• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Car Sales... There once was a time...

Re: Car Sales... There once was a time...

All these sounds to me like playing Banker or Player......

:nehnehhh:

Problem is there are loads of lowballers n the forum.

If your reserve price is $100k, u've got to list it as $110k for lowballers to bargain down and feel shiok....and they still don't buy or pull out last minute.

Just yesterday I received a PM asking for a huge discount " due to 7 month ghost festival" !! Really funny right...lowballs always find a good reason to lowball.
I'm sure kenn had his fair share of lowballers too despite his reasonable price.

For myself, I bought a used PI car but paid more than what a similar PML car cost simply because I liked the mods done and I trust that a fellow forum member here would take better care of his car than the average sgcm seller.

Last point the OP has to consider is that dealer trade in values for used 2009 cars may actually be even higher than what owners paid originally. In a low supply high demand environment then market forces dictate the transaction price.

Last edited by a moderator:

if u're talking abt the coes, yes the supply aren't as many... but if u're talking abt the staple 320s etc, there are tonnes... it wasn't so long ago where i was embroiled in another thread on the assessment of prices, where i pointed out that using sgcarmart prices as a reference is just seeing the sellers' expectations and prices, Not buyers'... thus it cannot be a true reflection of where prices should be. my assessment was abt 5k lesser than others, yet i was made to look like some 'disgruntled aspiring bmw320' buyer... sheesh, it tells me that the idea of 'lowball' is very subjective.

in the motoring world where bmws and mercs are concerned, u dun get to criticise and accuse pple over 5-10k as a lowball price, definitely not. a lexus that rolled out at 175k, will be traded in back to borneo motors at around 115k after 1yr, a maserati that rolls out drops a good 80k after 6mths...and so forth. i'm refering to the term 'low-ball'.

pple also seem to conveniently forget tat new cars come with warranty and other goodies, doesn't require transfer fees nor higher interest rates either.

i guess it's back to perception.

MW;674035 said:
Sometimes if you are free, you should just surf sgcarmart for fun. Just scroll through some car dealers' cars which are obviously "highballing" and then you see the description to justify the "high" price…"Full options, very rare and lady driver used only for going shopping and spa only" and its a toyota vios and you realise the "full options" are leather seats and 15" rims. Simi lan

I do know of ONE forummer who actually "lowballed" his own car sale and most of the replies were farking him for that. I wun mention names but its Kenntona's 335

not to mention there is one current sgcarmart lambo advert claims......'well known owner'.....
do a search...v funny.

totoseow;675571 said:
not to mention there is one current sgcarmart lambo advert claims......'well known owner'.....
do a search...v funny.

Well known for good or bad?

I sell my E36 coupe openly at $34,000 with the April 2019 $3162 COE. I never sell high, is just a trigger point for me to let go.
Eventually was sold for $33,000. The guy from forum love the car. Text me "the car smooth like a lubricated ass"
Hence i think is all about buyer & seller agreed price. Both happy!

But again got sgcarmart seller sell $50,000 for 4Dr E36 with same COE as mine !!!

If seller sell 30K higher and buyer still buy, then later found out knn Teo con, who's fault?
I know got pple in forum sell M5 price for a 523i, I will never tell u MW actually did that, he is my best gay brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

With the current volatile COE prices, most resale cars are actually priced according to 1st hand market minus depreciation, and not according to the original purchased price of the car minus depreciation.

Sellers who are changing rides consider replacement cost as part of the equation before deciding on the selling price of the old cars. A similar brand new model now cost $40k - $70k compared to a year ago when the old car was bought. Sellers are reluctant to bear the high replacement cost, on top of the sharpest depreciation of selling after the 1st few years when changing to a new ride.

Even when sellers sell their cars to 2nd hand car dealers, these dealers will likely markup the selling price of these 2nd hand cars to prevailing COE prices.

In the 1st hand market, ADs mark up disproportionately more than the COE hike to make up for the volume loss to maintain overall profitability. With such insane prices, potential buyers will consider going for the 2nd hand market for 1 or 2 yr old current models that can look like brand new if well maintained. A 2yr old 335 with $20k COE selling at $200k is more attractive than a brand new 335 with $70k COE priced at $300k. The issue here is whether u secure ownership of the car or not, not how much the COE is worth as quota continues to shrink. Buyer will still buy, even when seller priced it closed to his original purchased price.

