• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

WTB: Used original higher end audio speakers for F10

rttc

Hi. I'd like to upgrade my 520's standard audio speakers to the higher range models.
Does anyone know where I can find used ones from owners who are upgrading to even higher range speakers?

Thanks!

Msg me : 91132126.

Re: WTB: Used original higher end audio speakers for F10

Few of our site sponsors that does audio upgrade will have them.
But I am sure they will suggest you upgrade to those speakers they selling.
Why would you spend on not so cheap labour charge to install some speakers that cannot make it.
The stock speakers are lousy, that's why the owners want to change them out.

Thanks for this advice. I guess it's One man's meat is another man's poison ... or something like that. I've not tried it but perhaps the Harmon Kardon option is good enough for me whereas some think this is not up to their standard yet.

I have upgraded to HK.. to me is good enough but I didn't hear other setup before. I bought the second hand set from the site sponsor. you should be able to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you have the standard audio system there's not much use upgrading the speakers. It's all powered by the small amp in the iDrive computer.

The first thing you need is an amplifier.

The next thing you need are tweeters. The reason why the audio sounds like crap is b/c of the lack of tweeters. The addition of tweeters improves sound stage and clarity a LOT.

Can you add a tweeter w/o adding an amp? Sure, yes. Does it sound better, somewhat yes.

BUT: -

1. Adding tweeter w/o amp will lower the circuit impedance and could potentially fry the small amp your iDrive, although people here (incl. myself) have done it and the iDrive still works fine.

2. The stock iDrive is tuned for the speakers w/o tweeters so the treble is terribly boosted. When I added tweeters I had to lower my treble to -8.

Finally, those with the proper "hi-fi professional" setup have some extras that the standard system does not have:

a. There's the center dash speaker which aids in creating the sound stage since the front driver and passengers aren't seated in the middle of the car.

b. There's two additional speakers in the rear doors for midrange.

You can imagine it's quite a bit of wiring job to do up the sound system. I'm not a fan of aftermarket wiring jobs. There's a reason why original wires are nicely bundled and tucked into wiring looms.

Anyway, here's the stuff I changed. I only added tweeter and upgraded my front speakers.

View attachment 61230View attachment 61231View attachment 61232

** I lowered my treble all the way to -8 later on because it was still too bright.

Do you know if the HK option comes with just different speakers or it also has a different amp from the stock F10's?

Thanks

detach8;1084672 said:
If you have the standard audio system there's not much use upgrading the speakers. It's all powered by the small amp in the iDrive computer.

The first thing you need is an amplifier.

The next thing you need are tweeters. The reason why the audio sounds like crap is b/c of the lack of tweeters. The addition of tweeters improves sound stage and clarity a LOT.

Can you add a tweeter w/o adding an amp? Sure, yes. Does it sound better, somewhat yes.

BUT: -

1. Adding tweeter w/o amp will lower the circuit impedance and could potentially fry the small amp your iDrive, although people here (incl. myself) have done it and the iDrive still works fine.

2. The stock iDrive is tuned for the speakers w/o tweeters so the treble is terribly boosted. When I added tweeters I had to lower my treble to -8.

Finally, those with the proper "hi-fi professional" setup have some extras that the standard system does not have:

a. There's the center dash speaker which aids in creating the sound stage since the front driver and passengers aren't seated in the middle of the car.

b. There's two additional speakers in the rear doors for midrange.

You can imagine it's quite a bit of wiring job to do up the sound system. I'm not a fan of aftermarket wiring jobs. There's a reason why original wires are nicely bundled and tucked into wiring looms.

Anyway, here's the stuff I changed. I only added tweeter and upgraded my front speakers.

View attachment 61230View attachment 61231View attachment 61232

** I lowered my treble all the way to -8 later on because it was still too bright.

some of the HK options (like mine) did not come with centre dashboard speaker and side door tweeters.

I had to go install them myself (Thanks to R2D).

However the amps and other speakers are the same if yours is NOT Logic 7 or TOP hifi. TOP is on 535i and above only as far as I know, unless it has been optioned in.

The standard stock amp is damn small and no power.

There's definately THREE different amplifiers. Those with hifi + B&O will also get an extra fan.

Edit: I am pak jiao. Did not see B&O amp on top.

LOL @ fan

Actually, looking at a newer parts list, there seems to be a different amp for B&O, and of course... you still get the... urm... fan

RealOEM.com   BMW F10 520d Amplifier / bracket

B&O amp part # 65129320140
Top Hi-fi amp part # 65129296113
Hi-fi amp part # 65129312592

MW, yours no tweeters + no center dash = standard hifi = no amplifier = powered by iDrive computer.

I think HK = Harmon Kardon, not HK = Hong Kong Parallel Imported. You just picha lobang yourself

u win, u da hifi expert

Now go collect ur free box of rubber bands

Will try to work out a day to explore with site sponsors on adding front tweeters. If I were to add amp, I might as well upgrade other speakers then damage will be quite bad by then.

I have previously spend long hour searching and doing my homework on Harmon Kardon upgrade from stock. This is mine finding.

To upgrade your stock to HK, it will add in more than 10 speakers into your car, with one amp (install nicely into a compartment in the boot). The damage is likely to cost around $7-9k depending where (johor cheaper) and used or new. The nice part of the install is your door and tweeter cover will have a little Harmon Kardon brand on printed, so to let people know you're on HK. There is a down side which is not plug & play. Your rear door panel will be cut open to allow the rear speaker to be install.

It is very hard to test the sound quality unless you can find a ride that has this system, going to installer chances is near to zero to test.

I eventually drop the idea because of cost, and installed Focal integrated speaker 2 way, less than $1k and happy with it.

I had a friend who installed the top of the range ICE in his previous E46 and it literally became like a cinema.

In the end he only spent like 25mins in his car almost everyday. From home in Tampines to work place in Loyang and back.

$35k+ all in.

I never say its Foo

Spending ten of thousand and evetually listen to radio, and downloaded MP3 (low quality). No justice given to your money.

I have retrofitted HK in my ride. If anyone want to listen to the setup, I am happy to let you test it. But please don't ask me to write a review because I really don't have any idea whether is good or not.... just that I feel 'song' when I listen to my music now...:shakemyb:

Ok I've finally done it!!
Just like Detach8, I added HK front tweeters and changed the front door mid-speakers.
So far, I feel the vocals are now clearer and that's all. Probably that's all we can do for 200W as compared to the full 600W from full HK package.
If I get itchy again, maybe I'll explore mixing a different but cheap&good sound system with the new HK front doors speakers (if this is possible at all).

How about just add in aftermarket system.

Focal 3 way PS165F3 for front ...around $1350
Focal PS165F3 without midbass for rear... around $1050
Focal 12" subwoofer .... around $280 each
Focal 4 channel amp ...

Is there a good amp to drive my new front door HK speakers and I can perhaps change the stock subwoofers + rear door speakers - all for < $1300 ?

hachi28;1090638 said:
How about just add in aftermarket system.

Focal 3 way PS165F3 for front ...around $1350
Focal PS165F3 without midbass for rear... around $1050
Focal 12" subwoofer .... around $280 each
Focal 4 channel amp ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back