BMW Driver Training Dates (and a personal review from me)

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OLD THREAD WARNING!

Please note that this thread was written back in 2005. Prices may have changed, cars might be different. But we still highly recommend it.

================================================================

Just for everyone's info.

The next advanced driver training dates are as follows:

DATES UPDATED!!!
12 November 2005, Saturday
13 November 2005, Sunday
19 November 2005, Saturday (SOLD OUT)
20 November 2005, Sunday (SOLD OUT)
10 December 2005, Saturday
11 December 2005, Sunday

S$500.00/per person for PML customers
S$800.00/per person for the general public!

Looks like they have a new special driver training lesson targeted at young BMW owners or for members of their family, with less than 3 years of driving experience.

"This includes a welcome pack, all meals, transportation and insurance. The welcome pack includes the BMW Driver Training T-Shirt, a BMW cap, a map to the pick-up point as well as the itinerary of the day."

Call 6223 1090 or email [email protected] to book your dates!

Snagged from their site at http://pml.com.sg/bmw/DT/index.html

They have also a new video with highlights on their driver training.

http://www.pml.com.sg/bmw/DT/DT.wmv ( (Length: 4 min; File size: 11MB)

I guess I may as well say this now. Please don't mind me if it sounds like I’m trying to sell you something. I *do not* work for PML(Performance Motors Limited), BMW ASIA, or BMW AG. This is purely out of my own personal opinion after taking the course.

In my own opinion, for those who have not tried ADT (Advanced Driver Training), I STRONGLY recommend it. Five hundred bucks is a small price to pay to be able to learn defensive driving in a well structured and designed lesson for the WHOLE day, and furthermore...in a 330i!

Even though I took the course in way back in 2003, I can absolutely say that this course has taught me quite alot of things which has prevented me from getting into any accidents so far (choy!). I've been told by track lovers and well-concerned friends, that you can learn more by spending that same amount of cash by driving on track with your own car, but obviously the amount of *potential* damage by using your own car and risk of driving up to sepang / pasir gudang, can and most probably outweigh the cost of $500.

I haven't even got started with the techniques that can prevent an accident. BMW Driver Training is not a racing lesson. It is NOT a lesson on how to teach you how fast you can go around a corner without crashing. It is a DEFENSIVE driving lesson(s) which WILL stick to you for life. (Trust me on that.)

The course starts out with a theory lesson in Pasir Gudang's air-conditioned office by BMW trainers and go over important (but under looked) facts such as tyre wear, depth and distinctive types. Other lessons include seating position, optimal driving posture and more theory about oversteer, understeer, RWD systems and more. After the lesson...you'll proceed out to the carpark where the cars are waiting.

The cars are sport edition 330i's with sports suspension, headunit-less and a few additional buttons, which your trainer will explain..in glee. The buttons turn off ASC and all forms of electronic assistance, with exceptions to safety features. 3 people are assigned to each car, and there are in total of 6(or 7) training cars. Each car has a walkie-talkie which allows you to communicate to the specific trainer you are assigned to. There are 4 trainers in total. Very friendly, knowledgeable and most of all, very approachable and funny!

The practical lessons are REALLY fun. You really get to learn the various aspects of how a BMW handles in corners and how to do evasive maneuvers such as high speed lane changes, emergency braking in wet conditions, braking, oversteering exercises and counter-steering, in a safe and trainer-advised environment. The trainers are specially trained in Germany before they are allowed to teach, so they are the best folks to go to, when it comes to understanding BMWs and how they perform. They have balanced out their lessons pretty well, before you go "Wah.3 people in a car..", they have balanced it out such that you won't get tired repeating exercises. You also get to watch your fellow trainee make mistakes and learn from them. You don't get that much of "waiting-around-shake-leg" time as well, cause..before you know it, it's your turn to make the drive. Definitely one of the many good points compared to other Driver training courses organized by the various motoring organizations. You won't believe how many times we all had a good laugh in the car when someone did something silly.

