Advice Need on 3rd Party Claims in Chain Collision

Cars4fun

Hi,

Need some advice from car insurance gurus here.

I was involved in a 3 car collision afew months back, the car I was driving (wife's car) being in the 2nd car in the middle.
It happened such that I stopped in time, but the last car behind hit me, and caused me to hit the 1st car in front.
This should be easily verified by the 1st car driver as he only heard 1 bang.
So, I was not too happy when my insurance company accepted liability on my behalf to pay the full damages for the 1st car, when I thought they should fight to attribute the cause of my car hitting the 1st to the 3rd car instead.
When I wrote in, the claim service team replied and said they accepted liability based on the "Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA)" as explained in the extracted email below from them.
I am not too happy as even though my NCD was protected, I was told they will load my premium when I next renew the insurance. A bit unfair when the accident was due to the last car.

I would like to seek your kind advice here if indeed, it is industrial practice and I just have to suck thumb??

Thanks in advance.

"Under the industry Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) which all motor insurers in Singapore have agreed (and regulated by the General Insurance Association; GIA), your claim falls under the scenario of chain collision involving three or more vehicles.

For chain collision accident, all Singapore Motor Insurers have agreed that for any third party property claim only, the vehicle just right behind the claimant settle his/her claim at 100% liability i.e. 5th vehicle to settle 4th vehicle, 4th vehicle to settle 3rd vehicle and so on, so as to avoid many litigation suits and to save on our Singapore high litigation costs.

We have therefore settled the property damage claim from SXXXXX on 100% basis under this industry agreement, without affecting your NCD"

Re: Advice Need on 3rd Party Claims in Chain Collision

Its a norm .... not much you can do unless you want to engage lawyer to fight the case (which may end up lose-lose situation by wasting more money). That's how insurance company works here (because they want to close the case fast and moved on) .. and police won't come in cause there are no injuries involved. You can call yourself lucky for not being the last car involved in this accident.
Anyway don't think your premium will go up much cause your insurance are claiming from the last car.

Same situation as TS, I was the middle car. Even got a written statement from the front car that I made complete stop without contact and pushed forward by the car behind.

Front car claim me, 100% liability. I claim everything from last car. NCD not affected, slight rise the following year insurance renewal

If First car claimed TS ins $10 , TS claimed 3rd car his damages plus $10. TS NCD not affected. So what's the issue here?

1st car claim 2nd car -> $1000 for its repair
2nd car claim 3rd car -> $1000 for its repair (not $2K = $1K + $1K)

if that is the case 3rd car claim 4th car for car 1 + car 2 + car 3 (own) ... might as well all claim 4th car?
the purpose of the BOLA arrangement is front claim back and stop there. no transfer of repair cost from front.

besides, you don't even know how much the front claim you until the case is settled which is months later. insurance-settle-with-insurance.

and if front and you are same insurance company, they will proceed to settle chop chop and won't even fight for you.
what to fight, same insurance company what?

naan1974;1062678 said:
If First car claimed TS ins $10 , TS claimed 3rd car his damages plus $10. TS NCD not affected. So what's the issue here?

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;1062680 said:
1st car claim 2nd car -> $1000 foit's car repair
2nd car claim 3rd car -> $1000 for its repair (not $2K = $1K + $1K)

if that is the case 3rd car claim 4th car for car 1 + car 2 + car 3 (own) ... might as well all claim 4th car?
the purpose of the BOLA arrangement is front claim back and stop there. no transfer of repair cost from front.

Wow.... dun sounds very fair leh especially in TS case.
Loading also affected... really knn man. but i guess if it's
1 rule for all then it averages out.

that's how it works. imagine 4-5 cars collision, which is common on expressway lane 1 ...
the old rule, all cars try to claim behind eventually to the last car ... that's ten-of-thousands of repair cost

although it's a chain collision, the fault is not 100% on the last car because all 4-5 cars are tailgating (aka did not keep a distance). hence, each car got liability.

that's BOLA explanation and why the old rules were changed
a. to speed up claim process ... there is very little to no room to argue/fight
b. to distribute the liability

naan1974;1062681 said:
Wow.... dun sounds very fair leh especially in TS case.
Loading also affected... really knn man. but i guess if it's
1 rule for all then it averages out.

Just want to seek more feedback and answers to check if the claim service team is taking me for a ride, as I have heard conflicting views on this.
Strange thing is that when I reported the case at Ethoz, the one-stop accident repair centre appointed by insurance co, I was told by the customer service that I have a case to claim the damages to the 1st car from the 3rd car, and I shd ensure the ins co does so. And some colleagues at work also second that.
So was confused when they throw the bola at me!

Do you have a in-car camera? I had 2 accidents within a time frame of 3 months last year.
In Dec 2012 I was involved in the ECP 10 car collision and I am the 6th car. Like you, I stopped in time but the car behind me pushed me forward. I renewed my insurance on 11th Dec therefore have to wait until last year to renew insurance. I also submitted the video to my lawyer and insurance company.
In March 2013, I had another accident. Again it was a chain accident. I stopped on a flyover on PIE and the car behind me bang into me and push me forward. I am the third car this time. Again I pass the video to my lawyer and insurance company.

For both accidents, my lawyers mentioned that the cases are closed and there is zero liabilities on my end.

Then in Dec 2013, my insurance company sent me a quote 3 times the rate I pay in Dec 2012. I called them up but they mentioned quote is done by their underwriting department. I got my insurance agent to call up my lawyers ..........
The same insurance company gave me a quote at the same price as in Dec 2012 on the same terms.
Imagine that I do not have a in-car camera as evidence and I did not get my insurance agent to speak to my lawyers....

