X3 - what do you think of it?

TripleM

Legendary 10 Years
fighterpilot,

Seems to me that this model isnt taking off well...
Havent test driven it but when I sat in the car when it was launched, the interior feels plasticky and cheapo..

I would take Lexus RX-300 anytime, and so much cheaper too

Re: X3 - what do you think of it?

fighterpilot said:
Can you guys let me have your views on the X3? Good choice?

Dun think there are many takers. That's why so few on the rd. If u want a Bimmer SUV, consider a used X5 3.0. I think mkt asking for $210k for a used 1 yr old. I think that has much more presence.

If u want something new, get the RX300 as Jack suggested. For the price of the X3, u can get the best specced RX300 wiith change to spare.

I've tried the car. The interior is just too plasticky and cheap, hard plastics as well. A budget Jap or Korean offering may feel better even.

The drive is ok, though I find the steering wheel too thin.

It looks like a tall 3 series touring with too much plastic.
Of course, with one hell of a big price tag too!

Re: X3 - what do you think of it?

fighterpilot said:
Can you guys let me have your views on the X3? Good choice?

If you have a chance please try to open the door of 3 Series Saloon. Then you compare with X3.

3 Series Saloon ==> Very solid feel
X3 ==> Very light, Feel like korean or Japanese low end car door :(

Thanks for the feedback. I did consider the RX300. However, for some strange reason, I did not like the smell of the RX300 interior leather. I know it is strange, but the smell gives me a headache. Also, I thought that the X3's drive was better compared to the RX300.

"In fact the X3’s basic design is an unqualified triumph, although the quality of some of its appointments is questionable. It’s easy to blame this apparent slip in standards on the fact that this BMW is not made by BMW at all, but by an Austrian company called Magna Steyr. However, the maker can only work with the materials it’s given, and when these include flimsy door handles and cheap-looking plastic, it’s hard not to conclude that BMW has cut corners."

from http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14129-1113537_2,00.html

but further on in the review, they said it was one of the best SUVs they have ever driven.

TripleM,
I would take Lexus RX-300 anytime

Bro..dun you think that's a tad too common on the road?

SL2 said:
TripleM,
I would take Lexus RX-300 anytime

Bro..dun you think that's a tad too common on the road?

Can't be more common then 3 series rite? ;)

thanks for all the response. I have a question on engine performance. I have test driven the new Audi A6 3 litre. The Audi felt underpowered during the test drive. This was also the case in Sports Mode. By comparison, the X3 felt like it had a stronger pickup. Can anyone tell me that is this a case of:

1. Audi A6 has a poor engine or
2. X3's engine was configured to have a better pickup notwithstanding the lower engine capacity.

Thanks in advance.

X3, my humble opinion

Hi Fighterpilot,

Just got my X3 1 week ago from PML, my humble opinion is that it is not a SUV or MPV but it is a SAV(Sports Activity Vehicle), that is the reason BMW is trying to make it sporty, with hard plastic instead of the usual BMW interior trims and exterior looks like the X5. For about $50k difference, you can mod the SAV to your liking like AC kit$20k and interior trims$5k and AC Sports steering wheel$3k and excess to add I Drive, moonroof sports kit etc and to buy any BMW clothes(just bought a BMW kid bicycle for my princess and looking to buy a pair of sunglasses and cap and of course the Puma jacket for travelling use)! X5 is due for facelight in 1 year and test model is out in Germany but X3 is due in 7 years! X5 is only about 3" taller and bigger then the younger brother as stated by the PML Mech and sales guy and only differences are the air-con duct for the rear seats, I Drive, sliding boot and 500kg heavier(that's why entry level is 3litres).
Of course if you have lots of $$$$$ to splurge,buy the present X5 and drive for 2 years and switch to the new engine,facelight and new design X5(could be a 7 seaters).It might not be the best value for money SAV, but I feel good driving an UDM with only less than 20 X3 on the road and I do get a lot of attention and curious fellow Beemers looking at the UDM, just like my white 318i. Drive is like any Jeep like design as that is the reason for the X3 SAV existence, not a saloon, SUV or MPV.
As for our BMW.SG bros' comments about driving the Lexus RX300, the car is really too common and how can we compare driving a BMW to a Japanese car,closest makers to compare will be the VOLVO XC90, that will be a better choice or the Touareg (with Porsche and Volkswagen design and full of additional innovation like keyless ignition,air con vents for the rear seats and high end sound system). I actually prefer the Touareg, but as I have never break my support for BMW and not many of my friends have good rapport with the service for Volks, I decide to stick to PML. :dance: Pls do not be offended as i am just speaking my 10 cents worth.
As I said, its my humble opinion with no intention to make anyone unhappy! See you guys at this month end get together at Kallang.
What colour is your ride fighterpilot?
And thank you all of you bros who help me sold off my parts from my 318i. Still has the M3 bootlid spoiler to go.
:wavey:
:) ;)

Re: X3, my humble opinion

TheSaint said:
Hi Fighterpilot,

Just got my X3 1 week ago from PML, my humble opinion is that it is not a SUV or MPV but it is a SAV(Sports Activity Vehicle), that is the reason BMW is trying to make it sporty, with hard plastic instead of the usual BMW interior trims and exterior looks like the X5. For about $50k difference, you can mod the SAV to your liking like AC kit$20k and interior trims$5k and AC Sports steering wheel$3k and excess to add I Drive, moonroof sports kit etc and to buy any BMW clothes(just bought a BMW kid bicycle for my princess and looking to buy a pair of sunglasses and cap and of course the Puma jacket for travelling use)! X5 is due for facelight in 1 year and test model is out in Germany but X3 is due in 7 years! X5 is only about 3" taller and bigger then the younger brother as stated by the PML Mech and sales guy and only differences are the air-con duct for the rear seats, I Drive, sliding boot and 500kg heavier(that's why entry level is 3litres).
Of course if you have lots of $$$$$ to splurge,buy the present X5 and drive for 2 years and switch to the new engine,facelight and new design X5(could be a 7 seaters).It might not be the best value for money SAV, but I feel good driving an UDM with only less than 20 X3 on the road and I do get a lot of attention and curious fellow Beemers looking at the UDM, just like my white 318i. Drive is like any Jeep like design as that is the reason for the X3 SAV existence, not a saloon, SUV or MPV.
As for our BMW.SG bros' comments about driving the Lexus RX300, the car is really too common and how can we compare driving a BMW to a Japanese car,closest makers to compare will be the VOLVO XC90, that will be a better choice or the Touareg (with Porsche and Volkswagen design and full of additional innovation like keyless ignition,air con vents for the rear seats and high end sound system). I actually prefer the Touareg, but as I have never break my support for BMW and not many of my friends have good rapport with the service for Volks, I decide to stick to PML. :dance: Pls do not be offended as i am just speaking my 10 cents worth.
As I said, its my humble opinion with no intention to make anyone unhappy! See you guys at this month end get together at Kallang.
What colour is your ride fighterpilot?
And thank you all of you bros who help me sold off my parts from my 318i. Still has the M3 bootlid spoiler to go.
:wavey:
:) ;)

Congrats on your new ride. Most important thing is that YOU like it. Don't worry about what others feel..afterall, they're not the one paying. ;)

TheSaint,
Excellent, congrats on ur new ride and please join us for the coming meet up ok? We've had X5 but aint X3 yet so u will be the first.... :thumbsup:

I saw the X3 on Top Gear recently and the general comment was that it was made for the ROAD and not OFF-ROAD. it got stucked like 3 times during the course off road. However, the test ON road went rather well.

I think that the X3 is for those who like the X5 but do not want as bulky a SUV.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back