Alpine BMW HIFI upgrade kit

Re: Alpine BMW HIFI upgrade kit

Anyone knows where the head unit can play MP3? If not, any solution? I don't wish to buy the Ipod connector.

Thanks

You can save the mp3 songs in a thumbdrive and plug it into the usb slot.

buckrogers;445148 said:
So any feedback on the alpine?

Ok, just got my 135i done up with the Alpine HiFi upgrade today at Alexandra. I ordered the system on the 6th June, so not too bad i would say. The installation took a day. I had to get the SA to make it a one day affair as i hate to leave it overnight for such a simple job. They claimed that the normal quoted installation is 1.5 days as they need to upgrade the software due to the HiFi upgrade. Makes me wonder why would the ECU need a software upgrade for a HiFi job???

Ok, here's what i think of the HiFi upgrade. Coming from the stock 135i crappy ass system, it's really not a challenge to better it. The Alpine system is definitely superior and in a very significant way. The 2 Mids by the door now emits proper music as opposed to groan inducing noise that they used to. Turning up the volume now actually improves the whole listening experience as opposed to more of the same shit in the past. Bass is of course significantly stronger. I listen to radio mostly, but even then, the difference is significant. The louder u crank up the dial, the better it gets.

I must admit that i am no audiophile and not hard to satisfy in this dept. In my opinion, this upgrade is a no brainer. So long as the cost is not a prohibitive factor, there's nothing to wonder about. While you might get some savings outside, i feel the peace of mind of doing it thru agent far outweighs any savings u may get esp since the upgrade isn't pricey (for once). I didn't know the Alpine system is available as an upgrade. Had i known it earlier, i would have taken it up POJ or not.

Appreciate the review on the alpine upgrade. I am an audiophile and I can share my previous experience - the best bang for the buck comes from such upgrades...subsequently, one would have to spend a significant amount of $$ to get marginal improvements. I have since stop playing hifi but the stock sound system in our current ride is simply crap. Think this may well be the best value upgrade to a better music system.

jseah_70;445315 said:
Thanks for the brief review, I think I'll booked mine tomorrow :)

Booked a slot this morning, please note pormotion ends this weekend (21st June). My upgrade needs to be done next week, all slots are filled. 1 day affair, only afraid it will affect my mObridge bluetooth/iPod system but I'm taking this risk after I sat on the mocked-up car and listen to the sound.

Also booked the 6-pot front disc & caliper upgrade...hehe...Michael is right...its poisonous :p

jseah_70;445363 said:
Booked a slot this morning, please note pormotion ends this weekend (21st June). My upgrade needs to be done next week, all slots are filled. 1 day affair, only afraid it will affect my mObridge bluetooth/iPod system but I'm taking this risk after I sat on the mocked-up car and listen to the sound.

Also booked the 6-pot front disc & caliper upgrade...hehe...Michael is right...its poisonous :p

Lucky for u, i can't upgrade the front disc alone. PML doesn't do disc only. My brakes are already those 6-pot calipers minus the yellow colour. Once u get started on them performance parts, it becomes harder to resist :p I will be going in for suspension, diffuser, 313 wheels, and side-skirts once all the parts arrive. I can't wait man!!! Maybe i should just order the damn disc from PML and install it outside...

clar;445556 said:
Lucky for u, i can't upgrade the front disc alone. PML doesn't do disc only. My brakes are already those 6-pot calipers minus the yellow colour. Once u get started on them performance parts, it becomes harder to resist :p I will be going in for suspension, diffuser, 313 wheels, and side-skirts once all the parts arrive. I can't wait man!!! Maybe i should just order the damn disc from PML and install it outside...

Haha! Well just to skewed your decision to picking up the phone to order those Disc (or rotors) as they call it. Here's the pic :p (Sorry for the OT).

image_70dc41b5-ba2f-4e8d-9004-72398357cb16.arox

BMW-Performance-Brake-Kit-E46-M3-CSL-CS-MZ4.jpg

jseah_70;445606 said:
Haha! Well just to skewed your decision to picking up the phone to order those Disc (or rotors) as they call it. Here's the pic :p (Sorry for the OT).

No thanks to you man :p The next thing i'm gonna ask them if they could paint my calipers yellow...keke

I seem to recall reading about it in US 1 series forum that BMW dealers actually install the rotors without the calipers...hmm..more research required.

just came back from PML alexandra. alpine upgrade kit is out of stock globally. they are not taking in orders anymore.

jeronlee;445918 said:
just came back from PML alexandra. alpine upgrade kit is out of stock globally. they are not taking in orders anymore.

I'm late missed the boat :(

Was planning to make a trip in the afternoon to see the demo and book it. Thx for update. Saved me the trip.

think i booked the last set yesterday... in any case, i was told that if i do the installation at kampong arang, i would be the first to have it done there. Installation on tuesday - wish me luck

This is weird... i just spoken to PML Alexandra part department, they said there are still stock for Apline Hi Fi upgrade for 320i.

Btw it is very difficult to get hold of the parts department and PML customer service team dont know what is going on...

Going down now...

Cheers!

Marc

Just paid for the Alpine Hi Fi set, the demo car sounded very good with tight base and vocal quality better than stock speakers...

Was told by the PML Alexandra part department stock will take 2 weeks to arrive and can only schedule appointment thereafter...

the position of the tweeter is good... good height and well hidden in the side door plastic holder. The Amp is concealed below the boot so you dont even see it.

Fatcheeks...

Marcus45;446006 said:
Just paid for the Alpine Hi Fi set, the demo car sounded very good with tight base and vocal quality better than stock speakers...

Was told by the PML Alexandra part department stock will take 2 weeks to arrive and can only schedule appointment thereafter...

the position of the tweeter is good... good height and well hidden in the side door plastic holder. The Amp is concealed below the boot so you dont even see it.

Fatcheeks...

cool, i'll drop by Alexandra tomorrow ...

Bro there, how long it takes to complete the installation? if we go by the appointment time slot....

BMWM3;446077 said:
Bro there, how long it takes to complete the installation? if we go by the appointment time slot....

The normal answer they give is 1.5 days so you have to talk to your SA to help expedite it to a day. Ideally, talk to the SA beforehand.

Marcus45;446006 said:

Fatcheeks...

thanks for the update. went down again today and managed to book the alpine set at the parts dept counter.

I just installed my alpine kit yesterday. First impressions....

Clarity has improved - voices are fleshed out and not melded to bass - one can hear clean delineation of highs and mids(vocals)

Bass sounds wooly. Based on my previous setting where my bass was click to +2, I now need to adjust it to -2 to contain excessive bass energy. I think the new amp and 4' side door speakers pump out more bass and in an enclosed environement without proper sound treatment, the bass can be hard to control.

The addition of the tweeter gives an impression of a sound stage but without proper tuning, one cannot optimise this.

Overall, the upgrade kit has met my expectations. If you are an audiophile, please rein in your expectations. This is a class D amp and not a tube or pre power setup and for just slightly over 1k spent, it is indeed well worth the investment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubet77fashion
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back