Buying 2nd hand BMW

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW

wobbles;701392 said:
Bro, that's SMART buying. Can't fault you for that - my classmate has a saying: "you can't get rich by being stupid", so good on you - take your time, choose the right car at the right price, and all the best of luck to you!

Thank You bro Wobble :)

Hope to be able to join the Beemer club soon too. :)

MW;701391 said:
Prodigy, get the LCI ones. The mileage are mostly under 80k km and the gearbox is better and not as problematic as the pre LCI one (as far as I was told). The E-gear on the LCI one is even used on the F10, F1/F2, and the X range

hi bro MW, are you referring to those manufactured from 07 onwards with the gear nob like the one shown here?

Prodigy69;701397 said:
hi bro MW, are you referring to those manufactured from 07 onwards with the gear nob like the one shown here?

yes, from June 07 onwards..

ooo my eyes..the wood...

This my friend is a better pic..

MW;701398 said:
yes, from June 07 onwards..

ooo my eyes..the wood...

Pardon my ignorance and based on your expertise again, what are the main difference? Is it higher to get faulty gearbox with those from 03 - 07 ones than the LCI ones? Please Advise.

Prodigy69;701393 said:
Thanks for your valuable experience sharing. But it seems to me, nothing in the C that's better than E60? C180 is well-known for its under-power and you are right, steering on the C is damn light, and not as spacious as E60 for sure. But interior wise, I don't think E60 can even come close to W204.

Above are just opinions from a novice, please do not flame me. Hehehehe

After spending 2.5 yrs with the C180, we still thinks the 523 wins hands down. The C is a good car, just that IMHO, if one has to choose, the C has to go. Interior wise, I don't think the Merc is better, or maybe it's just me.

Prodigy69;701397 said:

Or you can change the gearshift to this:

07052009010.jpg

The F10's with SAT option have a similar gearshift.

Prodigy69;701399 said:
Pardon my ignorance and based on your expertise again, what are the main difference? Is it higher to get faulty gearbox with those from 03 - 07 ones than the LCI ones? Please Advise.

Ok I am not a tech expert and I only know thru hearsay and of cos from feedback of those who drive the two variants...

The old gear moved the switches in the trans mechatronics, the new e gear has the electronic switches in the base and send the the signals down to the mechatronics.

I believe the difference is that because the old gear directly changes mechanically, the wear and tear rate is higher than the electronic one which merely send signals to the mechanical parts.

And of cos I also know many of them use the Sport and Manual modes alot, thus contributing to its wear and tear.

All these are hearsay hor....u have to ask the techies here for solid info.

715;701404 said:
Or you can change the gearshift to this:

07052009010.jpg

The F10's with SAT option have a similar gearshift.

This gear nob certainly makes me drools.....:drool:

Regret didn't took over my sister's 520 of '08 when she sold it last year. :(

hi 715

thanks for sharing. i have the same sentiment thats y still hesitating till now. but after reading thru i still my heart will go with E60. oh btw '08/09 520i is it under power? and also can share whats the fuel consumption like for ur E60 523 and how much u spend on normal servicing every 25,000km (no major wear and tear chnages, just engine oild, filter)?

can expert here share whats the fair price if i were to buy a 08 or 09 E60 523?

thanks

robintanlm;701417 said:
hi 715

thanks for sharing. i have the same sentiment thats y still hesitating till now. but after reading thru i still my heart will go with E60. oh btw '08/09 520i is it under power? and also can share whats the fuel consumption like for ur E60 523 and how much u spend on normal servicing every 25,000km (no major wear and tear chnages, just engine oild, filter)?

thanks
Please don't buy E60 LCI 520. That's 4 pot. For 5 series, nothing less than 6 pot.

If 1 2 buy BMW, forget about FC.

If FC is main concern, buy lexus.

For those of us who luv our ride, we do oil change every 10k. In fact, i change mine every 8k due to city drive.

davidtch;701438 said:
Please don't buy E60 LCI 520. That's 4 pot. For 5 series, nothing less than 6 pot.

If 1 2 buy BMW, forget about FC.

If FC is main concern, buy lexus.

