Car "coughs" during morning cold start

Ahbengdriver

Legendary 10 Years
MY 335i recently experienced this during the initial 10 to 15 seconds when firing up each morning. Especially noticeable if it rains and gets cold the night before or in the morning.

The engine initially doesnt fires up with a nice "Vroom" as you will expect, but it is "koo kuuk kook kup kup". After the engine is properly warmed up after say 15 secopnds, the problem goes away.

No error codes. Is this sign of something bad on its way?

Re: Car "coughs" during morning cold start

My hpfp issue (in its early stage) surfaced like what you mentioned. Soon you will get the code once the prob gets more obvious. F series car idrive get Drivetrain Error faults.

don't think its battery as the battery is less than a year old

Ahbengdriver;1101159 said:

My bro is driving a E90. He is experiencing exactly what you have described. Also dont know what's the solution. So wait till some indication comes up.....

My E92 330i also does this sometimes. I don't consider it an issue since nothing comes up and the car idles fine after a few seconds. I believe it might not be getting enough air. This was especially noticeable after I cleaned out my K&N Filter and reapplied a new coat of oil.

anthoj;1101302 said:
My E92 330i also does this sometimes. I don't consider it an issue since nothing comes up and the car idles fine after a few seconds. I believe it might not be getting enough air. This was especially noticeable after I cleaned out my K&N Filter and reapplied a new coat of oil.

Yes exactly the same phenomena.
My bro and I are driving E90. In fact he just serviced last week monday and experienced this issue for the first time yesterday.
For now got to wait and see......till then enjoy the ride....

my problem is on the E92 335 but yeah I will watch and see how it goes. thx vm.

Ahbengdriver;1101159 said:

Check lah .....

Mine stopped caughing aready ....

Red_Bean_Bun;1101375 said:
Check lah .....

Mine stopped caughing aready ....

I'm quite positive it's not the battery. Why would the car "cough"? It doesn't rely on the battery to run, that's just to power the starter. And the alternator won't cause that either, if your alternator is faulty then the engine would have a rough idle and not a "coughing" idle. "Coughing" idle I think is most likely related to airflow, spark plugs, or fuel/fuel pump." In this case, most likely just air.

I have this issue where it happens on cold start the engine will be like choking got to rev to 2k rpm hold it But once warm up will be fine. was found out that my O2 sensor was faulty. So need to clear fault. After which it became fine.

Maybe because battery guard kicked in .....

Just get a set of tools and check for violations for a start...

Then go for those exotic expensive sensors and then change to your wallet's content ...

anthoj;1101443 said:
I'm quite positive it's not the battery. Why would the car "cough"? It doesn't rely on the battery to run, that's just to power the starter. And the alternator won't cause that either, if your alternator is faulty then the engine would have a rough idle and not a "coughing" idle. "Coughing" idle I think is most likely related to airflow, spark plugs, or fuel/fuel pump." In this case, most likely just air.

Just an update. The "coughing" remains and the degree of vibration has worsen a little bit more....vibrations can be felt on the steering and on the seats. if left alone, usually takes like 30 seconds to normalise, but if I rev the engine a bit, it seems that the "coughing" only lasts about 20 seconds.

Strange...dunno see mee tai chee:wtf:

Still not settled ?

Still suspect spark plugs or coils...

LPFP got tai chee is it ?

Try this in the morning -

On ignition then off ignition 3 times.

See if the LPFP can prime some pressure for the HPFP to suck petrol .....

Ahbengdriver;1104027 said:
Just an update. The "coughing" remains and the degree of vibration has worsen a little bit more....vibrations can be felt on the steering and on the seats. if left alone, usually takes like 30 seconds to normalise, but if I rev the engine a bit, it seems that the "coughing" only lasts about 20 seconds.

Ahbengdriver;1104027 said:

Bro, me encounter same prob. if your plugs and ignition system no problem it will be your engine head gasket which i kana. when you cold start see whether any white smoke out from exhaust not. better to check and solve it if not will incur more problems. this is my experience. good luck.

As advised by one brudder, the HPFP was changed. Problem solved.

That's what I call a real hiadee.:cool:

Ahbengdriver;1104921 said:
As advised by one brudder, the HPFP was changed. Problem solved.

That's what I call a real hiadee.:cool:

Sorry bro, what is HPFP? Where you change and what's the damage?

My 320i has the same coughing when starting up, went to see singseh change battery, change spark plugs and ignition coils, still coughing. Thanks in advance for your sharing;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delifruitvietnam

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back