X1 - the Good & the Bad

ek4auto

Based on the few times that I have driven my wife' s X1, IMO, these are the Good and Bad points:

1. Good
- Very good chassis dynamics for a nice ride.
- Spacious for a compact SUV, particularly legroom and boot (can fit 1 golf bag horizontally!)
- Smooth, almost seamless 6sp auto transmission
- Good visibility

2. Bad
- Heavy steering, particularly when parking
- Difficult to get a good driver's seat/steering position. Sits too low for a SUV
- Small and insufficient in-cabin storage for a SUV. Tiny glove compartment and central console.
- No spare tire because of RFTs on the vehicle; a concern when driving up to Msia

Please share your likes and dislikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: X1 - the Good & the Bad

Greetings guys,

I'm thinking of buying a 5year old X3..

Was wondering if there is anything about the X3 that I should be aware of. I test drove the car and found a slight jerk when changing from N to D.

Regards
Ck

I got my X1 sdrive20i for 3 months. This come with the new N20 engine turbo charged. Very powerful. So far the only thing I don't like is the sit is too low for a SUV.

schmuak;761652 said:
Hi Whats your fuel consumption like? Good or bad?

I don't have an average fuel consumption figure accumulated over a long period of use; I don't trust the consumption figure on the display. My guess is that the 1.8i is giving less than 8 km/L.

My N20 engine gives me 10.8Km/L. Looks very good for the moment.

Wow, that's a very good consumption average - particularly for a turbo engine. Is that from your display or is it something you have physically measured over a few tank refills, ie. fill to max, take odo reading, fill to max again at next refill, take odo reading, etc. Do this a few times and then calculate the average consumption.

ek4auto;762173 said:
Wow, that's a very good consumption average - particularly for a turbo engine. Is that from your display or is it something you have physically measured over a few tank refills, ie. fill to max, take odo reading, fill to max again at next refill, take odo reading, etc. Do this a few times and then calculate the average consumption.

It is from the on board computer reading. And based on the refuel is also quite similar. I refuel every week for 40+ L and I am running for around 500KM each week. The new engine gives very good performance and fuel consumption.

ek4auto;762229 said:
You must be very gentle on the throttle!

I am actually a heavy footer. But 70% of the time I am on the highway so the consumption is good.

With the new turbo technology, the FC is actually better than normal aspirated cars. The increased torque at low RPMs matches the heavy chassis better thus translates into better FC. Plus with the new 8 speed transmission, the highway cruising RPMs is really low. Too bad didn't have the 20i when I bought my 18i

I'm getting around 9.8km/L. Mostly highways.

10km/l for sdrive1.8 is about right. Get rid of your RFT and you should get additional 0.5km/l. I thought the seats can be adjusted? You can always lift it up whn you find it too low right? Personally, I start to like X1 as time passes. It looks very pleasant in real life and I notice many ladies love the car. SUV but yet compact and sporty. Steering should be ok when I test drove one. Its much lighter than my E90. Change your RFTs and your sterring should be lighter. Heavy steering is the characteristic of BMWs!

snowmanyee;762344 said:
10km/l for sdrive1.8 is about right. Get rid of your RFT and you should get additional 0.5km/l. I thought the seats can be adjusted? You can always lift it up whn you find it too low right? Personally, I start to like X1 as time passes. It looks very pleasant in real life and I notice many ladies love the car. SUV but yet compact and sporty. Steering should be ok when I test drove one. Its much lighter than my E90. Change your RFTs and your sterring should be lighter. Heavy steering is the characteristic of BMWs!

I was driving an E90 before I got the current X1 20i. X1 20i is really good for the hight of the seat X1 is not really a SUV BMW is position is as SAV.

I personally feel the X1's seat n steering positions have been very badly designed; its a major disappointment. Seat height has limited adjustment (even at max, it does not sit high enough as a SUV or SAV in BMW's lingo!). And once you put the seat height up to max, it is difficult to slide into the seat - even when the steering wheel is set to max height/extension.

I am also no fan of RFT; it is just not suitable for Spore! When opportunity knocks, I will definitely consider switching to non-RFT. Will worry about the "no spare tire" issue later.

epiworks;765005 said:
Good info, as for the seat ? can it compare x1 with mini countryman?

Personally I have tried both. X1 is better.

ek4auto;762636 said:
I personally feel the X1's seat n steering positions have been very badly designed; its a major disappointment. Seat height has limited adjustment (even at max, it does not sit high enough as a SUV or SAV in BMW's lingo!). And once you put the seat height up to max, it is difficult to slide into the seat - even when the steering wheel is set to max height/extension.

I am also no fan of RFT; it is just not suitable for Spore! When opportunity knocks, I will definitely consider switching to non-RFT. Will worry about the "no spare tire" issue later.

Don't worry about spare unless u drive to Malaysia. Even with punctured tyre by a nail u can still get to nearest tyre shop (even at night) since our island so small. If tyre totally gone and cannot move it's a different story, but likelihood is small I would say ;)

I'm also looking at X1 but the seat height is a concern, as one of my family member is not too tall and she always complain of the seat height in my e90....

C3P0;765290 said:
Don't worry about spare unless u drive to Malaysia. Even with punctured tyre by a nail u can still get to nearest tyre shop (even at night) since our island so small. If tyre totally gone and cannot move it's a different story, but likelihood is small I would say ;)

I'm also looking at X1 but the seat height is a concern, as one of my family member is not too tall and she always complain of the seat height in my e90....

Alamak E90 still complain?! Then must get her a child seat, but then another problem will surface... her legs might not be able to reach the pedals.

I drove my wife's X1 again today. Another "Bad" or dislike - the small driver's footwell! As a result, the pedals are very closely spaced; not good for guys with big feet!

One positive - I think the car's chassis and suspension system is excellent. Sure gives you a confident feel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88betcomvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back