For those of us who luv our ride, we do oil change every 10k. In fact, i change mine every 8k due to city drive.

oh then wats the fuel consumption? can share?

robintanlm;701417 said:
hi 715

thanks

I don't know whether the 520 is underpowered but it is 4 cylinders. If budget allows, go for the IL6. My FC is about 7-8km/l, mostly city driving. Regular servicing like change engine oil etc should be about $300, I do it every 10,000km. No major repair after 3.5yrs. Have changed brake pads+rotors($1k), ATF(about $700, can't remember) so far. Spent more on mods though...
Dealers should be taking in 08 523 at about 110k +/- if I'm not wrong.

Like what some members posted, you must have passion to buy a used car, be prepared to spend some $$$ on parts replacement etc after taking over the car.

robintanlm;701440 said:
oh then wats the fuel consumption? can share?

From my experience with my sis previous 520i 08, it's 7 - 8.5km/L

And to reiterate, if FC is a concern to you, you shouldn't be even considering these luxury/comfortable Sedans. Probably Lexus might saves you that little bit of FC for every full tank, based on what my buddy who drives a RX300 says.

robintanlm;701257 said:
the fee is to check if the cars got problem or the maintenance fee?

to check the car...provided the dealer/owner allows you to do so...if not, walk away.

STA, Vicom all those inspections are insufficient :eek:

Hey Prodigy 69,

Did you end up buying either the BM or Merc? I'm in the same boat as you. Hard to decide leh.

The C200 (W204) should not be compared to the 523 (E60). A closer comparisan should be the 5 series vs the E class ... There is no way that the C class is better than the 5 series but the question is whether the 3 series is better than the C Class. I switched from 320i to C180K and IMO, the BMW is a driver's car .... the Merc is more towards comfort. My friend is driving the 323i and the engine is much smoother than the 320i. The IL-6 and the 2 more cylinders make a difference to the car.

If budget allows, I would say go for the IL-6 - 523i. My neighbour is driving the LCI E60 523i and he is still driving his car after 4 years. He was tempted to change to the last few unit of the F10 523i but he still prefer the look of the E60. He told me he will drive the car till something major comes along ... then he will consider to change the car. He absolutely loves his E60 ...

I still missed my 320i today and one of the reason of me switching to the Merc is my concern about the high cost to maintain the car after 3 years. And as a matter of fact, from my experience, the servicing in PML is lower than that of C&C.

poolfan;705097 said:
My neighbour is driving the LCI E60 523i and he is still driving his car after 4 years. He was tempted to change to the last few unit of the F10 523i but he still prefer the look of the E60. He told me he will drive the car till something major comes along ... then he will consider to change the car. He absolutely loves his E60 ...

Your neighbour can be my good friend!

poolfan;705097 said:
The C200 (W204) should not be compared to the 523 (E60). A closer comparisan should be the 5 series vs the E class ... There is no way that the C class is better than the 5 series but the question is whether the 3 series is better than the C Class. I switched from 320i to C180K and IMO, the BMW is a driver's car .... the Merc is more towards comfort. My friend is driving the 323i and the engine is much smoother than the 320i. The IL-6 and the 2 more cylinders make a difference to the car.

I totally agree.

If you have a chance to drive both cars of equivalent type (C/3, E/5 etc.), you'll realize that BMWs are made for drivers. The driver really feels the car and it's amazing BUT the passengers don't get as good a ride. The Mercs on the other hand cater for overall comfort. They don't drive as well as the BMW but everyone in the car gets a nice ride.

(Oh, I think the BMWs look nicer too!)

My 2c.

poolfan;705097 said:

If budget allows, I would say go for the IL-6 - 523i. My neighbour is driving the LCI E60 523i and he is still driving his car after 4 years. He was tempted to change to the last few unit of the F10 523i but he still prefer the look of the E60. He told me he will drive the car till something major comes along ... then he will consider to change the car. He absolutely loves his E60 ...

I still missed my 320i today and one of the reason of me switching to the Merc is my concern about the high cost to maintain the car after 3 years. And as a matter of fact, from my experience, the servicing in PML is lower than that of C&C.

Agree! We changed from our E46 to the W204 few years ago. On NSHW at 160-180kph, the E46 is still a better drive. I used to drive up KL for day trips alone in the E46, and I've enjoyed every trip. Comfort wise Merc is definitely better. So it really depends on what you're looking for.

Me and MW wanna be good friends with your neighbour!

if only bmw can have merc spaciousness then it will be perfect. still sore over e250's spaciousness as compared to my f10 now :silenced:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fb88bio
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back