BMWSG Pasir Gudang track day, anyone?

Re: BMWSG Pasir Gudang track day, anyone?

Shaun;621067 said:
ok self correction.. A048 is a street tire that came on the E9. A046 that came with E8s is a semi. And apparently this E9 was on Goodyear RSes. So better.. but still...

A048 is semi slick, now replaced by A050.
Stock E9 from CnC comes with A046, i believe thats semis as well, but many think otherwise. The A046 have street tyre grooves, thats for sure.
Hv not tried goodyearRS, hence no comments.
No comment on timing.

ah thanks.. the Goodyear RS are definitely rated by the company and users as of a lower class so are a handicap vs the other listed tires.

Hey all,

A video of my last race at PG in a EK4 Honda Civic. Lovely track...hard on the tires though. Great for learning linings and smooth driving!

More racing videos:

http://gerald-tan.com/gallery/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqKxUEW_TFI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AqKxUEW_TFI[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Racebred;621268 said:
it's *cough cough* making about 270bhp.

i dun remember 320i makes 270bhp.

UK_STi;621892 said:
Hey all,
A video of my last race at PG in a EK4 Honda Civic. Lovely track...hard on the tires though. Great for learning linings and smooth driving!
[/url]

smooth. looks like taking it quite "easy"?
around the 1:54 mark from 2:22, 4:16, 6:11 timing on youtube.

around the 1:54 mark from 2:22, 4:16, 6:11 timing on youtube.[/QUOTE]

I was not really taking it easy, this is kind of typical of my driving style. But I had to be more conservative at PG as it was a 15 lap sprint race, try driving 15 laps in a row at PG and see what it does to your tires! I was running on the Sepang 1000km standard issue Federal semi-slicks. By the end of 15 laps, the steel threads were showing already! Imagine what will happen if I try and push harder or be any rougher...

Anyways, when you race or are "pushing" you need not be driving rough. Rough driving does not equate to fast driving. Also, being smooth means that you have a better chance to finish, to finish first, first you must finish.

zuoom;621908 said:
around the 1:54 mark from 2:22, 4:16, 6:11 timing on youtube.

I was not really taking it easy, this is kind of typical of my driving style. But I had to be more conservative at PG as it was a 15 lap sprint race, try driving 15 laps in a row at PG and see what it does to your tires! I was running on the Sepang 1000km standard issue Federal semi-slicks. By the end of 15 laps, the steel threads were showing already! Imagine what will happen if I try and push harder or be any rougher...

Anyways, when you race or are "pushing" you need not be driving rough. Rough driving does not equate to fast driving. Also, being smooth means that you have a better chance to finish, to finish first, first you must finish.

i see people taking part in the 5 lap race. the amount of wear is insane. like from a brand new tyre to a trashed one.

the earlier picture i posted was from a guy that did only about 5 hot laps. granted, it's just a regular cheap street tyre.
but even for those guys with the R888, they pretty much chew the tyre up by the dozen odd lap too.

if there was any rough handling, like super hard braking n skidding. almost any tyre will be done in 3.

yes, key is to finish. DNF would mean nothing.

Tyres i tried in PG:
A046, RT615, Federal ss595, Re001, A050(S), A050(M)
All lasted me 4 to 5 trackdays, guess im not pushing as hard.

stanch;622739 said:
Tyres i tried in PG:
A046, RT615, Federal ss595, Re001, A050(S), A050(M)
All lasted me 4 to 5 trackdays, guess im not pushing as hard.

What times were you running at what power level?

Car drivetrain layout, weight distribution, tire widths, set up, all make a difference. The worst possible combination for tire wear at this track, is a nose heavy, FWD, narrow tired car, since the front tires end up doing all the turning and accelerating, as well as virtually all the decelerating. If it's set up on the tight side, then under race pressure pushing the limit through feel, the temptation if to fall on the least risky fastest side of steer angle (higher slip angles with lower drop off in lateral force on the far side) = higher wear . To fall on the near side of the curve where drop in lateral is sharper for every degree missed, requires driver to have better memory, better precision and feel. To fall slightly on the near side consistently and not be slow is the challenge. Near side and slow is easy.

All drivers drive a blend of erring slightly short or long on target slip, only question is how far and how long and what % of the time or for which type of turn it's associated with. Descriptive, subjective, words don't really cut it which is why it comes down to measurement again which is back to data.

Vertical load also changes lateral force, so the brake and throttle inputs are another variable, and the line influences those inputs, yet the line picked is partially a result of how comfortable the driver is with the setup and what he believes he need to do to drive around problems or to the best time, so it's all one big interconnected mess.

The guys killing street tires in 5 laps are obviously in ploughing understeer. You might be able to get away with it at a track as smooth as SIC with more flowing corners, but with a track like PG... it bites.. that's what's good about it.. teaches some things that SIC can't.

Timing, to be very truly frank, I have never once taken my timing at PG. That is also Y I cant comment on the timing of the youtube evo9's timing.

Powerwise, I hv tracked my evo9 on PG from bone stock to now, quite modded. It is still considered "street legal" and recently passed inspection w/o need of visit to workshop. That should give a rough gauge of how much horses the engine is churning now.

PG is clockwise track, left front tyre takes most of the beating for steering and cornering. The RT615, and A050s were purely for track use. I rotate them everytime b4 track. The more worn ones to the rear. Guess that help in longevity.