Lunch and refreshment is really good as the food and drinks are all catered, and you get to chit-chat and makan with 17 other trainees and trainers in an aircon hall. The whole of the afternoon you get to spend it in the car around the race track. All the necessary cones and training equipment are laid out the day before hand (or before you even arrive.), so there is no waiting for any delay in setup.

Highlights of the training are the high speed lane-change WHILE cornering exercises at turn 1 of the Pasir Gudang racetrack. It sounds rather easy enough if you can picture it in your head (especially when you have done your own track time at Pasir Gudang). But cornering at stages at 70km, 80km and then 90km or a 1 LANE path (cones layout) is NOT easy. Even some self-proclaimed experienced drivers couldn't do it until the 3rd repetition later. We killed luigi (you'll find out who he is) quite a lot of times on that exercise.... :yummie: Other exercises are emergency lane-change without braking and oversteering exercise.

Individual group of cars take lessons on each separate part of the track simultaneously, so there is no long queue-up. The good folks in PML definitely done their lesson plans well! After proceeding with the rest of the other lessons, there is a track rounding session which will be lead by one of the instructors. You get to understand the racing lines and feel the wonderful purr and pull of the 3.0 6-cyclinder block. Everyone gets a chance to go round the track at least once. There is also a special taxi-ride whereby trainees will take a very fast ride by the instructors!

I was lucky enough to be driven around by ex-trainer Ringo Chong, in a STOCK 330i. You can not, absolutely believe how skilled this guy is...and how many times the car he drove, went into a controlled long sideway drifts. I was thankful the lady beside me, didn't lose her lunch. Some of the lucky members here had a special chance to sit in an E39 M5 a couple of years. That was even more hair-raising! Piggyboyz and Shawn...care to comment? heh heh.

End of the day, there is a timed slalom course, in which all lessons you have been through the day, will be put to the test. This is where you walk the talk, show how good you really are, and well, forget all the good things that Mr. Tan (or insert your teacher's name here) at the Driving Center told you when you first got your driving license. The slalom requires 110% of your attention and skill when you're maneuvering the car through a series of cones, U-turn and emergency brake. Don't be surprised you find yourself cursing if you hit a cone or do anything else which results in a demerit point (as well as addition to time) to your final result.

At the end of the day, you get a final debrief, prize and certificate ceremony. You then get on the coach and proceed with the journey back home to Singapore. At this point, I couldn't believe how much fun and new lessons I had learned about the car and driving defensively. To date, I still apply what I’ve learnt in that training session and already prevented and evaded a lot of potential mishaps, regardless of whether I’m driving a BMW or driving a 20-year old Honda. The increased awareness and knowledge of traffic conditions has really made me a better driver than I was before.

I am NOT a pro at track; neither am I at driving fast, but there is anything more which I could agree more, in driving safely on our roads today.

Fellow members of BMW.SG, before you spend your money on a new set of rims, bodykits, fuel magnet(haha), air filter, or other stuff. PLEASE, PLEASE...sign up for this Advanced Driver Training course, if you haven't already taken it. The returns for this driver training is WORTH a lot more than what you put into the car, simply because you put it into yourself first. If there is only ONE modification I could recommend for you AND your car, it's this.

BMW Driver Training applies to all BMW owners (and their family members), so you can still get that 500$ rate even if the car is owned by your mom or dad. It doesn't matter whether your car is 3 months old or 20 years old. You can still sign up.

I welcome all members of this forum, to comment on what they feel about what I have wrote, and owners who have already gone through the course, on what they have learnt about the car, themselves after going through the training. (For starters, can Raffles and Eric (888iz) comment?)

Now..if only someone could sponsor me for the intensive driver course. :errrrrrr: .. Again, please sign up today. You can thank me later.

