730li e66 probs

Re: 730li e66 probs

It's a very nice car. Pay extra cautious 'cos service centre tends to charge more for maintenance and repair. Oil consumption is also slightly more.

Hi,

New here. I just bought a 2007 E66 730Li.
I noticed some engine covers are silver while some are black.
What's the difference?

shama_lover;860738 said:
just discovered a new prob. whenever my car come to a stop or slow down at traffic light, there will be a jerk like dropping gear. is it a sign that my gearbox is gone? my is a E66 btw
anyone ever experience this prob before?

Sorry to bring up a 3 1/2 month old post, but this helped for me:

1) Insert key (don't put foot on brake).
2) Press 'Start' button once, but do not start engine.
3) Press accelerator pedal down to floor and hold for 25 secs - put your foot down past the "click".
4) Remove foot from accelerator and step on brake pedal. Start engine & drive car normally.
5) Note - over time, transmission will 'learn' your driving style and adapt to it, so repeat regularly if experiencing any problems.

Hope it helps.

kflee72;920833 said:
Hi,

New here. I just bought a 2007 E66 730Li.
I noticed some engine covers are silver while some are black.
What's the difference?

I believe there is no difference. The N52 engine, whether in 2.5 or 3.0 liter guise can have either a black cover or a silver one. I can't find a pattern - it's almost random.

Hi Greymatter,

Thanks. I have heard there are 3 versions. 231bhp, 256bhp and 265bhp.

Is it true?

This is interesting. What does this actually do? I can't see the link between saving the gearbox and getting the ecu to learn my driving style.

greymatter;920934 said:
Sorry to bring up a 3 1/2 month old post, but this helped for me:

1) Insert key (don't put foot on brake).
2) Press 'Start' button once, but do not start engine.
3) Press accelerator pedal down to floor and hold for 25 secs - put your foot down past the "click".
4) Remove foot from accelerator and step on brake pedal. Start engine & drive car normally.
5) Note - over time, transmission will 'learn' your driving style and adapt to it, so repeat regularly if experiencing any problems.

Hope it helps.

nextreal;921131 said:
This is interesting. What does this actually do? I can't see the link between saving the gearbox and getting the ecu to learn my driving style.

True. The ECU adapts to your driving style over time, including the transmission shift points. The procedure "resets" the values back to default. So theoretically, if the OP is experiencing uncharacteristic shifting, hitting reset might cure the problem.

I had this hard downshift issue when I moved to a place where I have to drive uphill every time I go out. In the morning, when the engine is cold I am reluctant to use too much throttle pulling up the slope. But the car would bog down in 2nd (I think), then abruptly downshift to 1st. After I did the "reset" the downshift is much smoother. It may also be because I give it a little more gas going up that slope.

Try it. Remember to time 25 secs. You may be pleasantly surprised :):):):)

Somewhere else, somebody called this Throttle Body Adaptation reset. But the timing given was only 5 sec (instead of 25 sec here). And after flooring the pedal, got to wait 2 minutes before driving off.

Which version is correct?

kflee72;920947 said:
Hi Greymatter,

Thanks. I have heard there are 3 versions. 231bhp, 256bhp and 265bhp.

Is it true?

Have a look at this: BMW N52 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Singapore, the N52 comes in two tunes for the 2.5 liter variant: 175bhp (523i) and 218bhp (325i/525i/Z4 2.5i). The 3.0 liter variant produces 258bhp (330i/530i/730i/Z4 3.0i). I may be wrong, but I don't think our market carries any other variant of the N52.

MapleLeaf;921149 said:
Somewhere else, somebody called this Throttle Body Adaptation reset. But the timing given was only 5 sec (instead of 25 sec here). And after flooring the pedal, got to wait 2 minutes before driving off.

Which version is correct?

I guess there's only one way to find out! :yikess:
Anyway my car is due for a "reset" before this weekend's drive up to KL. The bimmer is actually my wife's ride, so it's good to wipe the "Aunty Settings" once in a while...
FWIW I'll try 4 things:

1. 5 secs pedal down + 2 mins sit on hands
2. 25 secs pedal down + 2 mins sit on hands
3. (5 + 25 secs) pedal down + 2 mins sit on hands
4. all the above minus sit on hands

Wait a minute - that's 6 things. I wonder how long it takes for "Aunty Settings" to set in :nutkick:

From what I understand, for cars manufactured pre 09/2005, the valve cover is black and one of the differences are the breather hose from valve cover to oil separator.

Anyway in my 2 mths of ownership, I have encountered a few of the common problems on the car which are relatively cheap to fix.

1) Parking brake failure - ordered the replacement gears from odometergears.com $160usd.
2) DSC/ABS control unit failure (ABS/DSC/Servotronic/DTC/Cruise Control inactive lights up) - $800
3) Coolant tank leak - $160
4) Wear and tear replacement engine mounting, gearbox mounting, prop shaft flex disc, ATF + Filter, Oil Svc + Spark Plugs, Valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket - $1.9k

Plan to do the water pump and thermostat next, probably do the alternator($500 part) and AC Compressor($700 part) in the near future when changing the belt and tensioner.

Hi all, I'm new here and probably will need help and advises (hopefullt not) from you all. So a BIG thank you from me first. BTW, mine is a 2005 E66 730Li (hope I got it right)

Got my 6 yrs old e66 740 since sept last year. Spent a total of about $4k so far and the car drives beautiful despite it has a mileage of 140k km.

Care to share what you spent on? It's quite a lot actually.
maxxx;945299 said:
Got my 6 yrs old e66 740 since sept last year. Spent a total of about $4k so far and the car drives beautiful despite it has a mileage of 140k km.

Thomas7;945365 said:
Care to share what you spent on? It's quite a lot actually.

gear box and door brakes already cost me close to $2k. And many others nitty gritty stuff. It's not perfect but for a car of that age and mileage it drives really well.

nextreal;945367 said:
For this car, $4k is not really considered "a lot". My parking brake actuator replacement already cost me $1.1k.

I agree, $4k is not a lot for a car like this.

maxxx;946858 said:
I agree, $4k is not a lot for a car like this.

4 months $4K to upkeep. I certainly hope it's not a regular expenditure. I need to pray hard mine no serious problem.

nah, its not up keeping. Just wanna get it done and so far so good. No major issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33winprome

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back