But at the end of the day, its just market forces, supply and demand will determine prices. Nevertheless as a forum member, i will support friendship pricing, at a little higher than dealer quote.

jaymzjr,

i cannot help but think you are feeling this way ONLY because you're in the market to buy a used 320i.

I wonder the situation was reversed and you were trying to sell your 320i, would you be selling it at a low friendship price to fellow forumers ?

If yes, then pls let me be your friend and i'll buy whatever car you happen to be selling.

Unfortunately even between friends, nobody really sells at 20-30% below market price.

Depends on who your frens are :):) (not that I hv such frens though)

ClemZ;676969 said:
jaymzjr,

i cannot help but think you are feeling this way ONLY because you're in the market to buy a used 320i.

I wonder the situation was reversed and you were trying to sell your 320i, would you be selling it at a low friendship price to fellow forumers ?

If yes, then pls let me be your friend and i'll buy whatever car you happen to be selling.

Unfortunately even between friends, nobody really sells at 20-30% below market price.

Hi ClemZ,

20-30%? did i say that? pls refresh if i did... pai sei if i did cos i dun rem saying that to be honest... the car has to be priced below 50k in order for this percentage to be used even.

no, i'm not in the mkt for a 320i, wonder why a few of u think that?! i'm currently holding on to a 997 C2S, Audi for some turbo fun, and an MPV for the Family.

If the situation is reversed i think i'll sell at dealer's price, not even above it.... might as well benefit direct buyers and forummers. the 'frenly price' is in giving 1st Option to forummers at the eventual price u Have To let it go at... and not keep trying until u LL sell to dealer.

i'm thinking of changing to a Targa 4S or the 991 which is taking orders at Stuttgart liao... so i can actually consider selling my 997 to u. the car's mkt price is 300-320k, i can take the lower of the price range which is more reasonable and sell u at 270k if u're keen. it is non-PI, original Stuttgart car reg in early 2007. several factory options in the car + techart front bumper, sports exhaust, which i will Not factor into my selling price.

in the bigger scheme of things,

it is better to buy low, sell low... than to sell high, buy high. just think of the monies we can save on interests over 3-4 decades... as owners we will benefit.

whilst i understand some pple want to buy low sell high... which is totally Alright, but my main angst is the use of the Forum as the platform.

we have other platforms for such things... properties, commodities, stocks, gold... there are platforms to make money... Forum should not be such a platform.

my problem is with individuals who Try to pull a fast one within a 'safe' forum environment.

come to think of it... i'm actually abit sad and perturbed.

sorry for the 3rd post, was kinda busy trading earlier... this post will be unrelated to the topic, but let's call it a spin-off after-thought.

thing is, why would anyone think that i'm a disgruntled buyer-tryer? it's not so much the personal aspect of it, but what perturbs me is the immediate perception that can sometimes be stereotypical of pple who drive certain breeds of cars. atas-dom?

i guess maybe we can call it effective marketing? where if u drive certain breeds of cars or marques, u sorta 'made it'. but this seems to very much go against the very basis of motoring forums...

when we first started motoring forums over a decade ago, whether u be an existing owner, aspiring owner, or a 15yr-old secondary school kid hoping to one day own a bmw... it doesn't matter and u ARE a forummer and u are treated pretty much like one of the guys. or gals. i rem this 2 kids who dun even possess driving licences, but are active and were invited to join us at gatherings and they did... i shall not name the forum but there weren't that many back then. that's forum spirit for u.

so i guess i'm more like, "what happened?" when i saw ridiculous prices being advertised. or perhaps i'm feeling abit melancholy when i posted. but if u noticed the original time of my post, it was immediately after a rather ridiculously priced car, which sorta gave me the impulse to finally write something which i have noticed for Months, other forums included.

and so ends my stint i guess. sorry to ruffle feathers. maybe there will be a Beemer in future which i would love to own and drive, and perhaps to lend me more credibility when i post.

but for now, i have no hidden aspiring-2ndhand-ownership agenda.

cheers.

Good points brought up.

However with laissez-faire ideals in action, one would need a willing seller and a willing buyer for a transaction to be completed, however low or high the price is.

