Case of My E90 (320i) Disappearing Oil - 1 liter every 2000++km!!

lkm

It used to be 1ltr of oil top up every 6000km. Then it came down to 5000km. Then 4000km. Then 3000km. Now it's 1ltr of engine oil top up required every 2xxx km!!! Buay tahan! Plus with current COE prices, cannot buy new car leh! Sianz!

Workshop recommended engine valve seals change. Parts are cheap - I think less than $2 per seal (there are total of 16qty for the 320i). But labour is the expensive deal - paid about SGD400 in all for the seals change. But at least for now, car feels better to drive with, and the oil drinking has so far stopped.... Will report again at the next oil change interval. So my E90's no more thirsty now!

Re: Case of My E90 (320i) Disappearing Oil - 1 liter every 2000++km!!

Bro IKM, same same here. Mine running 5k km with zero top up after replaced the 16 pcs of valve seals. Engine oil remain full even after long drive now. Used to top up 1L every 2k KM.

Should able to last my 7.5k KM OCI without top up. Steady Bon bee bee!
But the habit of freq check thru BC still there.. Haha..

Hi bro lkm,

So you finally did your valve seals change? Did mine last year in Oct/12 so far running good.

Also, while they are at it, i did a overhaul degreasing the entire engine as mine was moderately sludged up. End up spending on pistons rings, conrod bearings etc while they had the engine torn open.

In hindsight, i could have just stucked to the valve seals change, but no oil loss now, even at 10k oil change interval.

lkm;1010153 said:
It used to be 1ltr of oil top up every 6000km. Then it came down to 5000km. Then 4000km. Then 3000km. Now it's 1ltr of engine oil top up required every 2xxx km!!! Buay tahan! Plus with current COE prices, cannot buy new car leh! Sianz!

Workshop recommended engine valve seals change. Parts are cheap - I think less than $2 per seal (there are total of 16qty for the 320i). But labour is the expensive deal - paid about SGD400 in all for the seals change. But at least for now, car feels better to drive with, and the oil drinking has so far stopped.... Will report again at the next oil change interval. So my E90's no more thirsty now!

lkm;1010153 said:

hi, i am topping up 1l every 1.5kkm

please share the workshop contact with me, thks! :woottt:

I can totally relate with your continually checking on the BC!! Wahahah!!

eddienike;1010158 said:
Bro IKM, same same here. Mine running 5k km with zero top up after replaced the 16 pcs of valve seals. Engine oil remain full even after long drive now. Used to top up 1L every 2k KM.

Should able to last my 7.5k KM OCI without top up. Steady Bon bee bee!
But the habit of freq check thru BC still there.. Haha..

Yes bro! Finally did the valve seals change.... Was trying to hold out for as long as I could. Hahahah... Anyway, I had my engine cleaned up a little the last round when I changed my valvetronic motor. So now swee swee - no need to clean. Also, I've switched to using Penzzoil Ultra. It's supposed to have some good cleaning ability.

canuck78;1010198 said:
Hi bro lkm,

So you finally did your valve seals change? Did mine last year in Oct/12 so far running good.

Also, while they are at it, i did a overhaul degreasing the entire engine as mine was moderately sludged up. End up spending on pistons rings, conrod bearings etc while they had the engine torn open.

In hindsight, i could have just stucked to the valve seals change, but no oil loss now, even at 10k oil change interval.

adam2;1010301 said:
hi, i am topping up 1l every 1.5kkm

please share the workshop contact with me, thks! :woottt:

Wah! That sounds quite serious!! You should get that plugged soonest!!

lkm;1010153 said:

Can PM me which WS you changed the seal? My WS said they don't changed seal, only do top overhaul. How long it take?

Good to hear. Was using the BMW oil, now using Castrol Syntec.

How's the Penzzoil Ultra?

lkm;1010324 said:
Yes bro! Finally did the valve seals change.... Was trying to hold out for as long as I could. Hahahah... Anyway, I had my engine cleaned up a little the last round when I changed my valvetronic motor. So now swee swee - no need to clean. Also, I've switched to using Penzzoil Ultra. It's supposed to have some good cleaning ability.

TohTo;1010360 said:
Can PM me which WS you changed the seal? My WS said they don't changed seal, only do top overhaul. How long it take?

Huh? Why??

Anyway, it took me almost the whole day. Sent car in morning, collected in late afternoon / early evening...

PM sent!

I'm liking Penzzoil so far. Actually, I used to use Amsoil until it became expensive in Singapore. Both are good oils. Honestly, I'm one of those people who can't really feel too much difference between oil brands... Haha..

canuck78;1010364 said:
Good to hear. Was using the BMW oil, now using Castrol Syntec.

How's the Penzzoil Ultra?

bro u replace oil seal so cheap?only 400?

saintdagon;1010424 said:
bro u replace oil seal so cheap?only 400?

Yah.... Coz I did it at a workshop in boleh-land - our northern neighbour... Labour alot cheaper there lah... Hahaha.. Jobs like this one save me quite abit of $$$.

sorry to hijack this thread for a similar issue.

How about coolant? This morning, I got the coolant error indicator. Should I buy my own coolant from auto shop and DIY? If so, anyone can recommend which brand and approx cost?

Thanks!

pohls;1010466 said:
sorry to hijack this thread for a similar issue.

How about coolant? This morning, I got the coolant error indicator. Should I buy my own coolant from auto shop and DIY? If so, anyone can recommend which brand and approx cost?

Thanks!

You can physical check your coolant level, if low need to use BMW coolant, I think was 1:1 mixture with distilled water. If coolant level ok, then likely your coolant sensor need to replace.

Hi, can u pm the ws address to me please? Mine is also same situation. Thanks

lkm;1010375 said:
Huh? Why??

Anyway, it took me almost the whole day. Sent car in morning, collected in late afternoon / early evening...

PM sent!

Pls also PM me the workshop and the damage incurred, thx!

I'd recommend just topping up with distilled water.

Now, there are 2 situations where your coolant went low:

1) Very slight leak leading to evaporation. This can sometimes be considered quite "normal". If so, just top up with distilled water, as it's the water that evaporated. The coolant is still "in the system". Just that it turned a little bit more "concentrated". Think of it like a salt-water solution situation - water evaporates, leaving the salt still in the remaining water. Top up with water is good enough.

2) Slightly bigger leak. Now, in this situation, you probably have to get a workshop to replace parts. And only after your leak is fixed, flush your cooling system and replace with water and coolant mixture. Any good workshop will re-fill the system with a coolant and water mix, and not just pure distilled water.

brosiss;1010480 said:
You can physical check your coolant level, if low need to use BMW coolant, I think was 1:1 mixture with distilled water. If coolant level ok, then likely your coolant sensor need to replace.

Yes, tried Amsoil before and it's pretty smooth. Will try Penzzoil for the next oil change.

Typically, you can feel the engine is very smooth after an oil change and maybe it gets a little rougher once you put say 2,000 or 3,000 km on it.

lkm;1010376 said:
I'm liking Penzzoil so far. Actually, I used to use Amsoil until it became expensive in Singapore. Both are good oils. Honestly, I'm one of those people who can't really feel too much difference between oil brands... Haha..

Read oil comparison that Penzzoil being one of the best performing synthetic.
But read too that Shell bought Penzzoil and their Helix synthetic is actually Penzzoil. True?
Otherwise where can we buy Penzzoil synthetic?
Thank you brother.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hlvcarloancelotti

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back