730li e66 probs

Re: 730li e66 probs

mambojumbo;930086 said:
From what I understand, for cars manufactured pre 09/2005, the valve cover is black and one of the differences are the breather hose from valve cover to oil separator.

Anyway in my 2 mths of ownership, I have encountered a few of the common problems on the car which are relatively cheap to fix.

1) Parking brake failure - ordered the replacement gears from odometergears.com $160usd.
Plan to do the water pump and thermostat next, probably do the alternator($500 part) and AC Compressor($700 part) in the near future when changing the belt and tensioner.

Hi bro mambojumbo,

Send a PM to you regarding your repair on the parking brake failure. Not sure you read it? Need some advise on this. Thanks!

Cheers!

Hi guys. Need some advice. Encountered error mesg "drive control system failure, drive moderately and contact BMW.............". Realised my signal lights do not auto cancel after making a turn but need to manually cancel the signal lights. Car still can be driven as it is "yellow alarm", not "red". Did anyone encounter the same problem and any idea of the repair cost and duration? What parts could be faulty? Thanks.

Hi I encountered the same problem. It could be due to the steering control sensor. I have the signal cancel issues as well plus parking brake fault. Will be sending in my car for servicing soon,

Just sent in my car on Monday to Munich Automobiles to check on the "drive control system failure". Excellent services there compared to PML East Coast which I used to go. Technician immediately hook up his computer and try to reset fault but it reappeared after a few test turns of the steering. Confirmed steering angle sensor was faulty which must be replaced together with coil spring. New parts were available in BMW Malaysia after they checked in the system and was quoted approx SGD1350 to replace inc labour. Parts were assured to be genuine and given 2years warranty inc labour - same like PML - in fact I was told all charges same as PML as they are all authorised service centres by BMW and parts are same price - even labour.

I quickly called my other contacts / workshop and was quoted from SGD1000-1500 for a few workshop. Reason for being so expensive is that it will take a few hours reprograming after new parts installed. However, warranty given from these third party workshop ranges from 6months to a year max and take approx 10days to get parts from Germany. None can offer 2years warranty.
Thus, for SGD300+ extra in Munich Automobiles, I can have a peace of mind for next 2years as I believed steering and signals lights are what we used daily repeatedly and better to have 2years warranty and moreover, don't foresee I will change my now 5year old car in next 1-2 year due to new rule of 50% downpayment for car purchase. Best of all, Munich Automobiles can get parts in same day evening and my car will be ready for collection next day late noon - which is what I wanted. If same will to be done in PML, I would have waited for a few days in the queue and service attitude is nowhere near as well. Lastly, their workshop is very clean and spacious compared to third party workshop whereby you worry whether your car will be scatched by the congested & dirty workshop.........

I paid another SGD50 for them to deliver my car back to my office the next day (Tuesday late noon) which is saves hassle of going to their workshop to collect the car. Quite surprise that car turned up clean and shiny as they have washed the car and vacumn the interior. Also, they changed my car registration plate frames (original printed PML but wordings are fading due to long usage) to their own "Munich Automobiles" with nice BMW logo and the classis M Logo/stripes. It was not chargeable and sort of free advertising for them but I do not mind as I get a new set of plate frames ;)

The faulty sterring angle sensor and coil spring was stored in a box and place in my car trunk to let me have an idea how it look like and also to show that the parts have been replaced.

I also purchased the 3 times servicing packaging with free car checks at SGD800+ which comes with free wiper wash cleaner as well - few weeks ago before above repairs and found that engine was more eager to revs and accelerator pedal feels "lighter". Was told that the engine oil used is different from what PML used. The package cost is also cheaper than PML which if I'm can recall, charges SGD315 per servicing and SGD15 for the wiper wash cleaner.

Above are my good experiences from Munich Automobiles for info sharing which you guys can consider for servicing and repairs.

lol. to add on, they have sweet lady to serve you coffee while you are there. Too bad that they dun allow me to bring in my mobil one oil for servicing which PML allow without voiding the warranty or else I would have buy their servicing package. Hey, I'm a die hard fan of mobil one.

