BMW Performance Brakes

Re: BMW Performance Brakes

I did my Performance BBK at PML. They actually took 2 days, and they said its because need to do programming and syncing of the car onboard computer to recognise the new brakes to ensure the performance.

Scooby75;456451 said:
Bros..... can anyone advise :
for fitting of BBK - after that need to do any "updates" to the ECU or other stuffs like that? or is it just plug and play for all those other brands such as alcon, stoptech ,etc.

Heya Scooby, from my personal experience of purchasing and retrofitting the Performance BBK from PML, there's a bit of software "sync-ing" to be done with our OBC.

Basically the new set of brakes will have to be recognized by our Bimmer's OBC for:

1) Brake pad wear indicator

2) DTC sync-ing & calibration

My ride spent 2 whole days in PML to get the software issues sorted out cos there some initial "teething problems" on PML's side. Hope that after numerous retrofits that have taken place they'd be able to sort out the issue faster.

I believe other brands don't face such software issues is because there weren't any designed for them to start with. With BMW Performance Brakes being an OEM set, it's rather comprehensive in terms of their package coverage, not simply just the hardware but software included.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

can anyone advise if the Performance Brake Kit is not installed by PML, will there be the same problem, need to spend 2 days for the software "sync-ing" to be done with our OBC.

Bro jnoelq.....thanks. just also wondering in this case if a non-BMW performance BBK was installed, will it jeopardize the DTC function? not too concerned about brake pad wear indication though. :)

Scooby75;456652 said:
Bro jnoelq.....thanks. just also wondering in this case if a non-BMW performance BBK was installed, will it jeopardize the DTC function? not too concerned about brake pad wear indication though. :)

Heya Scooby, did ask the tech guys at PML and they said that the DTC and all the other driving aids will still function but not at their manufactured design optimum.

And of course the other major issue will be warranty if yours is a new ride......*touch wood* that nothing goes wrong should one decide to retrofit with any other after-market brands.

Cheers!

Hi all bros who have done the BMW Performance BBK, any feedback on the effects of Fuel comsumption? I am currently monitoring mine. Seems to be affected. Even pickup seems to be have a negative reduction.

thanks in advance

mb1802003;457545 said:
Hi all bros who have done the BMW Performance BBK, any feedback on the effects of Fuel comsumption? I am currently monitoring mine. Seems to be affected. Even pickup seems to be have a negative reduction.

thanks in advance

Hey there, I've had mine done at PML and have been running on it for about a month now. So far no issues with the fuel consumption & pickup.

With respect to what you mentioned, I don't think having a BBK will have any effect on fuel consumption and pickup not unless you've got binding brake pads that's constantly in contact with your rotors even without any brake pedal application. May wanna bring it back to where you've got it installed for check-up.

Cheers!

hi,

glad to hear that. will monitor for another full tank to judge better than. Thanks mate.

i realise for those who install these BBKs complain about consumption and slower acceleration is true.. they weigh a ton man! Only the front rotors alone is damn heavy!! Mine just arrived yeaterday and i nearly hurt my back while removing them from the boxes.. was also wondering for the rear is there any issues about parking brake modification if fitting them.. think gotta try them out and will know if there is any modification issues..

For those who have taken the plunge, well......jus enjoy it.....Peace

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi het,

welcome in......

remember is Bimmer.

cheers

Will there be any aftermarket rotors and pads replacement for BMW bake kit?

So far any 320 bros fitted these brakes? These kit do not come with brake carriers and was wondering if they are a direct fit onto the chassis or need to add modify/stock carriers like upgrading to 335i brakes. Please advise.

Oem up-grading kits are always cheaper then after market brand. FYI, AMG BBK 8 pots front/ 4 pots rear at only $6k & below for their MB.

does anybody know if upgrading BBK requires updating of software? such as Brembos, Rotoras and the like?

i mean for E90.
Many thanks

tom_ting;463559 said:
does anybody know if upgrading BBK requires updating of software? such as Brembos, Rotoras and the like?

i mean for E90.
Many thanks

Nope.

I've done 36 set of Brembo GT BBK, 23 set of Stoptech BBK, I'm running Brembo GT BBK myself....never update software.

Don't rely on the OBD/Idrive too much, regular servicing & visual inspection on pads & hoses are better.

Ai Brembo mai?

'The Great White'

het;462933 said:
I've been reading this post with great interest. I'm not driving a beemer but i understand a 4 pot Brembo with ventiliated disc for Rx8 is retailing at around $4100 from Autobac. 2 diff types of cars but i reckon the price should hover around that region, if not more for beemer. it.....Peace

I think they're also two kinds of Brembo 4pots.

The GT one
- Almost as big as most other brands 6pots

Another that is notably smaller
- More like stock brembos on say the Type-R

Perhaps the experts could chime in...

ac323;462936 said:
Hi het,

welcome in......

remember is Bimmer.

cheers

Tks for the kind reminder.......

niteblu;463653 said:
I think they're also two kinds of Brembo 4pots.

The GT one
- Almost as big as most other brands 6pots

Another that is notably smaller
- More like stock brembos on say the Type-R

Perhaps the experts could chime in...

I tink mayb ur rite on tis 1.........but end of the day, I've seldom / never really saw authorised dealer offering good deals......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parkerkathy118
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back