ATF change

Re: ATF change

how does gear slippage feel like???

recently experiencing the infamous jerking before stopping. changing ATF later in the afternoon. Let's seeee

UPDATES: After ATF change, WORSE than before.

JIALUCK!

After reading so much abt ATF thingy, thought maybe it is time for me to change mine.

My ride is a E60 Dec 05 Push Start. Mileage now is 127k. Experiencing a very slight jerk just before stopping. But this is not often and started only 3 wks back.

So.......backside itchy.....went ATF change. This afternoon, went Sin Min. The drained oil looks quite new. (But i brought 2nd hand, so no idea ever change boh). Out came the old pan gasket and In went the new. Thought swee sweee liao.

Then i was told the jerk is still there abit la. But maybe can try a Software upgrade. So...do lor.

I drove home after that. Along the way, can feel the gear change is a bit weird. Dun know how to explain but certainly worse than before. That i am very sure.

Before stopping, the jerking is more often and more forceful. Sometime, when total stop already, after about 3-5 seconds, the car will down shift from 2nd -1st gear quite violently.

Sigzzzzzz....tomorrow got to going back and see if they know how to rectify this.

Super SIAN!!!!!! :helpp!::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

it seems like the best is try re-programming first before going down the road of ATF flush

wt_know;624208 said:
it seems like the best is try re-programming first before going down the road of ATF flush

So how hur? for my case? will a re-programming helps?

so far have not heard negative feedback or unwanted effect of re-programming.
some feedback it solved the problem quite good like 90% jerking is gone
some feedback it solves abit only .... it's better but still can feel the jerking but lesser
and some feedback after awhile the jerk return perhaps for this case the re-programming did not help and could be due to other issue ie: need to change the solenoid or ATF flush

i guess you search the post and read more and make your own decision or talk to the workshop

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;624213 said:
so far have not heard negative feedback or unwanted effect of re-programming.
some feedback it solved the problem quite good like 90% jerking is gone
some feedback it solves abit only .... it's better but still can feel the jerking but lesser
and some feedback after awhile the jerk return perhaps for this case the re-programming did not help and could be due to other issue ie: need to change the solenoid or ATF flush

i guess you search the post and read more and make your own decision or talk to the workshop

Thanks bro! super sian man!:biggun::biggun::biggun:

had the same problem it jerk while stopping due to gear slip while changing gear, was told that the valve body needs to be fix...:thinking::thinking: need some advise from brothers out there...
option A : to re-furbished likely cost less then 2k or option B : change entire valve body cost likely 4.2k...HELP HELP:shakebon:

my problem or issue will be more like: the jerking and overall gearbox is WORSE then before ATF change.

So...if this is the case, i should not have change it in the first place!!!!!:yikess::yikess::yikess::yikess:

tiger1;624316 said:
my problem or issue will be more like: the jerking and overall gearbox is WORSE then before ATF change.

So...if this is the case, i should not have change it in the first place!!!!!:yikess::yikess::yikess::yikess:

OK... the car is playing trick now.

I was about to drive back to the workshop to rectify the issue.

guess what. it appears to be much much better today! although there is still a late downshift from 2nd to 1st f=gear after total stop, the "violenceness" has reduced by 80%.

so, LL, drove back. never went back not wanting to "complicate" the issue.

will just monitor the situation over the next few days.

maybe oilshock???oil too clean and new????

tiger1;624316 said:

Ya Lor. Same with me. Gear change not so smooth after replace ATF. But intially was ok. Only after a few weeks then not so smooth.

Actually there are 2 type of jerk issues.

Jerk during/before car stop. Can be easily fix with software reprogramming.

Jerk during gear change. This one sometime very difficult to diagnose. Especially if the diagnostic test does not pick up any hardware or mechanical failures.

Confirm the gearbox is fine. Tested by experiences mechanics. No issues.

I think I will go back to Jap cars. Cannot get use to not so smooth gear change for BM.

Cheers.

but i love the shape and styling of the E60

Japan car...hmmm. maybe honda accord? there is a model which looks like E60. machiam copy cat.

after reading so much about ATF oil change i also confuse whether to change or not...mine ride is a e60 at 70k milege. i know already, change to new oil but ask the workshop to keep my old one, so in case new one can't work on my car, pump back the old one????

beemer322;629207 said:
after reading so much about ATF oil change i also confuse whether to change or not...mine ride is a e60 at 70k milege. i know already, change to new oil but ask the workshop to keep my old one, so in case new one can't work on my car, pump back the old one????

Hi Beemer,

Logically the new oil should work..........................and it is not easy doing ATF.......

* just do it
cheers

beemer322;629207 said:

Maybe you should change in stages. Just drain and fill now. 60k later drop the pan and change the filter. Not so shocking.

Ya. One workshop suggest to change ATF without changing the oil pan at 50K.

Then another workshop say must change ATF and oil pan. if change ATF without changing oil pan. Same like changing engine oil without replacing oil filter. waste time and effort.

So you decide lor.

Cheer.

Kiske;621618 said:
i also just changed the ATF & Auto Transmission filter on my e60 523i. car feels much smoother.. pm me if u wanna know the name of the workshop i went to, any case, i spent $372 for the filter and the 7L of ATF, but total cost definitely below $500 for everything inclusive of parts and labour, dun reli know exact as i also did engine oil, spark plug, and aircon filter change so cant determine how much labour was charged at

Bro can PM me the workshop? you brought ur own filter and ATF?

i changed my ATF oil and filter every 60.000 km, with ZF oil in my ZF 5hp18..*E36 M52B25..

i hope this can extand the life of..

Kiske;621618 said:
i also just changed the ATF & Auto Transmission filter on my e60 523i. car feels much smoother.. pm me if u wanna know the name of the workshop i went to, any case, i spent $372 for the filter and the 7L of ATF, but total cost definitely below $500 for everything inclusive of parts and labour, dun reli know exact as i also did engine oil, spark plug, and aircon filter change so cant determine how much labour was charged at

Hi Dude,

Can msg me the workshop you went to? I thinking to change ATF. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drbenoitbenoit
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back