Some of the pictures i've took with my camera back then. You can view the rest of the photos here.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=512

ADT2003-22.jpg

ADT2003-20.jpg

idt00045.JPG

idt00001.JPG

plus, keith and all the other trainers are very nice. and u do get a cert and a car decal after that...

Hi Ryan,

Well done on yr write up! I'll be doing mine this Sunday..i think 1 more place might still be available !

Cheers !

Jeremy

Re: BMW Driver Training Dates (and a personal review from me)

Hi, my dad use to own a E36, exported 2yrs back. Will I still be offered the $500 discounted price?

sorry, sounds a little silly...but for $500...I gonna give it a shot! :)

spacie said:
Hi, my dad use to own a E36, exported 2yrs back. Will I still be offered the $500 discounted price?

sorry, sounds a little silly...but for $500...I gonna give it a shot! :)
Spacie,

I suggest you call Cynthia and ask.. really no harm trying.

Just state that your dad used to be an owner and see how things go. I really, really recommend it.

Cheers!

Hi Ryan,

thanks for your prompt reply!! Yup, shall give her a call. Await my good news!! Hhahah!! See ya all ard soon!

Good stuff Ryan.

If I had the option of going for this I would. Believe it is really good for anyone who has not studied vehicle dynamics or run some trackdays. Even for those who have, the instruction of a professional and the structured experience of driving the different scenarios one might encounter on the roads, is really valuable.

There is no space on the roads, to legally or safely, practice what is taught at the track. A lot of squirrels talk about street stuff, but it just does not compare. Besides you get drive a 330i and put the wear and tear on a car other than your own, explore the limits of the E46 chassis and make yourself a safer, more confident driver. 500 SGD for all this is really a steal.

Shaun, you can still go as non-owner mah, $700 still a steal right. But I think they will give priority to owners so may have to see your luck lor.

Oh thanks DD.. I very well may attend if and when I am back on vacation. :)

Thanks for the info ryan... very tempted to participate.
Already making enquiries.

If cannot make it this time, will still definitely wait for the next!

ryan said:
Just for everyone's info.

The next advanced driver training dates are as follows:

16 April 2005, Saturday
17 April 2005, Sunday
7 May 2005, Saturday
8 May 2005, Sunday
21 May 2005, Saturday
22 May 2005, Sunday*

Looks like they have a new special driver training lesson targeted at young BMW owners or for members of their family, with less than 3 years of driving experience.

"This includes a welcome pack, all meals, transportation and insurance. The welcome pack includes the BMW Driver Training T-Shirt, a BMW cap, a map to the pick-up point as well as the itinerary of the day."

Call 6223 1090 or email [email protected] to book your dates!

$500 for BMW owners, and $700 for non-owners and corporate packages.

Snagged from their site at http://pml.com.sg/bmw/DT/index.html

They have also a new video with highlights on their driver training.

http://www.pml.com.sg/bmw/DT/DT.wmv ( (Length: 4 min; File size: 11MB)

I guess I may as well say this now. Please don't mind me if it sounds like I’m trying to sell you something. I *do not* work for PML(Performance Motors Limited), BMW ASIA, or BMW AG. This is purely out of my own personal opinion after taking the course.

In my own opinion, for those who have not tried ADT (Advanced Driver Training), I STRONGLY recommend it. Five hundred bucks is a small price to pay to be able to learn defensive driving in a well structured and designed lesson for the WHOLE day, and furthermore...in a 330i!

Even though I took the course in way back in 2003, I can absolutely say that this course has taught me quite alot of things which has prevented me from getting into any accidents so far (choy!). I've been told by track lovers and well-concerned friends, that you can learn more by spending that same amount of cash by driving on track with your own car, but obviously the amount of *potential* damage by using your own car and risk of driving up to sepang / pasir gudang, can and most probably outweigh the cost of $500.

I haven't even got started with the techniques that can prevent an accident. BMW Driver Training is not a racing lesson. It is NOT a lesson on how to teach you how fast you can go around a corner without crashing. It is a DEFENSIVE driving lesson(s) which WILL stick to you for life. (Trust me on that.)

