• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Car Mileage

Shadowlord

is there a way to tell if the mileage have been tampered with? I saw a used BMW in the market and suspect that the mileage have been tampered with, is there a quick way to tell the original mileage? :mad:

Re: Car Mileage

do a check with PML if it's PML car,best way not to be screwed.
If it's a PI or Import car, check with the workshop that the owner frequent with.

is it the 5 years old car with 41k mileage in turf city? ;)

Dealers are pretty good. Magically their faces go in expressions of horror and they say "Nooooooo! How is that even possible to do??????" when we ask if the mileage has been adjusted before. Hahaha

simple..ask for every servicing proof loh..if 1 or 2 missing, benefit of doubt..dun buy lo..there's always better deal out therez de..

Shadowlord;623725 said:
is there a way to tell if the mileage have been tampered with? I saw a used BMW in the market and suspect that the mileage have been tampered with, is there a quick way to tell the original mileage? :mad:

Of course the easiest way to check the PML records to make sure
last service mileage. But the only sure proof way is to send the car physically
to PML for a check. The reading on the mileage display on the dashboard
can be tempered but the master meter somewhere in the gearbox cannot .
This is from a bad experience of friend. He brought a ride with a
55kk mileage but when send in to PML, he was told the last servicing was
done at 80kk and that's when the techician told him there's a master meter
somewhere in the gearbox that cant be temper.

murphys33;624094 said:
this amounts to fraud if the meter was tempered with and sold without full disclosure!

Shockingly, the sales agreement for my ride expressly states that the seller does NOT guarantee that the odometer is correct!

valjean;624169 said:
Shockingly, the sales agreement for my ride expressly states that the seller does NOT guarantee that the odometer is correct!

apparently this clause is in quite a number of cars sold by dealers recently, or so i heard

IN practice how do you do that? No dealer would let you bring their car to PML or workshop for digging the history unless you place a deposit - has anyone actually done that before? And would PML or the workshop entertain you?

I tried PML they wont entertain me unless i am the owner of the car.

The best way is to send the car back to the agent. I do believe the agent should have the service records during the warranty period of the car probably up to 100,000km? I was told that the dealer could lose their license if they are found guilty of tampering with the odo

Btw, whats the typical consumption of a 320i? When consumption is higher than norm, does it indicate problem at engine?

pcwpoon;625355 said:
The best way is to send the car back to the agent. I do believe the agent should have the service records during the warranty period of the car probably up to 100,000km? I was told that the dealer could lose their license if they are found guilty of tampering with the odo

Some of the local dealers are known for tampering mileage. if you do a simple market research for such dealers, you will noticed all their cars are low mileage. Where on earth to buy so many low mileage cars!

As for me, i will check on the seat belts..A high mileage car's seat belts will show you wear & tear. Most of these guys do not bother to replace the belt as what i know..

For all high mileage car, they will simply rewarp the steering wheel, change the foot mats, or even to the extent replacing brake and throttle rubber pad..End of the day, they "magic"the mileage to a sometimes unbelievable low low km..

Can you still recall the last time when you push your car to the dealer. They will peep at your odometer and asked you " Boss, when was the last service you have done in the agent" If you say "No" They will begin to have "evil devils" mind floating around them...Lets buy in low since the mileage is so high......

I have owned more than 15 cars since 1989 til now and i know their tricks in side out

Cheers

A few dealer I met told me they were better than other dealer and their price were based on the good condition of the car. How do we know were they speaking the truth? They said they have parts replaced...etc therefore their car price may be high but it's quality that they're selling...

Best way is to caveat the mileage in teh agreement. If the true mileage is more than X% of what has been stated in the Odo, REFUND.

I was told by someone, these days, it isn't so difficult to check. Once they workshop with the right equipment have your key fob, they can check. they don't even need your car, apparently.

All will proclaimed that their cars are tip-top condition. Well, repair receipts prove will be the best evidence, other than that is all sales & sweet talk..

End of the day, they are only concerning on their P&L...

Remember, too cheap price dont comes good and there is also a ugly story behind..Is up to you to find out later..

Recalled back few mths ago, flood was almost presented in most low land area..A friend of mine was so happy that he bought a conti car and the price is so much cheaper than market rate..He approached the dealer and the dealer told him that owner is leaving town, needs hard cash and dont mind to sell cheap..

He kanna "check mate" and bought the car..Today, the whole car is suffering lots of electronic faults even the agent also given up..He got to know later, when the agent's mechanic lifted up the car's carpet and noticed all the corner of the floor board are rusted. It is concluded that this car was submerged in a flood before..The agent proposed to change the whole car wire harness includes all electronic sensors which amounted to S$15K..He almost fainted when he heard this news !!!

Today, he is trying to sell this car away and i cant review the makes and model just to protect his interest..

Good Luck

Since quite a few people shared about this topic, i will shared what happened to this case. Some of you may know who i am but i guest the important thing is that PML and some car workshop owners out there still give me some face when i asked them about this car and gave me the information i needed. The seller did adjust the odo by at least 60k KM down. I guest if the seller was honest about the mileage and is able to accept the offer that commensurate with it, i would have bought the ride. Not going out to take or eat your lunch but knowing the "real" mileage can help me assertain what liability i need to factor in for maintaining the car. It is a pity, i really like the car.

My ride's 6 years and going and mileage is only 33k. HAHAH I'm the first owner somemore... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back