BMW Driver Training Dates (and a personal review from me)

Re: BMW Driver Training Dates (and a personal review from me)

Hi guys n gals

I just went for the last one last week 17 april, excellent ! there were also 4 lovely ladies who
joined for this ADT, total we had i think was 15-16 ppl, so Jewel thats not a problem for ladies. Actually
some of them did better at certain areas.

Wat a coincidence that Keith was my ex neighbour long time ago and Brian during NCC days so of course got extra tekan lessons from them. All the instructors were very helpful and clear

I have to say that after this course, it gives u plenty of confidence to handle the car even in extreme
conditions. I cant wait to go for IDT !!

Cheers !

sorry for the late reply.

i went for both the ADT n IDT few years back. its worth every dollar!!

they taught us defensive driving techniques, e.g. emergency lane change, braking in d wet, initially i tot nothing of it, but these techniques saved my life more than once. by instinct, i know how to react in dangerous situations. i m so glad i took the course!

ADT is one course i would recommend to any driver, new or experienced, young or old, male or female. ;)

u will learn to appreciate your bimmer more.

ryan said:
...and there are in total of 6(or 7) training cars....

I welcome all members of this forum, to comment on what they feel about what I have wrote, and owners who have already gone through the course, on what they have learnt about the car, themselves after going through the training. (For starters, can Raffles and Eric (888iz) comment?)

Nothing much to add onto the already fantastic write up, Ryan ! :thumbsup:

Just recalled total of 8 330 trainer cars' exhausts singing immediately after firing them up. :cloud9:
The rest of the day is like day dreaming till you're back in Sg & continue dreaming through your sleep till the next day ! :drool:
It's just too great to be true ! :lol2:

ADT is highly recommended or I would put it, "A Must Go !" :woottt:

I've got some pics (#1-15) & videos (#16-20) to share as well: 2003 May ADT Pics & Vids Link

Hmm.. not bad. Pls add me in for June. I wanna join too. Ya lor.. long time no see ya. How's e program like? is it just 1 day course? :)

Hmmmmm..... I promised Ryan that i will chip in something here but i've slogging till i forgot about this totally until i browse thru the photos and it really bring back a lot of memories....

My ADT experience
I bot my first BMW in 2000 and then when PML starts it's BMW advance driver training (ADT), i told myself that i will not miss this. Then, i dragged along my best buddy along so that it will be more of a fun and adventurous day, i soon found out that i made a mistake ! i tell u why later hurhurhur....

The day started early since i was pretty excited and did not sleep till 2am and woke up at 4. Then finally comes the time and there we were, heading towards Pasir Gudang for our training.

When we reached, we were greeted by 6 Silver E46 and on careful observation, it says 328i and we were like wow !! Cos in 2000, the highest spec were 328i, before 330i makes it's debut...

After a morning briefing in the briefing room on the basic principle of defensive and driving technique, together with proper driving position, we soon find ourselves firing up the car for a warm up session.

Driving between pylons isn't too difficult and although this is only warming session, a few of us were already oer zealous and starting to drive a bit quicker than asked before being told to follow instructions haha !!

Then the proper braking technique followed by swerving to avoid obstacles, one session after another making us forgot that it's lunch time !

Had our lunch break in the paddock area and then the day continues with handling the car and getting a feel of what understeer and oversteer feels like and the controlling technique before completing the day with a slalom test where we are timed for driving round slalom, U turn and parking into "garage"

And that's when i realised that i make a misake by pulling my buddy along hahaha !!! cos he took my first place away from me and completed about 0.2 second faster than me, and i have to be contented with a runner up in overall timing hahaha !!!!!

And while we were being timed for the slalom test, the other part of track were sizzling hot, not by the track temperature but we were luckly enough that in those days, we had Ringo to bring us around the track for Ring Taxi Ride in the training car, drifting every single corner in PG with the training car, going sideways. If that was not enough to set your adrelain pumping, the next taxi ride, on the E39 M5 will ! The car though torquey but was so refined and we wouldn't find it fast until u take a peek at the speedometer when u realised that the car is charging at 200kph into the straight and turning into T2 by just dropping gear without much braking ! Phew....

Anyway i had my every single cent worth later when PML called me about a few month later to invite me to watch F1 together with another 40 7 series owner for clocking one of the best overall timing. By having dinner with Ralf Schumacer and Frank William actually makes every single penny worthed :)

My Intensive Driver Training (IDT)
After my ADT in those day, u will actually suffer from down symdrom cos i had to wait for like 2 years before the yactually started the IDT.

So when i got wind that they are starting the IDT, u know i won't let it slip past and block booked the whole sesssion for the first lesson available to public hehe !

