Buying 2nd hand BMW

Hi guys,

i was thinking of buying a 2nd hand BMW (preferable 523 or 525 the previous model) but i am a little skeptical as i have heard may people having problems with their BMs after like the car is 4-5 yrs old. Is that true that BMs after 4-5 yrs will start giving problems?

also how is the maintenance fee of a 5 series like? eg. the amount need to do normal 10K km servicing (changing of engine oil, filter etc)?

thanks

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW

robintanlm;701104 said:
Hi guys,

i was thinking of buying a 2nd hand BMW (preferable 523 or 525 the previous model) but i am a little skeptical as i have heard may people having problems with their BMs after like the car is 4-5 yrs old. Is that true that BMs after 4-5 yrs will start giving problems?

also how is the maintenance fee of a 5 series like? eg. the amount need to do normal 10K km servicing (changing of engine oil, filter etc)?

thanks

For a fee, u can bring the car to BVO or Juzz For Cars for a check and they can advise u on maintenance matters.

robintanlm;701104 said:
Hi guys,

thanks
Heresay is no good. Try it out & report back. For BMW, if u have to go wif ur wallet, don't buy.

When i buy my 5+ yr old, i go wif my heart.

The people who say BMW after 3-4 years will have problems are not wrong...and mnay of these cars do really have many problems..from failed aircon to engine overheating to suspension wearing out etc etc....repair bills skyrocket and the initial savings in buying a "cheap" BMW becomes a nightmare and people blast BMW for being a cb car..

But many of these 3-4 year old cars were not loved by their previous owners and they never did much preventive maintenance. If the manual says change oil every 25000km, they do so at maybe 26-28k Km cos BMW mah, sure can tahan alittle longer. They drive their cars hard over any type of roads, cos BMW mah, suspension sure solid one...and anyway "I am selling it off before warranty ends so its ok..."

So, it a generalisation which is not without any truth but not for those who love their cars. Apart from the normal wear and tear items, I have not heard of any one with "old" BMWs complaining that they would rather burn away their cars..

My 2c worth...

I've owned anything from a swift to a bmw, including a couple of subarus, mitsubishis, a ford and an audi too.
Basically most cars are quite reliable today. Japs face severe wear and tear after 5 years too.

The only reason why i find contis a lil more for servicing is becos they accomodate more engine oil.
Parts do cost a lil bit more but u get quality parts for that.

Basically u pay for what u get.

I have not regretted going with this bmw yet :p

ok gd to hear positive feedbacks. ya its true and unlucky if we buy from a owner who do not take care of their cars.

btw BMs regardless of series have their servicing at every 25,000km? coz i am driving a jap car now so its 10,000km for me, still new to conti cars. also basic servicing for BMs like changing engine oil and filter etc (assume no other wear and tear parts to change), how much will be the servicing fee done by outside reliable BMs workshop?

Hi Robin,

Like you I'm contemplating getting either a 523i or a C-200. In term of space and dollar against comfort, I certainly think 523 is a much more worthy buy.

The maintenance part is also something that worries me. I just sold off my Evolution 9, all because I don't find the need to be spending that much for maintenance. For a Beemer, I'm much worried about the gearbox, however with friends who are also driving one, they had assure me that gearbox for E60 are much reliable than those of E46 (3-series).

However those in the market that I'm seeing now are all having close to or more than 100,000km done, so in terms of wear & tear, I do hope any veteran in this forum would be able to assist kindly on what are the main areas that we new buyers should be looking out for.

For the gearbox, i understand that the 2nd-3rd gear has to be smooth while we are test-driving the car. Need not to floor the accelerator, just go smoothly. If its jerky, then something is real wrong with that gearbox. If not, try to floor a bit of the accelerator to test out the higher gears like 5th - 6th. Again, see if you got any jerky respond from the car. Lastly from 5th or 6th gear, slow down your car to a speed where it goes down to 3rd - 2nd gear, from there see anymore jerky respond. Once these 3 stages are clear and you do not feel the jerky respond at all, it's much safer to say the gearbox has been well-maintained at least.

