• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

BMW 6 or Porche or ??

Re: BMW 6 or Porche or ??

How old are your kids? And how many of them?

Reason I ask is that I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. They have just reached the age range where they are old enough to really appreciate going out with me for a drive(when younger, just go out already happy!). I have been a long term porsche fan but my current car (996 C4 cab) is my first tiptronic cabriolet 911 (the other prior ones were far more hardcore and were coupes). Now, they clamour to go out with the roof down. With booster seats, they fit perfectly in the back and love going for carrides. As such, if you have 2 or less young kids, the 911 doubles up nicely as a second car that can sit 4 at a pinch. Given your budget, the youngest 3.4 litre 996s or the earliest 3.6 996 cabs will fall within your price range (00-02 year of registration cars).

In comparison to the 6 series, you will get far more space in the six and a decent boot as well. For the 996, you get a much more involving drive and believe it or not, lower running costs. I am biased in my views but just wanted to give you the POV from a family man who uses his 'sports car' daily to work but is able to use it as the occassional 4 seater on the weekends as well.

PS. My family car is also an MPV and is the main form of transport on the weekends for the whole family.

Hello all,

Many thanks for the good and sound advise.

I have three kids, 10, 7 and 2. One wife and one maid. So a MPV is needed for the weekend. As for weekdays, it would be good to have a 2+2.

It seems that many friends recommend 6 as the car of choice. I personally do like the Porche 911 looks but afraid that it may be flashy for a business person. Thought that 6 would be a good compromise.

As for Merc, I do not like the interior, especially the steering wheel.

Think I may have to settle for the 6 unless a good priced Porche comes along.....

Thanks everyone...

exactly same dilemma and same budget when I was looking for a 2nd car. finally settled for a 6 and happily ever after

get a 6 ...
and welcome to the club

sobz... well at least i got a second car too... a OPC picanto... haha...

black_cat, the best solution to this nice dilemma is to take the two cars of choice on back-to-back drives from alexandra/leng kee to south buona vista and portsdown roads. They are both very different animals and a good hard drive should tell you which to choose.

In its favour, the 6 series can take all 3 of your kids if your wife comes along, whereas a 911 will only take 2. No back seats in a Boxster.

hackzi, only 1 fabled 993TT left in Singapore (the one with the factory Turbo S ducts), still with its original owner who uses it everyday, according to friends at Stuttgart.

My choice would be a 911 for sure. As Boris points out, you can get a nice 2002 3.6 996 C2 tip and have some cash left over for other things. Or a similar vintage C2 cabriolet tip and have just enough left for new sunglasses... And they really aren't that flashy. Actually I think Porsches are quite common these days.

I agree with Boris that costs of running a 911 (purchase consideration, insurance, maintenance, parts, fuel, etc.) actually compare very favourably to that of *any* BMW. In fact, I lost more $$$ on my E46 320Ci than I did on my 911 over the same 3 year period of time.

And I still have the 911.

and what a lovely 911 it is...... shweet....

foxfrc5;144181 said:
In its favour, the 6 series can take all 3 of your kids if your wife comes along, whereas a 911 will only take 2. No back seats in a Boxster.

6 series also 2 + 2 mah. how to take the wife plus 3 kids?
:juggle:

true... its a 2+2 .... but i've done some ferrying of people myself... meaning u can take an extra person behind... but for short distances... n definitely with the top covered up!

n for sure there's more 996s running ard than 6s.... unless ur a mod whore... i still think normal maintainence of a BM is definitely cheaperER compared to the Porsches...

would u consider the Audi S4 cabrio?

TripleM;143884 said:
Well, there's one M3 Cab just got transacted recently :)
I dont know the seller but I knw the new owner

Dave? the yellow/golden M3 cab..

hitmee;144190 said:
6 series also 2 + 2 mah. how to take the wife plus 3 kids?
:juggle:
Sorry you are right. Didn't realise there are only two rear seats in the 6er.

Just called the PML salesperson and she quoted around SGD259,000 after all the discount and rebates.

She also suggested the 7 as an alternative.

Regards,

black_cat;144055 said:
Hello all,

Many thanks for the good and sound advise.

I have three kids, 10, 7 and 2. One wife and one maid. So a MPV is needed for the weekend. As for weekdays, it would be good to have a 2+2.

It seems that many friends recommend 6 as the car of choice. I personally do like the Porche 911 looks but afraid that it may be flashy for a business person. Thought that 6 would be a good compromise.

As for Merc, I do not like the interior, especially the steering wheel.

Think I may have to settle for the 6 unless a good priced Porche comes along.....

Thanks everyone...

Yeap. A porsch is a porsch. Somehow, it will create wrong impression to your customers/suppliers eventhough you dont mean so.

I think that if you are resonably discreet about what and how you use your car, using a porker daily for office and office related work has little detrimental effect on your work or the way peers, customers, others view you. But the key word here is discreet.