Hi I need some advice. I have a 2005 E66 which gives out a whinning sound, the mechanic say its the rear axle that is giving way. Any idea how mush does it cost to replace a new one? Might consider used one if too expensive since only 2.5 years left on car.
Also when the car is park on a level ground, the car tend to be higher on the driver side about 4" gap while the passenger side is only 2" gap. All 4 shocks have been replaced.
Any idea why its like that? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tire pressure loss kept coming up. I've checked and even pump tires but it still appears, very irritating. Anyone to advise what might be wrong or how to reset to make this warning go away? Thank you!

Biily u can try resetting the TPM.

Link : [video=youtube;XHbTA0iAuoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHbTA0iAuoM[/video]

idontnoe;984256 said:
Hi I need some advice. I have a 2005 E66 which gives out a whinning sound, the mechanic say its the rear axle that is giving way. Any idea how mush does it cost to replace a new one? Might consider used one if too expensive since only 2.5 years left on car.
Also when the car is park on a level ground, the car tend to be higher on the driver side about 4" gap while the passenger side is only 2" gap. All 4 shocks have been replaced.

I too have saggy suspension on one side, but the difference is about half an inch. My E65 is lowered, so the saggy side is negative 1 finger height! Went to Fong Kim to diagnose, but they couldn't figured out the problem. Left it alone ever since as there hasn't been any sounds.

As for the whining sound, I doubt it's the axle giving way. I have experience of such whirling sound in my other cars before, and they are either due to improper balancing (I only heard the sound when on higher speed), or worn wheel bearings (could hear it at almost all speed, and the pitch got higher on higher speed).

just purchased a 2007 730li too. After I park the car and turn on the parking brakes, I turn off the engine and then there is a slight jerk. Seems as though the brakes are finally engaging or something like that. Anyone experienced this?

The parking brakes on the 7er are activated via hydraulic pressure when the engine is running. When u turn off the engine then the mechanical system engages, the jerk is the "handover" from hydraulic release to mechanical engagement.

mambo12;1018332 said:
just purchased a 2007 730li too. After I park the car and turn on the parking brakes, I turn off the engine and then there is a slight jerk. Seems as though the brakes are finally engaging or something like that. Anyone experienced this?

If u are at 4" height at the rear then I think your levelling sensor is busted. One way you can diagnose is you swap the sensors and see if the other side becomes 4". I think the 7er is quite a complex car and not all mechanics have the proper knowledge or tools required for the job. What kind of whinning sound? What mileage and have you tried replacing the rear diff oil? If its your bearing you will likely feel like you driving aeroplane, with the sound increasing with speed.

idontnoe;984256 said:

Btw did anyone encounter starter motor failure before? I have a few friends(530i and 630i) who got it at around 120-130k mileage so am considering doing it as a preventive maintenance. I dun want to tow the car haha.

I have squeaky brakes...whenever i brake, lighty especially a sharp eeeeee sound... any advice? Thanks

I changed the starter at abt 120k oso...car cant start, towed back to workshop...starter was quite cheap $300+ i thk...

mambojumbo;1018369 said:
The parking brakes on the 7er are activated via hydraulic pressure when the engine is running. When u turn off the engine then the mechanical system engages, the jerk is the "handover" from hydraulic release to mechanical engagement.

oooic.... tks for the explanation. So it is normal - i mean in terms of the jerking? I just hope it is not a symptom of some parts breaking down. Severe lack of finesse if i must say so....

Originally Posted by idontnoe

Had same issue long time ago.

I am very sure it is rear bearings

mambo12;1018499 said:
oooic.... tks for the explanation. So it is normal - i mean in terms of the jerking? I just hope it is not a symptom of some parts breaking down. Severe lack of finesse if i must say so....

If u don't want the jerk just hold on the brake pedal while u switch off the engine sure finesse haha

I'm back after MIA for more than 4 mths. Sure no one miss me. Fixed my engine at almost $10K (AMK Autopoint), front door brakes changes (thanks Jas for the intro to BM Auto). Now my E66 is much better than first bought in Jan 2013. Not forgetting changed my car to Pearl Yellow, dechrome, some pony stickers and gloss black roof. Soon to spray rims pearl black and some more pony stickers to convert it to M7 (if there is one in the first place) wannabe. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lokhung247net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back