2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

chershen;569221 said:
roger. ( : but i think it will be a long long time... last heard, haven't even left shore yet...

Hahaha jialat.. really wait long long liao lor..

ac323;569223 said:
Hi pbear,

solid.............

vroom vroom
cheers

Thanks bro! Looking forward to taking her out for a spin soon. :D

pbear1973;569225 said:
Hahaha jialat.. really wait long long liao lor..

Thanks bro! Looking forward to taking her out for a spin soon. :D

Cool............

PM me when is the spin ya, if time permits i will join in......

cheers

ac323;569227 said:
Cool............

PM me when is the spin ya, if time permits i will join in......

cheers

Will do! Which part of SG are you at? I'm in the West, Clementi area..

pbear1973;569233 said:
Will do! Which part of SG are you at? I'm in the West, Clementi area..

Hi pbear,

Swee.................same area (D5)

cheers

ac323;569235 said:
Hi pbear,

Swee.................same area (D5)

cheers

Sweeee lah! I'll PM you when I get the chance to take her for a spin! :D

pbear1973;569237 said:
Sweeee lah! I'll PM you when I get the chance to take her for a spin! :D

vroom vroom.................................

Hi bros,

As promised, the dyno chart. Gain of 16.6bhp/24.5Nm. Interestingly this is very, very close to what another tuner promised me, meaning that these figures are typical for a DI N46B20B engine. The torque now climbs quite a bit earlier. Interestingly the LCI engine apparently has built in throttle boost capability, so the tuner tweaked that for me too so I don't need to get SB or Pivot 3Drive.

In any case with the new Eisenmanns the engine seems to be more free-revving.. And the sound! My 4-potter no longer screams like a girl at high revs. :D

Ok, enough talk. Dyno chart time!!

dyno-3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

after looking at chersen and pbear1973 dyno chart, does that mean BMW cheats on their factory dyno?
i'm not refering to power loss. just comparing engine power the difference is > 25bhp ! it's like making a decision to buy 318 or 320 (1 notch up)
320i, 156bhp vs 128bhp (-28bhp)
318i, 136bhp vs 100bhp (-36bhp)

even after tuning (so called fully optimized) still not able to attain factory dyno result. some might say the difference could be due to climate but BMW factory test their car in a room with various climate setting from extreme cold to extreme hot, right.

ok. i'm naive to think that only japan/korea make cheats on their dyno but german marque?
furthermore, the variance is not just abit, it's out of acceptable range !
imagine that you bought a 1.25L coke and when you pour it out it is less by 18%

wt_know;569351 said:
after looking at chersen and pbear1973 dyno chart, does that mean BMW cheats on their factory dyno?
i'm not refering to power loss. just comparing engine power the difference is > 25bhp ! it's like making a decision to buy 318 or 320 (1 notch up)
320i, 156bhp vs 128bhp (-28bhp)
318i, 136bhp vs 100bhp (-36bhp)

even after tuning (so called fully optimized) still not able to attain factory dyno result. some might say the difference could be due to climate but BMW factory test their car in a room with various climate setting from extreme cold to extreme hot, right.

ok. i'm naive to think that only japan/korea make cheats on their dyno but german marque?
furthermore, the variance is not just abit, it's out of acceptable range !
imagine that you bought a 1.25L coke and when you pour it out it is less by 18%
Factory number could be crank rather than wheel. If it is crank, it should be there about due to loss in long shaft & rear differential.

So, based on dyno chart, we can conclude that it is N46B20 & not N43B20.

isn't crank equals engine power in the dyno chart ? i'm asking about engine power that is far less than factory specs.
the dyno chart has another reading for wheel power.

davidtch;569381 said:
Factory number could be crank rather than wheel. If it is crank, it should be there about due to loss in long shaft & rear differential.

So, based on dyno chart, we can conclude that it is N46B20 & not N43B20.

as pointed out by wt, the crank power is the motor power on the chart. in my thread, i was quite shocked at the difference also. but looking at it from another angle, maybe the figures quoted by BMW is the theoretical figures based on their superb German engineering mathematics?

( :

but frankly, end of the day, the drive is what matters most. the drive now is really very enjoyable now, the tuning coupled with the eisenmann.

wt_know;569389 said:
isn't crank equals engine power in the dyno chart ? i'm asking about engine power that is far less than factory specs.
the dyno chart has another reading for wheel power.
Mayb u can sent the dyno chart to BMW AG & ask. I did not read the chart in details.

haha ... cannot use mathematic equation and based on theory to formulate the power la.
it must be qualified and measured by lab test to put numbers on the specs.

your last statement is poisonous ... protective suit on to avoid poison :yummie:

chershen;569397 said:
as pointed out by wt, the crank power is the motor power on the chart. in my thread, i was quite shocked at the difference also. but looking at it from another angle, maybe the figures quoted by BMW is the theoretical figures based on their superb German engineering mathematics?

( :

but frankly, end of the day, the drive is what matters most. the drive now is really very enjoyable now, the tuning coupled with the eisenmann.

Very suprised with the consistently higher BMW claimed engine specs vs actual Dyno measurement... We should pursue this with BMW AG.
Felt cheated...all the while we thought we have 156hp engine...(at crank). The ambient temp could play a big part..

chershen;569397 said:

( :

Swee......

Nexts up? headers? down-pipe? cam shaft? (if available)

cheers

zorro;569405 said:
Very suprised with the consistently higher BMW claimed engine specs vs actual Dyno measurement... We should pursue this with BMW AG.
Felt cheated...all the while we thought we have 156hp engine...(at crank). The ambient temp could play a big part..

I think a lot of factors play a part. In my case the engine parts are probably still very tight, having clocked under 2,000 km on them, and still having a sucky average FC of 8.5 or so km/l. Other factors too might be different testing protocols. Like I said, they're "creative" and may follow protocols that lead to higher readings.

Nic told me the only engine he's ever seen that actually shows the paper bhp is the N54 engine. All the other engines.. like ours lor.. buy 1.2 liter bottle of coke, end up with only 900ml.

dyno at 7,000km (5k for you to run in your tune) and you might hit 170bhp leh .... kekeke

pbear1973;569604 said:
I think a lot of factors play a part. In my case the engine parts are probably still very tight, having clocked under 2,000 km on them, and still having a sucky average FC of 8.5 or so km/l. Other factors too might be different testing protocols. Like I said, they're "creative" and may follow protocols that lead to higher readings.

Nic told me the only engine he's ever seen that actually shows the paper bhp is the N54 engine. All the other engines.. like ours lor.. buy 1.2 liter bottle of coke, end up with only 900ml.

wt_know;569722 said:
dyno at 7,000km (5k for you to run in your tune) and you might hit 170bhp leh .... kekeke

Lol.. one thing I "know" is that when car makers dyno, they use an engine dyno and not a chassis dyno. Maybe that's the reason for the difference?

Other bros here in the know might be able to shed some light.

engine dyno ? hmm, that should do the trick.
engine dyno (swee swee) -> chasis (loss power) -> wheel (loss power) --> on the road (loss power)
1.25L coke really left with 1L nia (intentionally) .... the 0.25L (20%) is for you to feel shiok only hahaha

wt_know;569855 said:
engine dyno ? hmm, that should do the trick.
engine dyno (swee swee) -> chasis dyno (loss power) -> wheel power (loss power) --> on the road (loss power)
1.25L coke really left with 1L nia (intentionally) .... the 0.25L (20%) is for you to feel shiok only hahaha

Hahaha ya la.. but to BMW's credit, their 0-62 timings seem quite spot on, at least based on Youtube videos I've seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubproorg

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back