advice on 2nd hand E65

Re: advice on 2nd hand E65

If you are guys need any advice on e65/e66 just pm me, I have had 3 of these in the last 7yrs. still driving one. 740Li. will help to my level best. cheers

Thomas7;949700 said:
finally collected my E66. looks like many nitty griddy things to fix. gps map is outdated and how come cannot search using PC? :angry: manual gear (on the steering wheel thingy) seems to be faulty. :furious: Soft opening is malfunction for one of the tray. read cups holder loose. need to source for a bluetooth speaker phone... PLEASE PLEASE HELP is you have solution for any of the above. TQ and kamsiah many many!

So far mine still ok except the auto start button "Konk up".

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldebaran;950068 said:
Dear All,

Just to answer a few queries. E65 is 730Li
what is the E66?

I got a friend looking to purchase a used 05 or 06 730Li.
Anything major to look out for?
As compared to E60, I suppose the E65 is more well built?

E65 - 730i
E66 - 730Li (long wheel base)

RedDevils;950144 said:
E65 - 730i
E66 - 730Li (long wheel base)

Thanks!

I'm not worried about nitty gritty stuff on the outside but stuff like gasket leaks, gearbox these kinda major issues.
The rest I guess is normal wear and tear right?

Actually gasket leaks not expensive to repair, just the valvecover gasket(incl valvetronic,etc) and oil sump gasket. Nothing much else leaks. At least for N52 3.0 engine. I saw on a website in US, the electronic solenoids cost something like 6-700usd. Can do this instead of changing valvebody. I find mechanical stuff are cheap on E65/66. Electronics are expensive, like the stupid SZL costs 1.1k.

Hi Irvin,
I just collected my E66 last Friday. The car has problems as you mentioned. It gave a clunk when going up a hump (bushing problem?) and the doors close (halfway) on their own when left alone (door brakes problem?). Any chance you can PM me where I can have them fixed and what will be the estimate damage?

Irvin;893849 said:
Heres what i can give from my experience.

After you find one that looks good (interior/exterior), look out for the following when doing a test drive:

-Steering should be quite stable (i test drove a few when hunting, at least 2 had some looseness and disconnected feel)
-When driving over humps, the suspension should be firm but well "cushion-ed". (slowly of course) I drove a few that gave a clunk when going up a hump; like the one i eventually settled with, the bushings in the support arms were worn and needed replacing.
-Dont ignore the error codes if theres any, some may be a simple fix, but others need a whole lot of $$ and time back at PML (and PML only) to fix.
-Open the doors and leave them open. They should feel firm when you pull or push them. If they close on their own when left open, you'll need to replace the door brakes. Its a frequent issue so you'll have to live with it.
-Mine had a serious oil leak that killed the alternator and battery. Not sure if the 730s have the same issue though. (Mines a 750) Still, its worth a look around the engine bay just to make sure.

You're right about maintenance, it could cost a little more too. But its not so severe that you'll need frequent overhauls or leaving it at the workshop for days. Its a reliable car :)

Im sure you'll enjoy it as much as i do too! HTH! :D

Aldebaran;950470 said:
what is the SZL?!

Steering angle sensor, just behind the steering wheel. Its a typical problem. Usually shows itself as Drive control failure with the yellow DTC logo light up on the dash + turn signals don't cancel + auto-hold brake failure when you try to engage it.

Does anyone have the problem where sometimes turn left or right got sound but sometimes no sound? ITS like 'eeee' sound and happens more on rainy days.. if its steering rack then should be perpetual sound right? Mine is e65 730. Sorry to hijack,i cannot start a new post.

diablo_728;950131 said:
If you are guys need any advice on e65/e66 just pm me, I have had 3 of these in the last 7yrs. still driving one. 740Li. will help to my level best. cheers

need advise from you urgent. can't pm you as your mail box is full. warning mesage "engine oil pressure low" and need to know where to find an inexpensive and reliable workshop. If anyone can help. Pls PM me. Thanks many many

I believe u want to solve the oil leak issue?

Don't think there are any inexpensive workshops for the 7 series, but u can try R2D (site sponsor). Else, for cheaper rates, u may wanna consider going into Johor.

Thomas7;954766 said:
need advise from you urgent. can't pm you as your mail box is full. warning mesage "engine oil pressure low" and need to know where to find an inexpensive and reliable workshop. If anyone can help. Pls PM me. Thanks many many

Oil pressure low is not a gd sign, can be a few things:

1) Faulty oil pressure sensor - Best case scenario
2) Oil pump going out - unlikely as N52 oil pump is variable pressure type
3) Oil sludge causing blockage in engine - Worst case scenario

Open the oil cap and use a torchlight to look inside the valvetrain to see if you can find signs of brown goey sludge.

Aldebaran;957217 said:
my friend has the steering angle sensor error. Can still drive right?!

Can... just note that when the sign comes on, you only have ABS left, no traction control or ESP. Just turn off engine and restart then back to norm. Abit irritating but i guess can live with it haha

mambojumbo;957266 said:
Oil pressure low is not a gd sign, can be a few things:

1) Faulty oil pressure sensor - Best case scenario
2) Oil pump going out - unlikely as N52 oil pump is variable pressure type
3) Oil sludge causing blockage in engine - Worst case scenario

Open the oil cap and use a torchlight to look inside the valvetrain to see if you can find signs of brown goey sludge.

One of the workshop shine a torch light in and we see oil sludge. Today sent in my car to workshop (not the same one). Hopefully just need a good engine flush. Pray Pray hard!

But will still need to change door brakes and right rear absorber. Anyone got good lobang for good second hand absorber (if recommended)?

Or u can call ES to check the part price, I think should be part 51217202124 if u only have soft close and no comfort access ie keyless.

It's hard to find a big car such as this with this depreciation so I will say worth it but you need to test drive and make sure you do not feel jerks or anything funny. Like most said, maintenance may be high for a car above 5 years old, esp BMW.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae888nnet1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back