BMW SG now and then

Re: BMW SG now and then

Cars like E39 and E46 are so much easier to mod than the current fleet, which I think partly explains the kind of forum discussions back then. Everyone I know seems to be crazy over mods and always hanging out at workshops, wonder if it is still like that now??

Most seemed more hands off these days ..... But maybe its the timing ....

yogi_lite;1001348 said:
Cars like E39 and E46 are so much easier to mod than the current fleet, which I think partly explains the kind of forum discussions back then. Everyone I know seems to be crazy over mods and always hanging out at workshops, wonder if it is still like that now??

yogi_lite;1001348 said:

Nowadays, many will post a thread asking if xxx or YYY will void warranty or not, before they start to mod.

C3P0;1001376 said:
Nowadays, many will post a thread asking if xxx or YYY will void warranty or not, before they start to mod.
Va Va Voom!!

C3P0;1001376 said:

Plus complaint on forum as PM here and there then nobody replied or replied late.......

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

C3P0;1001376 said:

Which one more jialat? Void warranty or sister punishment for secretly spending money on mods?

iltdqd;1001384 said:
Which one more jialat? Void warranty or sister punishment for secretly spending money on mods?

oh under declare???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

At least no one asking about tyre pressure these days.......1-2 years back it was the like the FC questions......

Last time meetup like this one

DSC07280.jpg~original

Then nightdrive dunno go where

DSC03737.jpg~original

DSC03738.jpg~original

End up.......

DSC03740.jpg~original

Last time:

DSC04342.jpg~original

DSC04338.jpg~original

DSC04340.jpg~original

DSC04329.jpg~original

DSC04321.jpg~original

DSC04316.jpg~original

DSC04314.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:

Mockngbrd;1001485 said:
Last time meetup like this one

DSC07280.jpg~original

That was outside Lorong 20, all waiting for next available slot.....

haha that night drive. we were in bkt brown cemetery! n saify did the legendary 7 series donut...next to the tombs at like 1am? ahaha.

Got wake anything up ?

totoseow;1001501 said:
haha that night drive. we were in bkt brown cemetery! n saify did the legendary 7 series donut...next to the tombs at like 1am? ahaha.

Jason8822;1000825 said:
When i joined bmw_sg in 2008, the post back then were very different from what we see today.
At that time most of the post i saw were about modifying our bmws to enhance our handling or increasing the engine output.
Occasionally we get to read some very technical articles about our bmw like how the engine work and technicals of the suspension etc and how to get the most out of our cars.
I dun remember seeing any post about how to save fuel, only how to burn more fuel and go faster.
And there are lots of post to sell dubious items like hp number, bags, watches and such.
Luckily all the other threads like NSFW and non automotive related are more or less the same.

I keep asking myself this question - what caused this change ?

Have Singapore bmw owners demographic changed so much over the years as reflected in their post here.
From the "Heck care about FC" attitude to "How to improve BMW FC" attitude.
Isn't BMW's efficient dynamics doing a good job in improving FC?
Today's 1800kg F10 520 consume much less fuel per km compared to a 1500kg E39 520 of year 2000 back then.
Perhaps the demographics have really changed.
Back then in 2008, a 520 cost about double of a camry/cefiro while today the price is not that far off.
Today a 320 is going for 200k while a camry is about 170k, 316 is selling at 180k.
Can i say people who buy bmw back then are more affluent therefore less affected by the running cost of their BMW?

The next issue is about forum members WTS posts.
There are many times more of non BMW related items than BMW related items and worse is many are not even car related.
It used to be mostly car related and BMW specific at that.

Huge change i can feel, very huge one .....

I saw Jinooi's thread and also saw yours and I fully agree with you on what you said. very very different from last time.

Red_Bean_Bun;1001506 said:
Got wake anything up ?
no they died twice.

we went to old changi hospital too....n kenna mata interrogate for 1hour. they thought we were rich kids going there to take drugs. blardy 30 cars trying to find ghosts

mock. more pictures pls. any of us playing counterstrike? we shud organise. i wonder who still play counterstrike..come play with uncle toto.

Last group photo still got my E39.

I guess maybe people nowadays do not know the real history of the BMW, the old machines such as E28, E30, E39 and the old M cars. Most people want to have it just because of the badge and number series ( the bigger number the better??), which I find it sad. However, cant blame these poeple because there is not many would want to keep an old classics here due to the tight goverment policy unlike other part of the world.

I used to own a dark green 2-door E30 325i SE when I was very young and I started to appreciate the history or the evolution of the carmaker. Once, I dragged race with my friend's AMG E28 and I managed to outrun him in a 1/4 mile run. But I sold it due to work and financial constraint to maintain the car in tip top condition. Yes, lots of money has to be spent on it due to wear and tear. Meanwhile, I knew E28 M5 when I was in my teens and I must say even till now it is my dream to own it. But of course, with the modern technology in newer and more powerful engine I must at times I am such a sucker drawn to it but thats just WOW-factor and not the appreciation of its development stages.

I dont have the solution here on how we can make/improve the forum but I believe the problem we are facing here is that we do not have many classic BMWs to work on and rebuilding it. Many projects on refurbishing classics cars is happening but not commonly found here. Having said that Munich Auto has done a great job in preserving and rebuilding the M3 which I really love it and appreciate the work MA has done on such spectacular machine.

I do not know how many E30 M3, for example still running here in Singapore but it will be one hell of an experience talking to the owner and find out how he/she managed to keep such car in pristine condition. I once saw a classic red coloured Alfa Romeo running along the AYE late at night with its top down and I was so excited. Too bad I cant just stop him and said, "Great car you have got there". It'd be nice if we can have a conversation.

Trying to be a king of wishful thinking here maybe should get the government to consider allowing selected classic cars to be kept and show/educate the younger generation. If and only if.........

e36 meetup:

D4F69E45-F30E-4C05-BBE5-CA54EFD8FAA9-1651-000001510FA1D977.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sin88bar
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back