The course starts out with a theory lesson in Pasir Gudang's air-conditioned office by BMW trainers and go over important (but under looked) facts such as tyre wear, depth and distinctive types. Other lessons include seating position, optimal driving posture and more theory about oversteer, understeer, RWD systems and more. After the lesson...you'll proceed out to the carpark where the cars are waiting.

The cars are sport edition 330i's with sports suspension, headunit-less and a few additional buttons, which your trainer will explain..in glee. The buttons turn off ASC and all forms of electronic assistance, with exceptions to safety features. 3 people are assigned to each car, and there are in total of 6(or 7) training cars. Each car has a walkie-talkie which allows you to communicate to the specific trainer you are assigned to. There are 4 trainers in total. Very friendly, knowledgeable and most of all, very approachable and funny!

The practical lessons are REALLY fun. You really get to learn the various aspects of how a BMW handles in corners and how to do evasive maneuvers such as high speed lane changes, emergency braking in wet conditions, braking, oversteering exercises and counter-steering, in a safe and trainer-advised environment. The trainers are specially trained in Germany before they are allowed to teach, so they are the best folks to go to, when it comes to understanding BMWs and how they perform. They have balanced out their lessons pretty well, before you go "Wah.3 people in a car..", they have balanced it out such that you won't get tired repeating exercises. You also get to watch your fellow trainee make mistakes and learn from them. You don't get that much of "waiting-around-shake-leg" time as well, cause..before you know it, it's your turn to make the drive. Definitely one of the many good points compared to other Driver training courses organized by the various motoring organizations. You won't believe how many times we all had a good laugh in the car when someone did something silly.

Lunch and refreshment is really good as the food and drinks are all catered, and you get to chit-chat and makan with 17 other trainees and trainers in an aircon hall. The whole of the afternoon you get to spend it in the car around the race track. All the necessary cones and training equipment are laid out the day before hand (or before you even arrive.), so there is no waiting for any delay in setup.

Highlights of the training are the high speed lane-change WHILE cornering exercises at turn 1 of the Pasir Gudang racetrack. It sounds rather easy enough if you can picture it in your head (especially when you have done your own track time at Pasir Gudang). But cornering at stages at 70km, 80km and then 90km or a 1 LANE path (cones layout) is NOT easy. Even some self-proclaimed experienced drivers couldn't do it until the 3rd repetition later. We killed luigi (you'll find out who he is) quite a lot of times on that exercise.... :yummie: Other exercises are emergency lane-change without braking and oversteering exercise.

Individual group of cars take lessons on each separate part of the track simultaneously, so there is no long queue-up. The good folks in PML definitely done their lesson plans well! After proceeding with the rest of the other lessons, there is a track rounding session which will be lead by one of the instructors. You get to understand the racing lines and feel the wonderful purr and pull of the 3.0 6-cyclinder block. Everyone gets a chance to go round the track at least once. There is also a special taxi-ride whereby trainees will take a very fast ride by the instructors!

I was lucky enough to be driven around by ex-trainer Ringo Chong, in a STOCK 330i. You can not, absolutely believe how skilled this guy is...and how many times the car he drove, went into a controlled long sideway drifts. I was thankful the lady beside me, didn't lose her lunch. Some of the lucky members here had a special chance to sit in an E39 M5 a couple of years. That was even more hair-raising! Piggyboyz and Shawn...care to comment? heh heh.

End of the day, there is a timed slalom course, in which all lessons you have been through the day, will be put to the test. This is where you walk the talk, show how good you really are, and well, forget all the good things that Mr. Tan (or insert your teacher's name here) at the Driving Center told you when you first got your driving license. The slalom requires 110% of your attention and skill when you're maneuvering the car through a series of cones, U-turn and emergency brake. Don't be surprised you find yourself cursing if you hit a cone or do anything else which results in a demerit point (as well as addition to time) to your final result.