I wish I'm technical enough to be able to digest all that is mentioned, but i must admit im not. I track to get the adrenalin and for the fun of it. Im really not so bothered by the timing Im able or not able to attain.

If im on shitty tyres like re001 and ss595 (street use), i dun push as hard at corners and just enjoy redlining while on the straight. These tyres cant hold at the corners, so why bother pushing and endanger urself?

Do understand that taking timing helps u improve, and gauge how ur mods have helped. Guess, its just that I track for the fun of it. Dun really bother so much on other things.

Oh just to add, to any1 has not tried tracking and want to try, do not be bothered by what car u drive or how fast u can be. Seen even chery QQ and picanto on track. Just have fun, get to know the car limits and keep within the limit, will do just fine.

Shaun;622762 said:
The guys killing street tires in 5 laps are obviously in ploughing understeer. You might be able to get away with it at a track as smooth as SIC with more flowing corners, but with a track like PG... it bites.. that's what's good about it.. teaches some things that SIC can't.

spot on for that.

that guy was mucking around his camber prior to that session. instead of dialing more, he set it less. end up he was understeering a lot.

stanch;622785 said:
PG is clockwise track, left front tyre takes most of the beating for steering and cornering. The RT615, and A050s were purely for track use. I rotate them everytime b4 track. The more worn ones to the rear. Guess that help in longevity.

make sense on the front left issue.

that same guy burn the front left tyre for that session.

stanch;622789 said:
Oh just to add, to any1 has not tried tracking and want to try, do not be bothered by what car u drive or how fast u can be. Seen even chery QQ and picanto on track. Just have fun, get to know the car limits and keep within the limit, will do just fine.

ya. had another guy bringing his stream onto the track. that was fun. :thumbsup:

stanch;622785 said:
These tyres cant hold at the corners, so why bother pushing and endanger urself?

But no one is endangering themselves by pushing a street tire. Only those who drive over the limit or who don't explore the limit progressively are endangering themselves. It is just as easy to endanger self on a slick or semi slick, as it is with a street tire. In fact it can be argued it is easier to get into trouble with racing tires that have a narrower operating window for best lateral.

Relative to real race slicks with coefficient of friction 2.5 - 3.0, aren't we all endangering ourselves by driving our semi slicks and wannabe slicks with the same coefficient in only the 1.0 - 2.0 range? Not at all mate.

==

Driving for fun can be be pleasurable, but some people call it driving aimlessly and say it's boring, stagnant. Driving while searching for efficiency and finding it, is rewarding, but others say it's an unhealthy obsession. To each his own I guess :D

Agree w ur statement of pushing limit progressively. Maybe "endanger urself" was overstated, It's because of the little run off pg has to offer and the state of cars i seen after they are hit the walls. Been down that road as well, would rather not benefit the body repar shop for that.

Race compound tyres definitely hold on corners much better and dun get chew up in huge chucks like those street tyres does.

Agree as well that searching for efficiency can be rewarding, but guess im not into that deep yet. Maybe in time to come.

Some would rather the take to longer b roads, others hit the highway. Yes, definitely to each his own.

Cool mate..actually soft race tires get chewed up quicker than hard street tires if both are driven wrong. See you at the track :)

Bottomline for me is to stay within limit, tracking can be fun and may not cost alot if u want to.

Bottom line for some is to push limits reasonably so that recovery from a superlimit situation is guaranteed - and in that process the real limit of the car is found, car control practiced, and fun is had at low cost as well.

But yes, there is always a risk of something happening and costing a lot, regardless. Oil all over the T1 brake zone = big trouble for any car arriving at normal end of straight speeds on just an average lap. And agree that given the option of other bigger tracks, PG carries more risk in superlimit situations.

David, from the Subaru Club, is organizing an open multi-marque trackday at PG soon, see below. The good news is that PG is being resurfaced
at last :D So at least from early 2012 onwards there'll be a fun track nearby with a a new and hopefully smooth surface to head to, in between Sepang jollies.

=====

We are back, the date are finalised. It will be on 28 of July. We will be providing food & drinks from the track fees collected.
Meanwhile, there's a good & bad news. Good News is, I managed to get a slot in PG last minute. And here's the combination of Good & Bad news, the circuit will be close from August onwards (estimated at least 6mths) until further notice for track resurfacing. So, we going to have a good tracks after that!

Ok. Back to business. Here’s the information you need to know
Date: 28 of Jul (Thursday)
Time: 0900hrs – 1300hrs
Track Fee: SGD$90 (Food & Drinks will be provided)
Slots available: 20-30 (Open to all models)

Track Fee Collection Date:
Date: 24 June (Friday)
Time: 2200hrs.
Contact Person: David ([email protected]) or 9766 6658

The RULES still STANDS FIRMED.
Participants, please take note, once you have committed, 2 IFs you need to take note:
1) IF you can't make it, you get your own replacement to fill up your slot.
2) IF last minute you can't make it on that day, due to work, illness.. etc. Sorry, no refund.

More updated details (meeting point, direction, convoy) will be provided when nearer to date. Please leave down your name & contact number, so that I can easily contact you later date. If you not convenient to reveal here, please pm, email or sms me your infor for registration.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitclub999com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back