Bottom line........ I not carrot head

in-car camera is your best and last line of defense :thumbsup:

I don't have video, also dun have lawyer to fight for me, 3times the premium ?? I think I jialat liao ......

I supposed the diff here is to get a lawyer to kick the bola back to them, but be prepared to foot the lawyer's bill, but I think most of us will just suck thumb, no?

Cars4fun;1062728 said:
I don't have video, also dun have lawyer to fight for me, 3times the premium ?? I think I jialat liao ......

I supposed the diff here is to get a lawyer to kick the bola back to them, but be prepared to foot the lawyer's bill, but I think most of us will just suck thumb, no?

You can use the lawyer assign by your workshop. But no video a little hard.
Anyway there is nothing you can do now. You will only know when the case is closed. Your workshop lawyer will inform you. Usually chain collision takes between 6 months to 1 year to close.

Btw in my first accident, there were 2 persons injured therefore police were involved. When the case was closed, I received letter from TP that some of the drivers were charged.

Do u mean the surveyor appointed by the insurance company, coz there is no workshop lawyer, just this surveyor who is supposed investigate the case for liability.
He also threw me the bola when I called him up, but in layman terms saying mine is a standard chain collision case where 1st car will claim me and I will claim the 3rd ... No need to talk so much....
I just had the feeling he just wanted to wrap up the case and collect his fees.....that's why I email the ins co. But end up all sing the same bola song.
I dun think I will use back this ins co from now on.

Cars4fun;1062734 said:
Do u mean the surveyor appointed by the insurance company, coz there is no workshop lawyer, just this surveyor who is supposed investigate the case for liability.
He also threw me the bola when I called him up, but in layman terms saying mine is a standard chain collision case where 1st car will claim me and I will claim the 3rd ... No need to talk so much....
I just had the feeling he just wanted to wrap up the case and collect his fees.....that's why I email the ins co. But end up all sing the same bola song.
I dun think I will use back this ins co from now on.

Whichever ins co you gonna change is going to be the same. They all throw the same bola one ....
In-car camera is a must have here plus buy the protection for the 50% NCD for your insurance. Crossed your finger you don't get into an accident with Malaysia veh ... you may not claim anything even its the other party's fault .... Standard procedure from Ins company here: "pls claim your own insurance while investigating the case" ... end up no news or bola throw here and there until don't know go where ...

...I am still wondering why we are paying so high premiums for next to nothing....

MW;1062771 said:
...I am still wondering why we are paying so high premiums for next to nothing....
Its because insurance company always kenna claim untill siao .... those surveyor all for show one, case will be closed fast as long as its within the market rate. Those driver not at fault (e.g. Got bang from behind, taxi, etc.) will claim untill moon drop from sky, neck pain, cannot sleep, lost of income, etc .... Medical bill suddenly so high, with certification from some "moon dog" clinic ...
Insurance company inorder to get back money, the only way is high premium ....

Cars4fun;1062728 said:

Once you have a claim, it's more feasible to change ins co . After my 1 and only claim, tho my 50% NCD is protected from the NCD protector option the premium shot up by 5 times my previous premium !!!!!!! no choice have to source for another ins co which quoted less than twice the previous premium. Of course my NCD subsequently drop to 20%... but still simple math isn't it

Cars4fun;1062628 said:
Hi,

Need some advice from car insurance gurus here.

I was involved in a 3 car collision afew months back, the car I was driving (wife's car) being in the 2nd car in the middle.
It happened such that I stopped in time, but the last car behind hit me, and caused me to hit the 1st car in front.
This should be easily verified by the 1st car driver as he only heard 1 bang.
So, I was not too happy when my insurance company accepted liability on my behalf to pay the full damages for the 1st car, when I thought they should fight to attribute the cause of my car hitting the 1st to the 3rd car instead.
When I wrote in, the claim service team replied and said they accepted liability based on the "Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA)" as explained in the extracted email below from them.
I am not too happy as even though my NCD was protected, I was told they will load my premium when I next renew the insurance. A bit unfair when the accident was due to the last car.

I would like to seek your kind advice here if indeed, it is industrial practice and I just have to suck thumb??

Thanks in advance.

"Under the industry Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) which all motor insurers in Singapore have agreed (and regulated by the General Insurance Association; GIA), your claim falls under the scenario of chain collision involving three or more vehicles.

For chain collision accident, all Singapore Motor Insurers have agreed that for any third party property claim only, the vehicle just right behind the claimant settle his/her claim at 100% liability i.e. 5th vehicle to settle 4th vehicle, 4th vehicle to settle 3rd vehicle and so on, so as to avoid many litigation suits and to save on our Singapore high litigation costs.

We have therefore settled the property damage claim from SXXXXX on 100% basis under this industry agreement, without affecting your NCD"

I was involved in something similar not too long ago. I was the third car in a chain collision involving 5 cars, and the reason why I hit the car in front is because of the huge impact from the last 2 cars when they hit me (because of this the damage on my front is minimal, just a dented car plate that's all). So anyway, my insurance company claimed the guy behind and I believe the guy in front claimed for a new rear bumper from my insurance company. While waiting for the insurance companies to process the claims, I called up both my insurance company and the driver of the car in front to explain that I will not accept any liability on my part.

Surprisingly...my NCD was left intact at 50% upon renewal (and no NCD protector btw). No lawyers nor video evidence required (didn't have have in-car cam back then). Maybe I was just lucky ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88how

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back