In terms of running cost Foxy and I are on the same page. both of us have had both marques for a period of time and the running costs (depreciation aside) for me at least have always been marginally (not much less but it would surprise most to realise that it is anywhere even near the same!) lower for the porsche.

I had

E36M3 (4 years old) vs Boxster (1 year old) - Boxster was 30% cheaper

New E39 520 vs 993 RS (4 years old) - 993 was more cos E39 was under warranty so the 2-3 warranty items were covered but if included, would have been 520i being 10% cheaper

Peugeot 307SW vs 996 GT3 (2 years old) - nearly identical. Zero costs spent on the GT3 other than $300 oil changes every 5k km.

E39 M5 3.5 years old vs 993tt 8 years old (with FVD Stage 3 upgrade to 550 bhp) - This one was a real shocker. M5 was half the age of the turbo and bog standard. M5 cost me 50% more to maintain and was actually thistier!

If you take into account depreciation (the porkers were all used, the family cars were invariably newer and 2 were bought new), it was absolutely a no contest. All the porkers depreciated far less.

Also, bear in mind that porkers are pretty colour sensitive. Different colours and versions convey a very different impression. If you want something more 'professional', go for a grey/sliver typre of colour. It is almost anonymous if you know what I mean. Check out the agent who has a number of used cars for sale. If I am not wrong, there was a pretty nice 911 40th anniversary edition coupe in a special Carrera GT silver colour for sale recently.

Dont get me wrong, I am not knocking BMWs. I would suspect that maintaining and owning a Merc (watch this space for updates on running the R class) or an Audi would incur very similar expenses. What I am trying to point out is that the Porkers are relatively very cheap to run especially as compared to the Ferraris (the main factor as to why I have only had one before and only for 4 months) and are actually very competive in terms of maintainence costs vs the BMWs.

I think that if you are resonably discreet about what and how you use your car, using a porker daily for office and office related work has little detrimental effect on your work or the way peers, customers, others view you. But the key word here is discreet.

In terms of running cost Foxy and I are on the same page. both of us have had both marques for a period of time and the running costs (depreciation aside) for me at least have always been marginally (not much less but it would surprise most to realise that it is anywhere even near the same!) lower for the porsche.

I had

E36M3 (4 years old) vs Boxster (1 year old) - Boxster was 30% cheaper

New E39 520 vs 993 RS (4 years old) - 993 was more cos E39 was under warranty so the 2-3 warranty items were covered but if included, would have been 520i being 10% cheaper

Peugeot 307SW vs 996 GT3 (2 years old) - nearly identical. Zero costs spent on the GT3 other than $300 buck oil changes every 5k km.

E39 M5 3.5 years old vs 993tt 8 years old (with FVD Stage 3 upgrade to 550 bhp) - This one was a real shocker. M5 was half the age of the turbo and bog standard. M5 cost me 50% more to maintain and was actually thistier!

If you take into account depreciation (the porkers were all used, the family cars were invariably newer and 2 were bought new), it was absolutely a no contest. All the porkers depreciated far less.

Also, bear in mind that porkers are pretty colour sensitive. Different colours and versions convey a very different impression. If you want something more 'professional', go for a grey/sliver typre of colour. It is almost anonymous if you know what I mean. Check out the agent who has a number of used cars for sale. If I am not wrong, there was a pretty nice 911 40th anniversary edition coupe in a special Carrera GT colour for sale recently.

Hello BorisRS,

Thanks for the clarification. I had just done some "repair" to my 2002 E39 525 over the past 4 weeks:

a) Aircon leaks - About SGD2,800
b) Servicing and change brake pad and disc - SGD1,100
c) Rear RHS ABS Speed Sensor - SGD220.00
d) ABS/ASC Control unit - SGD1,500.00

who says BMW is cheap!

I had always thought that German cars are better build and should require less maintenance and breakdown. Having said that, BMW is really a joy to drive. Never regrets....

HI Black Cat,

I tink Les had already given a veri veri gd stand on tryin to convert u to poker ownership. I shall not say much....juz wanted to support his stand that if both cars hav no warranty left, the poker shld costs less to maintain in general.

I am also like u, havin an MPV n i hav a 986 box S runnin around for last 2 years plus. a joy to drive n own. n insurance is reali dirt cheap.....contrary to popular tinkin.....

Cheers

ACSCAB2;144419 said:
I am also like u, havin an MPV n i hav a 986 box S runnin around for last 2 years plus. a joy to drive n own. n insurance is reali dirt cheap.....contrary to popular tinkin.....
Cheers

How come u never go further and tell blackcat your ride is looking for new owner hah?:yummie:

Boris, sometimes I forget what fantastic wheels you have had (and still have): E36 M3, E39 M5, 996 GT3, 993 TT and 993 RS... I know which one I would have regretted selling (clue: no electric windows).

black_cat, that's a lot of dough to plonk down in 4 weeks. Perhaps you should consider keeping it since you've done so much work?

The only thing I've had to replace on my 2002 525iT thus far was the camshaft sensor, which was pretty cheap. So far, so good.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back