And if u think u have conquered the ADT, u r already reach the peak in driving, the IDT will make u feel that the ADT is just peanut. The ADT capped all driving at 70kph and although that is already pretty fast while swerving out of obstacles, the IDT repeat some of those exercise at a more realistic speed of 100kph, something that we are more accustomised to, in day to day driving.

Imagine, driving at 100kph, car in front stopped, u got to swerve out to the left but the road is swing to the right. After hitting cone (luigi) a few times and then u realised that it's no longer difficult. The course then progresses to more exercise like swerving and braking into corners without losing the tail of the car. Also, more exercise is now emphasise on controlling the car by going thru understeer and oversteer exercise, doing controlled drift session and of course, the infamous Reverse Flick, where u reverse, flick the steering and turn 180 degree to get yourself out of trouble in cases of emergency.

The day ends with a sumptous dinner osted by PML and a 5 star hotel stay in JB before heading back to PG the next morning.

The next morning starts with morning exercise to loosen up the car and the driver a bit, to drive around slalom again and synchronised driving before we are being tested in a gymkhana, where we driver have to negotiates 2 donut, doing controlled drifting, a reverse flick and then parked into garage in a timed session.

Then when all is completed, the session break for lunch before heading back to the classroom, this time round, for basic track session knowledge. By now, all are very eager to start up the car again and charge into the corners with the new acquired skill. Then the instructors broke us into 2 sub group and we were made to walk every corner of the track to gain a indepth knowledge of the corner to appreciate it.

The whole afternoon, we just push each other, from corners after corner, taking turn to go behind the instructor car to set pace for the rest of the pack and progress.. Just imagine that the car needs pitstop after realising that my car needs petrol after running only for half an afternoon will tell u how much fun i had and how hard i push the car ! In fact, my training car used 2 brand new set of tyres for the 2 day lesson hehe !

The 1600 buxs might be a hefty sum to part but then after the course, everyone of us tot that it was well worthed it. In fact, not too long after the course, while i was travelling on Eunos area, this car suddenly swerved into my lane and then realised that the light turn amber and stomp the brake, i instintively swerve out to the next lane, after checking it's clear, powered the car thru the lights and then swing back again as the lane was blocked, all within seconds, makes me feel that i have recovered the cost.

With the new E90 coming in June, we will expect to see some of the hard core ppl in here going for a "refresher" course again hurhurhur !!!

Just a word of advice, go in a group, it makes the whole session much more enjoyable !

And if u r still thinking whether it's worth it, my answer is "Absolutely Yes"

:)

Nice write up Alan, wow you got to taxi with Ringo and have dinner with R. Schumacher and Frank Williams. That's very worth it!

Nice writeup Alan. Wah you so fast huh :D

If a non-owner graduates from ADT, will PML let him do IDT? If yes, how much?

Shaun,

My understanding is that u will need ADT to go for the IDT. Supposingly, they will check for their record for the ADT before letting u enrol for IDT.....

U can call yourself Ryan if need be hehehe !!!!

Thanks Alan :) I understand the concept of ADT first, followed by IDT. I was asking if IDT is officially open to public and for how much extra.

I'm not quite sure impersonating a BMW owner would work. Don't they have checks in place to stop this kind of thing? If not, anyone can go through ADT and then IDT, at the owner price since everyone knows someone who owns a late model BMW.

Alan, thanks for the great write up. When I attended the ADT, I think it was in 2001, Ringo was there and we got a taxi ride in the E39 M5, it was on a damp PG track, quite the hairy experience. I must say that seeing Ringo working at the wheel is simply amazing!

I would very much like to go for the IDT when they introduce the E90s into the course, especially if it's together with the Bros from BMW.SG.

So if any of you guys are planning to go, please let me know....thanks!

Shaun, either way, since you'll have to go ADT first, just make sure that you find out about IDT for non-owners when you're there lah. Then, if answer is NO, you'll have the whole day to try to work your way to a YES with the organisers/instructors mah, hehe..

The "yes" for IDT right from the very start makes the whole ADT and IDT deal a lot more attractive. ADT alone will be fun too I'm sure, but I'm just trying to find out what I can right now. No harm yah? :)

Shaun,

Sorry for the late reply, i try to ask for you tomolo when i get to office..

Don think they open the course to non BMW owner yet....

ok thanks lots. absolutely no rush.. only if you are really free please.

Dear all,

New dates updated! I have also changed the dates on the first page/post.

25 June 2005, Saturday
26 June 2005, Sunday
23 July 2005, Saturday
24 July 2005, Sunday

New dates for the next ADT!

6 August 2005, Saturday
7 August 2005, Sunday
20 August 2005, Saturday
21 August 2005, Sunday

Hi there! Does anyone have any info on when the ADT course for new drivers is going to be conducted? And has anyone here been to the Performance Driver Training by Denis Lian? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
banca-doithuongcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back