"Whining" sound from Engine

matrock

Anyone experience high pitch "whining" sound from the engine during morning cold start acceleration from e60 ?? it goes away after i reach about 40km/h...but it comes back when i slow down for turning or traffic light...my ride is coming to 80,000km,and this funny noise just appeared recently. Read about previous post about Jerky transmission during a cold start..but thats not the case... Wonder what is the problem...

Re: "Whining" sound from Engine

i also have this whining sound after every cold start, but when the temp rise the sound went off... i'm also trying to seek for advise

tatafish;543990 said:
i also have this whining sound after every cold start, but when the temp rise the sound went off... i'm also trying to seek for advise

Did u notice the sound is loudest when u r doing slow turning ?

if its the diesel turbo model....it could be your turbo unit ....

it sounds like oil cooler unit.. i'm just surprised that how come stock car do have this sound

dzuljazz2001;545379 said:
if its the diesel turbo model....it could be your turbo unit ....
In Sg, there is no turbo diesel private vehicles.

I complained of this to my regular workshop and they first narrowed problem to alternator belt needing replacement. After replacement they called to say that sound still there and they isolated problem to belt pulley and asked me for permission to replace it which I did after confirming with them that this is indeed the cause of the sound.... later in the day they called to say the sound still persisit after pulley has been replaced and blamed it on faulty alternator... cost me >$1k to replace alternator.... sound still there!!!

Divespyder;555045 said:
I complained of this to my regular workshop and they first narrowed problem to alternator belt needing replacement. After replacement they called to say that sound still there and they isolated problem to belt pulley and asked me for permission to replace it which I did after confirming with them that this is indeed the cause of the sound.... later in the day they called to say the sound still persisit after pulley has been replaced and blamed it on faulty alternator... cost me >$1k to replace alternator.... sound still there!!!

im bringing my ride to R2D for Rod to diagnose after he back from his honeymoon...there is nothing he dont know , i will keep u updated.

Divespyder;555045 said:
ask them remove everything since problem not solved. beware of quak doctors.

matrock;543959 said:
Anyone experience high pitch "whining" sound from the engine during morning cold start acceleration from e60 ?? it goes away after i reach about 40km/h...but it comes back when i slow down for turning or traffic light...my ride is coming to 80,000km,and this funny noise just appeared recently. Read about previous post about Jerky transmission during a cold start..but thats not the case... Wonder what is the problem...

i am no expert but it might be your air con compressor.

but funny thing is that it goes away after 40km/h or maybe too loud to notice it then? :whatthe:

just thinking out loud though.

Cold start or not, I had similar problem.
I just had my aircon compressor changed by PML 3 weeks ago. The whinning sound is not totally gone but much quieter now.

I have an E60 with 93,000kms and PML said it sounds like the cam belt may be loose as that causes the engine to whine first thing in the morning for about a minute until I leave the car park and speed up. It is also around that time that the belt needs to be changed.

I haven't done anything yet, but the noise even happens when I drive back from the office in the evening when the engine is still warm, so it does seem to be getting worse as time moves on.

hi bro, allen here and my ride is E66. i have the same whinning noise and have just replaced the belt pulley and tension pulley; both cost me less than S$300 including labour fr my regular workshop at tampines and it solved the problem. now the engine is very quiet. worthwhile for the rest to know. regards, allen

four_eggs;566869 said:
hi bro, allen here and my ride is E66. i have the same whinning noise and have just replaced the belt pulley and tension pulley; both cost me less than S$300 including labour fr my regular workshop at tampines and it solved the problem. now the engine is very quiet. worthwhile for the rest to know. regards, allen

i was lucky...there was sound because brake fluid depleted...haha...just top it up and no more problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777vinname

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back