My question is, many people agree with you, but would these same people post and sell their cars at nice low prices (meaning they do not seize opportunity and profit from the current market sentiment). If they do, it means they run the risk of buying another car at sky high prices since other people may not reciprocate and sell them at low prices.

So who's right or who's wrong? Or is the seller in the first place just selling higher since he's reacting to a market that's selling high at the moment as well.

No biasedness or side-taking I am on here, just thought this is an interesting subject brought up.

8)

think it's fine trying to sell high, posting on sgcarmart, classifieds and all... like what most feel, u need to willing parties for the deal. the high prices on those ads, very much an open platform. it's those within the sanctity of the forum that i was kinda worried abt... u know, it's like a Home to some whereby u feel kinda 'safe' within the community, cos it is a community... maybe it's just me being naive... it just feels weird if your sibling tries to sell u his/her car at 70k when the best he/she got from a dealer is like 60k...

ya agree on the part where u sell low and may have to buy high, i guess that requires us to put the onus on ourselves to makethe right decision to buy first, or sell first, or simply hold back. if wanna sell high, try sgcarmart or classifieds, Not forum... or maybe a 'brudder' price on the forum where u know the next owner appreciates and is an enthusiast. tat 3-4k isn't that much, but if it is, then try elsewhere.

on another note, i always encourage pple to overlap their cars... means u buy whilst holding on to current car duuring the low periods... and in high periods, u can sell and not try to immediately buy. if possible, own 2 cars for flexibility. from my experience thus far, u gain more in the buy/sell segment if u have an extra car. i bought a merc at abt 7k abv dealer price from a direct owner, drove for 2yrs and sold it to a dealer at 3k loss... making it cheaper to drive than a picanto. u can imagine if the guy i bought from, had abit more holding power, i'm sure he wouldn't mind paying another 3k to hold the car for w more yrs. this just to depict an option that worked for me. your market entry Must be right, the entry is always more impt than the exit, cos cars lose value over time.

anyway time to Zzzz.....

jaymzjr;677193 said:
Hi ClemZ,

20-30%? did i say that? pls refresh if i did... pai sei if i did cos i dun rem saying that to be honest... the car has to be priced below 50k in order for this percentage to be used even.

no, i'm not in the mkt for a 320i, wonder why a few of u think that?! i'm currently holding on to a 997 C2S, Audi for some turbo fun, and an MPV for the Family.

If the situation is reversed i think i'll sell at dealer's price, not even above it.... might as well benefit direct buyers and forummers. the 'frenly price' is in giving 1st Option to forummers at the eventual price u Have To let it go at... and not keep trying until u LL sell to dealer.

i'm thinking of changing to a Targa 4S or the 991 which is taking orders at Stuttgart liao... so i can actually consider selling my 997 to u. the car's mkt price is 300-320k, i can take the lower of the price range which is more reasonable and sell u at 270k if u're keen. it is non-PI, original Stuttgart car reg in early 2007. several factory options in the car + techart front bumper, sports exhaust, which i will Not factor into my selling price.

Hi,

When u intend to sell ur Audi or MPV away, do let me know ur forum selling price. As for the 991, I will skip on that coz I'm not a big fan of Porsche. Sorry, dunno how to appreciate the beauty of it.

(¥_¥)

Labit;677690 said:
Hi,

When u intend to sell ur Audi or MPV away, do let me know ur forum selling price. As for the 991, I will skip on that coz I'm not a big fan of Porsche. Sorry, dunno how to appreciate the beauty of it.

(¥_¥)

unlikely to be letting go of the audi, planning a respray and refurbishment prior christmas... the drive is really exhilerating so it'll definitely stay in the stable. the mpv is a workhorse, am likely to pass it to my father-in law if i can negotiate on a replacement. my audi will go to vagsg fellas first when i wanna sell it.

mine's a 997. 991 still taking orders... i'm a fan of a very good drive, brand doesn't matter so i dun like to dispel brands. which one did u try n not like?

just wondering if u're just posting in jest? cos somehow i do feel abit of hostility or challenge.