Just my 2 cents knowledge and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Prodigy69;701326 said:
However those in the market that I'm seeing now are all having close to or more than 100,000km done, so in terms of wear & tear, I do hope any veteran in this forum would be able to assist kindly on what are the main areas that we new buyers should be looking out for.

Heh.. Bro Prodigy69, pity you weren't in the market 2 years ago. My E65 (bought 2008, sold 2010), in 2 years, clocked less than 12,000km. In fact, none of my previous cars clocked anything more than 25,000km (that honour belonged to a W211 which I traded in after 4 years for the E65).

Take for example my present ride, the 2010/2011 F02. After 1 year, here is the mileage (GPGT):

F02mileage.jpg

I let the brothers in the forums know when I wanna let go next time, OK? hehehe.

U need to pump petrol liao

wobbles;701331 said:
Heh.. Bro Prodigy69, pity you weren't in the market 2 years ago. My E65 (bought 2008, sold 2010), in 2 years, clocked less than 12,000km. In fact, none of my previous cars clocked anything more than 25,000km (that honour belonged to a W211 which I traded in after 4 years for the E65).

Take for example my present ride, the 2010/2011 F02. After 1 year, here is the mileage (GPGT):

F02mileage.jpg

I let the brothers in the forums know when I wanna let go next time, OK? hehehe.

Hahaha. Bro Wobbles, your low mileage is scary. I don't drive my car on weekdays at all (not an OPC) but still I clocked on average 1000km per month. Hahaha.. Maybe the girlfriends that I chose are all living too far away from me, have to choose a nearer one in future. LOL

Actually high or low mileage only play a partial, if the previous owner do really take care of their car, slightly higher than 20,000km per year is also a good buy, provided the maintenance are done on time.

Hi Prodigy69

pardon me as i am quite new to BMs. E60 is it the previous model 523? a C200 pricing is comparable to a 523. tat makes me thinking of getting the 523 too instead of C200.

Any idea which yr BMs will be better? any difference between 07/08 and 09/10 5series? FYI, i am looking at the previous model 5 series. also will it be better to get 523 or 525 as i only know 525 has higher bhp and torque then 523. are there any other difference?

Even though how much luv the previous owner put in, most BMW past 100k km will need to change quite a number of parts. Once takeover, be prepare to spent 2k.

robintanlm;701345 said:
Hi Prodigy69

pardon me as i am quite new to BMs. E60 is it the previous model 523? a C200 pricing is comparable to a 523. tat makes me thinking of getting the 523 too instead of C200.

Any idea which yr BMs will be better? any difference between 07/08 and 09/10 5series? FYI, i am looking at the previous model 5 series. also will it be better to get 523 or 525 as i only know 525 has higher bhp and torque then 523. are there any other difference?

Yes, its E60, 2003-2010 model... 523 and 525 share the same engine, just that 523 is a detuned version. I dunno why BMW does that but perhaps someone in BMW backside itchy wanna play such games..but then after 2009 no more 523, only 525 and 4-pot 520. Oh and mid 2007 onwards was LCI model..better trimmings and newer lights etc etc with LED..engine and gear also different. June 07 onwards E60 gear is E-gear. High class one

Whether its better to get 523 or 525, in my opinion, no difference except increased bhp. Everything else same...exhaust smell burn liao both smell the same

Lots of E60 in the market now...how come prodigy69 says over 100k km? Many are under 100k km wat..