At the end of the day, you get a final debrief, prize and certificate ceremony. You then get on the coach and proceed with the journey back home to Singapore. At this point, I couldn't believe how much fun and new lessons I had learned about the car and driving defensively. To date, I still apply what I’ve learnt in that training session and already prevented and evaded a lot of potential mishaps, regardless of whether I’m driving a BMW or driving a 20-year old Honda. The increased awareness and knowledge of traffic conditions has really made me a better driver than I was before.

I am NOT a pro at track; neither am I at driving fast, but there is anything more which I could agree more, in driving safely on our roads today.

Fellow members of BMW.SG, before you spend your money on a new set of rims, bodykits, fuel magnet(haha), air filter, or other stuff. PLEASE, PLEASE...sign up for this Advanced Driver Training course, if you haven't already taken it. The returns for this driver training is WORTH a lot more than what you put into the car, simply because you put it into yourself first. If there is only ONE modification I could recommend for you AND your car, it's this.

BMW Driver Training applies to all BMW owners (and their family members), so you can still get that 500$ rate even if the car is owned by your mom or dad. It doesn't matter whether your car is 3 months old or 20 years old. You can still sign up.

I welcome all members of this forum, to comment on what they feel about what I have wrote, and owners who have already gone through the course, on what they have learnt about the car, themselves after going through the training. (For starters, can Raffles and Eric (888iz) comment?)

Now..if only someone could sponsor me for the intensive driver course. :errrrrrr: .. Again, please sign up today. You can thank me later.

Some of the pictures i've took with my camera back then. You can view the rest of the photos here.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=512

ADT2003-22.jpg

ADT2003-20.jpg
Ryan, i love to take this course. But is suitable 4 guys right?

Jewell, its not true that its just for guys. its for anyone that owns a bimmer and wants to learn more about the dynamics and control of the car!

Cheers!

Jewell_sg,

Not at all. 1/3 of the trainees were females, and they all enjoyed it. You don't need to be a "hiong" driver to appreciate it.

Dvanos, can we have your opinion on both Advanced and Intensive Driver training? :)

Jewell_sg said:
Ryan, i love to take this course. But is suitable 4 guys right?

I called the lady in charge of the ADT she mentioned that come June the lessons will be conducted in E90s. So I'm holding out till June.

Jewell,

I'm not sure, but there is a few potential interested members here who's willing to go.

The problem is, when you get there..they will mix you up in groups. So you probably may not be able to sit with your friend etc. But generally, everyone is OKAY there. ;)

jaskin said:
I called the lady in charge of the ADT she mentioned that come June the lessons will be conducted in E90s. So I'm holding out till June.

Cool! I think i'll go for the June ADT too! :)

Cool. Sam, if u aiming for June session, count me in and we go together ok? (Originally, I wanna go for the 21 May session. But if there is a e90 available from June, I am gonna tahan till then).

okay andy! So now i guess its Jason, u and me for June course! Let's wait and see if there are other pple going too!

Jewell, if u want, u can come join the June ADT with us! Long time never see u liao!

ryan, that is a very nice and detailed writeup

you really reminded me about that nice and good experience especially when u go with a few kakis where u can joke, chat and laugh at each other for the mistakes we made.

u forgotten to include the incident when ringo did a power drift and burst one of the rear tires but still able to keep the car under control, think u are in the car, rite ? also not forgetting vincent able to follow so closely right behind ringo, driving with one hand while holding to a talkie in another. really very impressed with the trainers.

last but not least, i nearly went out of the skid pan.......... luckily managed to keep the beast under control in the end.

this is a good training and it makes u appreciate the bimmer more, really worth every penny spent. only problem is u will get tempted to get a 330 and feel so awkward when u drive back with your own car cos u feel your own car is so sluggish.

i really dun mind going for another adt in the new e90, calling raffles... or maybe idt ?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
banca-doithuongcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back