Labit;677690 said:
Hi,

(¥_¥)

jaymzjr;677696 said:
unlikely to be letting go of the audi, planning a respray and refurbishment prior christmas... the drive is really exhilerating so it'll definitely stay in the stable. the mpv is a workhorse, am likely to pass it to my father-in law if i can negotiate on a replacement. my audi will go to vagsg fellas first when i wanna sell it.

mine's a 997. 991 still taking orders... i'm a fan of a very good drive, brand doesn't matter so i dun like to dispel brands. which one did u try n not like?

just wondering if u're just posting in jest? cos somehow i do feel abit of hostility or challenge.

i think labit's pt is fair, esp. based on why you started this thread. it would be interesting to see how you price your cars when you are selling in the forum. you got 997, 991 and all the works and here you are lamenting about highballers? are you one of those who drive big cars but dun like to put coupons?

got "balls" to start a thread like this, then dun brand someone "hostile" or "challenging".

maybe time to stay off the forum again until you feel "ballsy" to come back in again.

this is rather surprising, i stated quite a few times the basis of my starting of the thread... there's really no agenda to it, nor am i criticising anyone. my issue was with pple taking advantage of the forum platform for less than frenly sales.

for this, i have someone who feels that i am an aspiring buyer with agenda. i tried dispelling this misconception by revealing abit on my car ownership to show i'm not 'aspiring'.

and with that info, i'm kinda thrown the gauntlet to prove myself IN THE FUTURE with forum prices for my future sales.

it's kinda sad to know that by airing my views, i can be suspected of hidden motivations, other than the very reasons i have shared. is it really so difficult to share something in a forum. I wanted to set out a frenly warning for unsuspecting buyers who dun do their homework sufficiently too...

now i'm a person who drive big cars but dun put coupons. it's kinda surprising for me to be labelled this and that, but not accepted simply as another motoring enthusiast. honestly from the way u & labit posted, it shows that u are not really bothered to find out more but simply trying to put me down. that's cos the 991 is the new model tat's not even here yet, but labit wants to skip on MY 991 cos he is not a big fan of porsches, and u say i have 997, 991...

"you got 997, 991 and all the works and here you are lamenting about highballers?"

- this statement does reveal a few things to me... in terms of where u stand on the issue, and how u feel abt certain placements in life. i dun really wish to start a throw of accusations cos tat's how things sour in forums.

i really wish u hadn't made comments abt me needing balls... i dun think i branded labit at all, i was asking if he was posting in jest, becos some parts of it felt kinda wrong... particularly when he is asking me on my future forum prices for my mpv n audi. This is after i have made an earlier offer to sell my other car at 30k off the cheapest priced one in the market... i STILL have to 'prove myself' by stating the future forum selling prices of my other 2 cars. Surely, if i can sell 1 car at 30k below the mkt, then it's not really logical for me to be trying to claw 5-10k off my other cars... it just doesn't make sense.

i have apologised for ruffling feathers with my post, and i sincerely did so, i will apologise again if needed. tho i have been treated in a condescending manner, i have not been reactivly abrasive with my replies.

seems i'm being shown the door here for speaking against 'highballers?'

just saying this, it just doesn't sound right. makes me feel like in order to hang around in this forum, i have to endorse highballing, and if i drive a higher-priced car - i Should Not voice out against highballers?

i dun believe this represents the majority view in this forum, kinda warped. so i think i should genuinely tell u that your thinking is wrong, and goes against the basis of good order.

I agree with jaymzjr's point as stated, I always prefer my ex- ride go to somebody who appreciates it for what it is. This is usually somebody who joins the forum to learn or look for his next ride. Ideally if price is too high, other forumners should not be shy to point this out although in our society many are too anxious not to offend. This has the effect of educating potential buyers and maybe shaming the sellers. Hence some of the hostile comments may reflect that.
Speaking of which I feel that hostile and rude comments are not appropriate in a discussion which appears to me to be very much started as a philosophical discourse. One can certainly disagree but personal tirades are uncalled for. Gentlemen we should disagree as gentlemen.

Labit;677690 said:
Hi,

(¥_¥)

Morning Jay,

Now you know why I'm not a Porsche fan? Simple model between a 991 & 997, I can even simply screwed it up.

Allow me to rephrase it, as long it's a Porsche, I will not appreciate it.

I'm catching my morning flight at 0600hrs, I will see if I can reply some of the comments you have highlighted.

Pardon me for my broken vocab & english.

Btw, I'm not a hostile person as what you have stated. I just posted some thoughts which I picked up while reading through your posting.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwinyoga

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back