is a v good tire but for the price that SO-3 offers amongst its others contributing factors, it's simply irresistable..

Bro,

If u talk about price here, then u may like to know that S-03 wears out in 22000km while my PS2 is still running across my 40000km mark now...

I have got no qualms over the tyre review but then what they cannot test is long term reliability. They won be able to tell which one last longer, gives consistence performance towards the last 3mm of threadwear.. :)

piggyboyz said:
Bro,

If u talk about price here, then u may like to know that S-03 wears out in 22000km while my PS2 is still running across my 40000km mark now...

I have got no qualms over the tyre review but then what they cannot test is long term reliability. They won be able to tell which one last longer, gives consistence performance towards the last 3mm of threadwear.. :)

Hi ! Piggyboy.

I totally agreed with you regarding tyre review or even New Car review.

They cannot assure the long term reliability.

I believed the long term reliability will have to depends on user feedback :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BMWSILVER,

Agree that end user feed back is important when it comes to long term reliability opinion but dont forget that it's purely relative as the tires would hv gone through different passage of life such as harder driving, start stop start stop, alot of cornering, change of weather conditions etc. No independent review can provide this...

Whereas in independent tire review, every tire is tested in exact same condition, same driver, same car same everything and it's more accurate result in my opinion (I am assuming the reviewer is not associated with one tire company kekeke).....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789winofficial

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back