Autob*hn -- Obnoxious, condescending and dishonest? You be the judge

DriveAllDay

I don’t normally rant or criticise about a dealers. However, Autob^hn pissed me off so much that I thought I would share it with fellow forum members. Admin, please delete this post if you deem it inappropriate.

I came across a 1.5 yr old red Boxster S at Autob^hn. 8K mileage, looked totally stock except for Tiptronic and windbreaker.

Price quote: SGD268,888.

I remarked politely that a new Boxster S from Stuggart would cost around the region of SGD280K, and thats when the salesperson got defensive, rude, condescending, and outright dishonest.

First the sniggers and sneers, then the remarks:
“I am in this trade, you don’t know what you are talking about”
"You can't get a similar car this cheap anywhere"
“A brand new Boxster S costs SGD380K, you are saving SGD120K”

When I told him again politely that SGD380K is in Carrera stock region already, he again sniggered & sneered, and told me I don’t know what I am talking about.

I didn’t want to make a scene, but saw no sense carrying on the conversation. So I told him that I’m sure he knows better, thanked him, and walked out.

I have no problem with dealers trying to make as much as profit as they can. I however have big issues when they:
- Treat you like an idiot
- Are condescending
- Lie and intimidate. Porsche prices are published online -- so there’s no ambiguity

Part of me wanted to set him straight. Another part of me just said, walk away. Well, one thing’s for sure, I won’t be getting any cars from Autob^hn.

Thoughts?

Re: Autobahn -- Obnoxious, condescending and dishonest? You be the judge

their cars aint cheap but sometimes no choice, especially when they happen to have rare models

there are salesmen and there are salesmen...he looks like one who is trying to pass. it is always good to know some basics before making any purchase

soneone i know just bought a boxster S brand new for 295k.

I have never heard from anyone who says good thing bout the above dealer..never!

TripleM;251440 said:
I have never heard from anyone who says good thing bout the above dealer..never!

that's some good point, will take note.

but where did they get all the super cars? everytime i drive past....my salivas droooll

BOXSTER for 380K....tell him to go fist himself.

Good that you have done adequate research and have a knowledge of the car and secondary market prices. In dealing with these dealers, information is key. It's their ricebowl, but it is also in your interests to obtain a "fair" value for your purchase. Just walk away from the dealership. Arrogant salespeople like that will never bow for truth. They will simply divert your attention to the other aspects of the car.

Information is key. They can screw one or two customers, but bad reputation means their longer term business might not be viable.

Thanks for highlighting.

Yeah...and the prices they quote is never consistent..each time I ask them on the prices of the same car, it gets higher...even though they have been holding on to it longer and longer...

last I heard, a lot of their cars are there on consignment (people put it there and hope for sale), they have no investment risk on those cars, so if they manage to get a piegon, great.

But one of my friends have purchased a CLK from them before, fair price, good condition, consignment goods.

Yes, I also heard that many of the cars in their forecourt are put there on consignment.

So its more like the owners asking for the sky?

nope. Owners don't care how much it sells for as long as reasonable, and autobahn just trying their luck since this is a no-financial-risk operation.

Re: Autob*hn -- Obnoxious, condescending and dishonest? You be the judge

Maybe that is why they can survive for so long....

it's quite a sweet deal. Get some place with cheap rental (I est only S$2.5K a month) then get your friends to spread the word round, to consign cars to him to sell, once in a blue moon sell some, make a killer profit on it and shake leg for the rest of the month.

They do a lot of expat biz..

exactly! Indonesians and recently Americans and Englishmen.

TripleM;251440 said:

Didn't have a good experience with them either.

In this case, they're obviously confused.

Its not their cars! Mostly consigned there by owners.

hitmee;251446 said:
but where did they get all the super cars? everytime i drive past....my salivas droooll

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18wincloud
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back