aFe Elite Intake + Cobb AccessPort Performance Programmer + KW Stage 3 Coilover

Zee92

Re: aFe Elite Intake + Cobb AccessPort Performance Programmer + KW Stage 3 Coilover

Go for the GruppeM and juicebox (JB4) instead.

KW3 is good, but there are many other alternatives available.

what are your objectives?

Re: aFe Elite Intake + Cobb AccessPort Performance Programmer + KW Stage 3 Coilover

Why JB4 over Cobb ? Cobb truely plug and play.

Normally JB4 is paired with BMS DCIs being it's from the same co.....and inexpensive compareed to Gruppe M.

jinooi;911393 said:
Go for the GruppeM and juicebox (JB4) instead.

KW3 is good, but there are many other alternatives available.

what are your objectives?

JB4 has more parameters you can tune. And you won't have to upgrade to stage 2/3 later on. Do some research and you'll find out that if the tuner knows what he's doing, he would be able to tune the N54 to produce >400bhp and corresponding torque. But provided he truly knows what he's doing...

it can also be plug and play too, cos there are already preset maps to choose from.

normally paired with BMS DCI? Where? In more temperate climates probably. Otherwise the heat soak from the engine will negate any gains - our engines are already running very hot.
CAI doesn't really work here. You'd be better off with a sealed airbox.

as for the GruppeM, you'll have to hear what it does to the engine sound...

also take a closer look at the BMS DCI. Do you notice that one of the intake snorkels taper off until it's very narrow just before it joins the airbox? Don't you think it's restricting airflow? Would probably be better off using the stock airbox..

For turbo engines - the hot air into the intake would be heated some more anyway. The snorkel - I'll have to have a closer look........

jinooi;911510 said:
JB4 has more parameters you can tune. And you won't have to upgrade to stage 2/3 later on. Do some research and you'll find out that if the tuner knows what he's doing, he would be able to tune the N54 to produce >400bhp and corresponding torque. But provided he truly knows what he's doing...

it can also be plug and play too, cos there are already preset maps to choose from.

normally paired with BMS DCI? Where? In more temperate climates probably. Otherwise the heat soak from the engine will negate any gains - our engines are already running very hot.
CAI doesn't really work here. You'd be better off with a sealed airbox.

as for the GruppeM, you'll have to hear what it does to the engine sound...

also take a closer look at the BMS DCI. Do you notice that one of the intake snorkels taper off until it's very narrow just before it joins the airbox? Don't you think it's restricting airflow? Would probably be better off using the stock airbox..

The internal combustion engine relies on expansion of air to provide power. The 'explosion' when air is mixed with fuel and ignited produces a violent expansion of gases which force the pistons to move, which in turn move the crankshaft, etc. etc...

cool air is denser and expands more than hot air, providing more power. So ideally, to get more power, the cooler the air going into the air intake, the better.

in the case of turbo-charged engines, the air gets compressed further before combustion takes place. When air gets compressed, heat is produced. But when hot air gets compressed, the temp increases even more. That's why FI engines have intercoolers to cool the air down before channeling it to the intake plenums.

so ask yourself, would you need any additional heat soak from an 'open CAI', or would you rather channel air directly from behind the kidney grill to a closed airbox?

Just a thought - If the air temperature just before it heads into the combustion chamber is the same between a DCI or closed airbox then it doesn't matter DCI took in hotter air initially. But DCIs would get a higher flow rate assuming JB4 is there to increase boost.

The heat soak situation holds true only during a stop of a certain duration. Once the car moves off - out goes the hot air.......

jinooi;911540 said:
The internal combustion engine relies on expansion of air to provide power. The 'explosion' when air is mixed with fuel and ignited produces a violent expansion of gases which force the pistons to move, which in turn move the crankshaft, etc. etc...

cool air is denser and expands more than hot air, providing more power. So ideally, to get more power, the cooler the air going into the air intake, the better.

in the case of turbo-charged engines, the air gets compressed further before combustion takes place. When air gets compressed, heat is produced. But when hot air gets compressed, the temp increases even more. That's why FI engines have intercoolers to cool the air down before channeling it to the intake plenums.

so ask yourself, would you need any additional heat soak from an 'open CAI', or would you rather channel air directly from behind the kidney grill to a closed airbox?

Red_Bean_Bun;911557 said:
Just a thought - If the air temperature just before it heads into the combustion chamber is the same between a DCI or closed airbox then it doesn't matter DCI took in hotter air initially. But DCIs would get a higher flow rate assuming JB4 is there to increase boost.

The heat soak situation holds true only during a stop of a certain duration. Once the car moves off - out goes the hot air.......

not true - air temp before heading engine compartment (i.e. under the bonnet) is the same. but since CAI is 'open' and airbox is 'closed', air intake temp taken from the (intake plenum) for CAI is higher - my closed airbox reads an average of 10degs above ambient.

your second point - hot air going out (of the engine compartment) will only happen if there's an outlet where a larger volume of air exchange happens. but since the engine compartment is 1) very cluttered 2) has a limited outlet - there's an undertray and firewall/bulkhead , there's very little exchange of hot and cold air and really nowhere for the hot air to go once it's in.

go compare running air intake temps for both airbox and CAI and you'll see what i mean.

that's why drag cars often remove the body panels in front during races.

One more thing about the BMS DCI...

take a look at the numerous videos on YouTube. Notice how close the dual cones are to the engine block? The engine block will act as a giant heating element and the cones will suck in all the hot air.

And there's no effective way to install a heat shield here - the best heat shield is still a sealed air box.

JB5+BMS DCI=champion!
Or anyone got grupper M want to try out?

Not sure if the TS is still interested in Cobb...

I'm on Cobb tuning on my E93 335i. Yes, as a ecu reflash it cannot "hijack" all the controls that JB4 can. However, comparing with my friend's Jb4 modded car, the dynos are similar.... (But I can't control my canflap or the wastegate - overall not a big deal)

However, if you are going for meth injection, there is a major difference - jb4 can control meth injection, whereas Cobb cannot.

But Cobb provides a user friendly interface to do datalogging, view live data, viewing error codes... I helped a friend "decode" his error code on his jb4 car, it took 2 persons multiple times before we could catch the "jumping" needle and decipher the error code (I think u jb4 guys know what I'm talking about). On Cobb, just read the error code with a short description on the handset or view the live data on the handset. There's also a nifty function to track your 0-100kmh and 1/4 mile timing.

Hope this help and oh, mine is only the Cobb Accessport not the programmable version.

And if you are worried about warranty, the Cobb is a breeze to deinstall before sending your car to the workshop. No wires to disconnect.

Another issue my friend had with his jb4 car was trying to get his bmw workshop to diagnose problems, switching off the jb4 so that the bmw scanner can read the car ecu also cleared all his codes... not sure if there is any other way to go around that.... Cobb tune can be running while the standard BMW scanner is connected to the OBD port.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitkulkarni978
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back