White Lights

Re: White Lights

so can one just by the bulb and install like philips DV without the projection lens?

1) Philips DV is NOT a HID/Xenon bulb. It's a normal halogen bulb with blue tinting. It's a direct swap with your normal non-xenon bulbs. It filters out the yellow spectrum of the light with a blue filter so that it appears to be whitish colour. These bulbs are usually DIMMER than your yellow bulbs although they look whitish/bluish.

2) Yes, you can install HID/xenon bulbs and ballasts without the projector lens. The result is there is no control over the spread of light and you will blind everyone on the road. On top of that, you're asking for TP to catch you cos it's is BLINDINGLY obvious that you have ILLEGAL HID/Xenon headlights.

while we are at this, can i ask if i'm able to find yellowish angel eyes in the market.?? I went to BVO but it's white. I prefer to stay yellowish. furthermore, i don't have to change my bulbs and worry about LTA.

BMW never made angel eyes for E46. As such, all available E46 angel eyes are aftermarket. I would gues that white angel eyes are very much more sellable than yellow ones, hence they are extremely rare.

When angel eyes for E46 1st appeared on the market years ago, they were yellow. I believe you probably can find some old stock on ebay. But they were dim and unreliable, that's why the new ones are all CCFL (white)...

chickenbackside;170368 said:
BMW never made angel eyes for E46. As such, all available E46 angel eyes are aftermarket. I would gues that white angel eyes are very much more sellable than yellow ones, hence they are extremely rare.

When angel eyes for E46 1st appeared on the market years ago, they were yellow. I believe you probably can find some old stock on ebay. But they were dim and unreliable, that's why the new ones are all CCFL (white)...

Hey, thanks CBS!!!

when i installed Philips H7 CrystalVision white bulbs for my sis's ride, the check headlamp light lite up on the dashboard... also when i switch on the small beem the side orange signal lamps light up too and only turn off when i switch to normal beem... anyone knows how to rectify that?

she drives the previous model 318i... cheers!

Just wanted to share that I have just went to STA at Ayer Rajah today to do my inspection. I have installed the Phillip DV and was wonder if it will pass. For those who are still wondering .... I passed!

So install with confidence.

Youri;173492 said:
when i installed Philips H7 CrystalVision white bulbs for my sis's ride, the check headlamp light lite up on the dashboard... also when i switch on the small beem the side orange signal lamps light up too and only turn off when i switch to normal beem... anyone knows how to rectify that?

she drives the previous model 318i... cheers!

hmmm seems like no one else encountered this weird problem b4... oh well i'll just leave the bulbs there since they don't seem to do any harm...

Mazdaspeed Ed;180027 said:
I suggest you avoid white lights.
why do you say that? care to share problems encountered? tks

got mine fm bvo... but maybe it'd be better u call them to check their stock availability before going down, just in case.

chickenbackside;163948 said:
HID = Xenons

That is what I thought too. When i ask the sales man does the new BMW comes with HID, his reply was yes...equipped with HID. To my disappointment.. his understanding of HID means white light and Xenons are those that runs with Balas... sight....

Is Angel Eyes Xenon or just white lights?

mengteck71;185227 said:
That is what I thought too. When i ask the sales man does the new BMW comes with HID, his reply was yes...equipped with HID. To my disappointment.. his understanding of HID means white light and Xenons are those that runs with Balas... sight....

Is Angel Eyes Xenon or just white lights?

The saleman is appallingly lacking knowlege of his own products. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. By just looking at the name, one can safely guess that it's not just blue tinted halogen bulbs.

Angel eyes are NOT xenon. The white ones you see on E46's are CCFL:

Cold cathode fluorescent Lamp ( CCFL) belongs to gas discharge lamp. CCFL is a light source classified as an electronic component. In the electric field, radiant energy makes phosphor lighting.

Inside the phosphor coated glass tube, there are rare gases and a slight amount of mercury. By the reason of high electric field between two ends, a few electrons will hit electrodes. Then more and more electrons come out, as a result of this, gas discharge occurs. Mercury atoms will emit 253.7 nm ultraviolet rays.

ccfl.jpg

Features (CCFL)
High brightness, High-Efficiency, Low power consumption and long life.
Excellent vibration and impact resistance.
Durable and excellent blinking characteristics.
Quick start at low temperature.
Small size and light weight.
Low heating.

Applications (CCFL)
Backlighting for LCD.
Light sources for Scanner.
Various types of displays and decorating lights

tks for the detailed info... very enlightening. I just got my 320 on 16 Mar 07. So it should be E90 right?

HID Xenon is kinda expensive to install. that sales person quote me close to 5k from PML. Will installing Angel Eyes void the warranty? You have any good place to install?

Yes, it's an E90.

AFAIK, only E90's with xenon headlights can have angel eyes, and they are not CCFL ones, but regular halogen (yellow) ones. I don't know anyone who has retrofitted angel eyes to E90 halogen headlamp clusters yet...

I know Mike of Sin Wee Chuan has done quite a few xenon conversions for E90's. They cost around that price.

Sin Wee Chuan (Mike)
Blk 3021A Ubi Road 1 #01-40
Tel: 91074888

Yellow angel eyes? not as nice leh... doing with outside market will it void warranty with Perfomance Motors?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88cg

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back