Sharing my 2 cts for those considering between the 5 and the C. I'm driving a '08 523 and wife used to have a '08 C180 (W204). We bought a MPV earlier this year and have to make a decision to sell away either the BMW or the Merc. We sold off the C180 eventually even though the car is newer by more than half a year with half the mileage of the BMW. Some of the things that make us let go of the Merc:

1. Size: the 5 is much bigger than the C. Seats 5 pax comfortably. The C is good if you don't have many passengers
2. Engine: BMW IL6 is real sweet and smooth. Both of us don't like the sound/noise of the supercharged Merc
3. Insulation: BMW's sound insulation is much better than the C. Try talking on the phone when it is raining heavily, you can't talk at all! When travelling on NSHW at higher speed, the road noise is really bad.
4. Stability and road holding: BMW rocks!
5. Image: 5>C
6. Steering: the Merc's steering is really too light...

Though the current C class is quite a good car in its category, it is difficult to compare it with the E60. No regrets for us in keeping the 5.

Our E60 has now crossed its 50,000km mark, and it is still serving us well, with regular maintenance of course. With current COE prices, looks like we've gotto keep it for a couple more years.

My 2 cts....

MW;701369 said:
Yes, its E60, 2003-2010 model... 523 and 525 share the same engine, just that 523 is a detuned version. I dunno why BMW does that but perhaps someone in BMW backside itchy wanna play such games..but then after 2009 no more 523, only 525 and 4-pot 520. Oh and mid 2007 onwards was LCI model..better trimmings and newer lights etc etc with LED..engine and gear also different. June 07 onwards E60 gear is E-gear. High class one

Whether its better to get 523 or 525, in my opinion, no difference except increased bhp. Everything else same...exhaust smell burn liao both smell the same

Lots of E60 in the market now...how come prodigy69 says over 100k km? Many are under 100k km wat..

Hi, thanks for answering to Robin on the E60 question.

maybe the ones I'm looking at are mostly in 05 - 06 models hence their mileage are pretty high. And again, it's the passing 100k mark that sets me back. Maybe some will see me as a cheapo but I do in bidding my time for the right deal.

Prodigy, get the LCI ones. The mileage are mostly under 80k km and the gearbox is better and not as problematic as the pre LCI one (as far as I was told). The E-gear on the LCI one is even used on the F10, F1/F2, and the X range

Prodigy69;701390 said:
Hi, thanks for answering to Robin on the E60 question.

maybe the ones I'm looking at are mostly in 05 - 06 models hence their mileage are pretty high. And again, it's the passing 100k mark that sets me back. Maybe some will see me as a cheapo but I do in bidding my time for the right deal.

Bro, that's SMART buying. Can't fault you for that - my classmate has a saying: "you can't get rich by being stupid", so good on you - take your time, choose the right car at the right price, and all the best of luck to you!

715;701388 said:
Sharing my 2 cts for those considering between the 5 and the C. I'm driving a '08 523 and wife used to have a '08 C180 (W204). We bought a MPV earlier this year and have to make a decision to sell away either the BMW or the Merc. We sold off the C180 eventually even though the car is newer by more than half a year with half the mileage of the BMW. Some of the things that make us let go of the Merc:

1. Size: the 5 is much bigger than the C. Seats 5 pax comfortably. The C is good if you don't have many passengers
2. Engine: BMW IL6 is real sweet and smooth. Both of us don't like the sound/noise of the supercharged Merc
3. Insulation: BMW's sound insulation is much better than the C. Try talking on the phone when it is raining heavily, you can't talk at all! When travelling on NSHW at higher speed, the road noise is really bad.
4. Stability and road holding: BMW rocks!
5. Image: 5>C
6. Steering: the Merc's steering is really too light...

Though the current C class is quite a good car in its category, it is difficult to compare it with the E60. No regrets for us in keeping the 5.

Our E60 has now crossed its 50,000km mark, and it is still serving us well, with regular maintenance of course. With current COE prices, looks like we've gotto keep it for a couple more years.

My 2 cts....

Thanks for your valuable experience sharing. But it seems to me, nothing in the C that's better than E60? C180 is well-known for its under-power and you are right, steering on the C is damn light, and not as spacious as E60 for sure. But interior wise, I don't think E60 can even come close to W204.

Above are just opinions from a novice, please do not flame me. Hehehehe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsportgroup
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back