19" or 20" Rims. Any difference in Ride (Noise and bumppy feeling?)

Hi Everyone,
I just bought the F10 520i.

Was looking to change the stock 17" to 19", but was told that I should go for 20" rims, as the ride, in terms of comfort(feeling the road bumps) and noise are the same.

The car is a little more of a family car, ensuring my passangers are not too affected by the feel of the road bumps, so I'm just trying to balance the ride with exterior looks..:).
Appreciate any feedback on the difference.

These were the proposals :
1) To use Mich's PSS. Is this quieter than the Conti S?
2) To use Staggered compared to all rims the same(for tyre rotation). Is it true the staggered rims easier to sell later compare to getting all 4 rims on the same specs for tyre rotation?
3) I would assume that fuel consumption for the 20" is higher than the 19" becuase of the higher amount of contact to the road, but the control of the car, should be better on the 20"? Do correct me if I've mistaken?

Thanks everyone for time taken to advise. Really appreciate it.

Re: 19" or 20" Rims. Any difference in Ride (Noise and bumppy feeling?)

Chilliprince;923292 said:
Hi Everyone,

Was looking to change the stock 17" to 19", but was told that I should go for 20" rims, as the ride, in terms of comfort(feeling the road bumps) and noise are the same.

The car is a little more of a family car, ensuring my passangers are not too affected by the feel of the road bumps, so I'm just trying to balance the ride with exterior looks..:).

2) To use Staggered compared to all rims the same(for tyre rotation). Is it true the staggered rims easier to sell later compare to getting all 4 rims on the same specs for tyre rotation?
3) I would assume that fuel consumption for the 20" is higher than the 19" becuase of the higher amount of contact to the road, but the control of the car, should be better on the 20"? Do correct me if I've mistaken?

Assuming that u keep the radius constant (which is recommended) u will have lower tire profile when u go 20". Lower profile means comfort will be compromised.

Noise depends on tire type and width. No difference if u keep the width and tire type the same.

PSS is a performance tire. At some point, it can get noisy. I like tire noise as it means they are working well. I'm into performance so noise does not mean anything to me. They sound ok to me so other bros can comment on this.

Contact area of tire does not differ much irrespective of tire size. Fuel consumption may be affected due to heavier wheels (rotational weight is more punishing than static weight)

Comfort and noise are subjective. Perhaps you could get taxi rides from bros here to get a good sense.

Better control? Some improvement if tires are wider n profile lower. Dun expect too much though. Use this as an excuse to wife to buy bigger wheels.

I think just buy it if u like the look of bigger wheels. It will outweigh whatever comfort, noise, fuel etc etc issues

Go for 20" and conti 5p if you worry about comfort and noise. Conti gives it all. PSS is performance tire sure will go noisy...

The bigger the wheel the bumpier it gets .....

I m still confused as I changed from 17" to 20" n felt that my 20" damn chio and that Eng Soon doesn't sell rims.

If your number 1 priority is looks, then go 20". If you looking for comfort,less noise,then stick to 17".

My $0.00005 comments...

I find that the only difference between a 17" n 20" rims is the cost of the tyres and rims. Other than that, ride comfort, fuel consumption, control etc are all negligible.

The new F10 is so fuel efficient that even on 20", I m running on average 10L/100km. Power wise, it is decent enough to outrun a Sonata taxi at a traffic junction.

Have some confidence in the design of the F10, ride comfort wise would not be very compromised when you go on a bigger set of rims, unless your wife and kids are so sensitive to the little dent and humps on the road.

The biggest reward you can look forward to is the awesome sight of the car with the big fierce rims. That is what you want, isn't it? If not, why bother...

Cheers!

Will LTA or TP summon if change Stock 17 to other brand 20 rim now?

Will this be consider as illegal modification of vehicle parts?

Then if 20 rim from PML is legal right?

Chilliprince;923292 said:
Hi Everyone,

for your case Stock Best with RFT or PSS.....

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

MW;923443 said:
I m still confused as I changed from 17" to 20" n felt that my 20" damn chio and that Eng Soon doesn't sell rims.

This is so not confusing if and only the 20" is same as my 20"
And i did not buy from Eng Soon which is so confusing

unfit;923532 said:

Are you trying to sound confused?

If you are concerned - stay stock.....

unfit;923532 said:

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for contributing your advise.

Generally, I accept that, surely there will be a reduce level of comfort, when changing to the 20" from stock. It's a reality. But what is interesting is that most felt the new F10 with its improvements, can take to the 20", with smaller differences in feeling it, compared to the previous 5series.

Granted that regardless of the size of the tyre, anyone going over a bump fast or a pot hole, will surely feel it for a saloon car.
Bro golilok's recommendation to read thread "My Butt Review : Downsizing from 20" to 17"" is a good overview.

With regards to petrol consumption, its not the main factor. Let's face it, if we're buying this car, the fuel savings is not going to be a concern. For reduced cost, we can travel up north for pump...:).. My friend had been raving about the Petronas's 95, giving a boost in power and increase milage...I'm not sure about the future impact to the engine, but interest fact to know.

Rims and Tyres : For me would be the Looks and the driving Feel. I guess, the broader the tyres, gives a better grip and also control and response. Not forgetting, I too changed the steering wheel to the M Steering, which should be more sensitive in response.

During the BMW Advance and Intensive Driver Training, they use stock tyres and the car can take an extreme "beating". I did mine in the 325i which had the M Steering. Will register to do it again, as its in the new F30 cars, I heard.

I suppose... now I'm tilted towards changing to 20"...:)... Now its the tyre selection.
PSS or CSC? It's still mixed reviews comparing the 2, as both have equal mention of being less noisy?
wonder if there was a vote on this in the forum, as I could not find any?

Once again, thanks everyone for sharing..:)... I'm looking forward to collecting my ride...

Actually I see many having 21" n 22" rims now. Fierce

Chilliprince;923611 said:
.....Not forgetting, I too changed the steering wheel to the M Steering, which should be more sensitive in response.

Huh?.......

Hi Sandman369,

The steering weight and sensitivity of the M steering is different from the standard steering wheel. From driving experience on the 3series with standard steering and the M Steering. The car responds differently with the M Steering. M Steering give a better feeling of control and road handling. The car also responds quicker with the M steering. This is from personal driving experience, I'm not so sure about the finer technical difference.

I'm assuming the standard steering in the 5 is also different with the M version.
The thickness of the steering wheel also helps with a better grip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IVYRX

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back