730li e66 probs

privi

Hi all, I am in midst of looking for a 5 yr old e66. Would appreciate if any e66 owners could shed some light on this model. Like what are the common prob u face, how to minimize getting a lousy unit etc tks!

Ps: I drove a 4 yr old e60 b4, the active steering and jerky gearbox was quite a scary experience!

Re: 730li e66 probs

Same advice as in the other thread... after doing your own inspection of the vehicle you are interested in, insist on sending to independent workshop for a thorough look over and reserve the right to call off the deal, and take back your deposit, if the workshop identifies any problems that you are not prepared to accept.

If there are problems that you can live with, you can see whether the price can be further negotiated or the dealer will rectify the problems as part of the deal, before making the final decision.

Good luck!

can ask Bro Sherman or Collin the satayman....they changed to 7er recently

i got my recently.
my considerations were:
1) price of car
2) mileage
3) interior condition

I went for STA check, i know alot of pple would say no good.
but I thk it at least tells u if car is in a real bad condition.

for a 4-5 yo car, expect normal leaks here and there, eg, radiator, tranny. all these may need repairs. how much depends on what you change. u can change 1 hose or all the hoses or all that connects to the hoses/etc..this was wat my mechanic friend tells me..anyway only left 5 yrs to drive(if only u keep it til then).

the car is nice, drives well, all accessories loaded/etc. if u into mods, I thk its limited. its ok for me as i use it as a pt a-b car.

not so nice thingy is:
-parking is not friendly, i park center lots or further from the popular spots, parallel parking is challenging. prone to bullet holes, not sure if its the size or nice target
- jerking before coming to stop, it has improved abit after reprogramming from PML and changes to my driving patterns. will go for a full service when i hit 100kkm
- pickup not so fast, maybe i became light footed now
- its a E66 not the new 7, but the price paid factor..

i think for most car buyers rite now, the case would be more like E65/E66 VS E60 525.

price difference for same year probably around 15-20k.
condition wise, 7er would be better cos chances are its mileage and usage would be comparatively less than a E60 which would tend to be used more like a daily drive.
engine wise, 7er is much bigger CC and feedback from some 7er bros who bought their ride is that the car is quite smooth when driving.
driving wise, it varies....it won't be that nimble compared to a 5er plus have to learn to give more allowance when driving/parking.

for me personally, i was considerin the E vs S class.
cos i thk E values better than 5er..dun flame me for tis..:biggun:
but i was more towards S class then consider the 7.
with than sort of depreciation it seems ver good.
better than 5 or E class. even tho runnin cost maybe higher.

given a choice, i wld go for the 6er anytime..:evillook:
but as a driver by force, CO rejected.

sszone;648531 said:
i think for most car buyers rite now, the case would be more like E65/E66 VS E60 525.

price difference for same year probably around 15-20k.
condition wise, 7er would be better cos chances are its mileage and usage would be comparatively less than a E60 which would tend to be used more like a daily drive.
engine wise, 7er is much bigger CC and feedback from some 7er bros who bought their ride is that the car is quite smooth when driving.
driving wise, it varies....it won't be that nimble compared to a 5er plus have to learn to give more allowance when driving/parking.

Actually dunno y all the 7 on sgcarmart mileage very high one...

Bought my LCI (facelifted) E65 730i half a year ago and been whacking it hard every day. Keeping it stock. Fantastic car, no problems so far except for worn bushings in the lower arms, but that is to be expected considering the way i thrash the car through humps and lumpy roads in the CBD.

Before going on my daily routine, i start 'er up and warm up about 5 mins, about the time it takes for me to finish my breakfast ciggie. This ensures that engine oil is well dispersed throughout before i abuse my baby (although many experts say it is not necessary for modern cars, i still do it. Maybe it is psychological). Not only engine oil, but also to ensure transmission is well lubed and warmed and ready to rock n roll. Also for the suspension mounts to be warmed up enough to take the shocks i am gonna give them. Could be my imagination though, but i always feel the car rides over bumps and depressions better after warming up, as opposed to clunking though uneven roads when cold.

Engine has no leaks, burns a bit of oil though. Transmission still smooth as butter, it takes some getting used to the throttle, modulating it with your right foot to avoid jerking, especially when it kicks down from 2nd to 1st gear when you attempt to blast off from standstill. Wearing thin-soled driving shoes (like TOD'S or Prada) helps a lot in "feeling" the throttle pedal.

258 bhp, 300 Nm for a naturally asiprated 3000cc so mai hiam lah, is not bad liao for a relatively small-engined luxury barge. I consider 3000 cc small because in the USA they don't even bother with the 730i/Li. They go right away to 745/750/760 i/Li.

Noting its sheer size, it is surprisingly much faster than many poseur Jap and Korean cars out there, except the higher end Lexus. It is even faster during hard acceleration than the supercharged C180/200, IS250, Audi A4 1.8T, so you can whack all these boy racers out there in short traffic light sprints AND 0-100km/h up the ECP. After 100km/h, no need to say. This engine never runs out of breath on Singapore roads, unless you're thinking of killing yourself at 200km/h. Think the S350 is slightly faster during acceleration. But 730i accelerates faster than Audi A8 3.2L. I am comparing used models of the above cars. The new Audi 3.0L supercharged is awesome.

Handling-wise, fantastic considering the sideways g's this 1900kg behemoth generates every time you whack hard into a curve. Amazing that even stock, this fat piggy out-corners smaller cars like C Class and A4 fwd. Of course E60 and E90/92/93 handle better but that's cause they are also BMWs. Try it yourselves at the CTE branch out into the TPE, gar gar lai, step on it and feel the telepathic way the entire chassis turns towards the direction your steering points. You cannot believe it is a 1,900kg full sized luxury car you are driving.

Jeremy Clarkson was right: BMWs seem to shrink in size the faster you drive them.

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a tiny push button (hard to see) on the display glass.

If you are referring to the iDrive system, tab the console control once.

shama_lover;764745 said:
Hi guys need some advise. Just got myself a 05 E66, may I know how do I reset the trip meter? Thanks

shama_lover;764745 said:
Hi guys need some advise. Just got myself a 05 E66, may I know how do I reset the trip meter? Thanks

Are you who I think you are?

Hi Guys
Just Had a 2008 E66 and found the cig lighter socket dun work and try changing the fuse . but later found that check the dash fuse box created another problem the radio, GPS and bluetooth now not working. How to reset that? the meanu all there just not radio chs and no maps etc. Anyone can help? Thank s

falcon763;780238 said:
Hi Guys
Just Had a 2008 E66 and found the cig lighter socket dun work and try changing the fuse . but later found that check the dash fuse box created another problem the radio, GPS and bluetooth now not working. How to reset that? the meanu all there just not radio chs and no maps etc. Anyone can help? Thank s

Hi u may want to visit a workshop to check it out. Something may be causing the fuses to blow and no point u keep changing fuses without rectifying the root of the problem (which can be anything!).
I did mine at R2D, turn out that there's a piece of metal inside the cig lighter socket that keep causing the fuses to blow.
If useful pls thank me, thank you.

Hi C3P0

Thanks for that information but the fuse does blow but the on -board computer does not show any thing so we need to get it done at workshop or can we reset it on our own?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lokhung247net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back