Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 - Some Facts

tom_ting

Am looking to change to a new oil for my ride, found this info and cannot digest so post up here hoping some expert can explain a little if i can use this safely on my E90 325i. Many many thanks..

Edgesport0w40a.jpg

Edgesport0w40.jpg

Re: Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 - Some Facts

Is Castrol Edge 0w40 sold in Singapore (BMW LL-01) the same as Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 (BMW LL-04).

Found the info from Castrol websites. Can anyone explain?

tom_ting;429310 said:
Is Castrol Edge 0w40 sold in Singapore (BMW LL-01) the same as Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 (BMW LL-04).

Found the info from Castrol websites. Can anyone explain?

Both Castrol LL01 & LL04 are available in Singapore. LL01 can only be bought from PML and LL04 at Eng Soon. Apparently LL04 is not recommended for use outside Europe. I believe it is due to the hotter weather and oil might not last for 25k. If you are changing oil with the new recommended OCI of 12k, then it should be good for us. I changed mine with LL04 bought from Eng Soon at $18/litires.

F$@k this Long Life thing. just change the oil every 10k km. Just make sure its the viscoscity u want.

OT: BTW anyone tried a 5w-30 oil ?

320i;429333 said:
Both Castrol LL01 & LL04 are available in Singapore. LL01 can only be bought from PML and LL04 at Eng Soon. Apparently LL04 is not recommended for use outside Europe. I believe it is due to the hotter weather and oil might not last for 25k. If you are changing oil with the new recommended OCI of 12k, then it should be good for us. I changed mine with LL04 bought from Eng Soon at $18/litires.

the user manual from BMW specifies BMW LL-98 / 01 / 04. And dealer didnt mention about LL-04 not for outside Europe.

BTW, Castrol 0w30 LL-04 is available from Eng Soon?
Thanks

320i;429333 said:

tom_ting;429404 said:
the user manual from BMW specifies BMW LL-98 / 01 / 04. And dealer didnt mention about LL-04 not for outside Europe.

BTW, Castrol 0w30 LL-04 is available from Eng Soon?
Thanks

Ya 320i what's the source your info abt LL04 can't be used outside Europe I'm curious? Last I checked, PML doesn't give 2 hoots abt this LL thingy surprisingly if warranty is wat you're worried abt - just the right viscosity.

Ahbengdriver;429371 said:
F$@k this Long Life thing. just change the oil every 10k km. Just make sure its the viscoscity u want.

OT: BTW anyone tried a 5w-30 oil ?

I'm using Xrev 5w-30 for my E90.

Smooth and FC much better. Guess so long not turbo or light turbo, 5w-30 is good for local usage. More impt, its a PML approved oil.

bfd;429456 said:
I'm using Xrev 5w-30 for my E90.

Smooth and FC much better. Guess so long not turbo or light turbo, 5w-30 is good for local usage. More impt, its a PML approved oil.

wat do u mean by its a PML approved oil ?

spidey3;429413 said:
Ya 320i what's the source your info abt LL04 can't be used outside Europe I'm curious? Last I checked, PML doesn't give 2 hoots abt this LL thingy surprisingly if warranty is wat you're worried abt - just the right viscosity.
If yours is under warrany, I suggest you stick with PML oil to avoid anything unnecessary issues on warranty claims...

spidey3;429413 said:

how can we determine the right viscosity for our ride? ask PML? is there a guidelines somewhere?

You can check this web for the oil Xtreme Lubricants Lab - Xrev . It is a bmwLL-04 oil

If it is not pml approved, they will not service(change engine oil) ur car when u bring in your own oil. For my case, i brought my own oil when servcing with them.

Apparently, they will void the engine warranty if u use unapproved oil. U can check with any sa if the oil u favour is under their list.

tom_ting;429514 said:
how can we determine the right viscosity for our ride? ask PML? is there a guidelines somewhere?

PML told me albeit over phone so long 0w30 or 0w40, or for tat matter 5w30 or 5w40, its fine, bmw ll approved regardless..

320i;429333 said:
Both Castrol LL01 & LL04 are available in Singapore. LL01 can only be bought from PML and LL04 at Eng Soon. Apparently LL04 is not recommended for use outside Europe.
think u referring to those BMW LL oil 1L bottles sold at the PML parts counter? Are those confirmed Castrol? but anyway, if LL01 and above, it's full synthetic so not so much worry there. But interesting to note PML (whom u can hold liable if their products cause damage to your car) sells LL01, while Eng Soon (just sells u whatever u wanna order) sells the LL04 stuff. maybe coincidence, or slow stocking on PML's part... i dunno

tom_ting;429404 said:
my manual says to check w my dealer for recommended oil, but that LL01 is a suitable alternative. Ur engine is the N52B25 too? material posted on other US forums have indicated LL04 not for use outside of EU. A forumer has posted a doc before. u can do a search for "LL04"

spidey3;429413 said:

PML don't care? really?? i find this hard to believe... maybe they say that now, but on the service invoice they note down "brought own oil"? cos i doubt they will let u bring oil that isn't even BMW LL approved and not give u a hard time when engine warranty claims come round. PML leh. Change rims and they will consider chance to hammer you on certain claims.

oil viscosity just provides a band range, even similar weight oils have different characteristics. and there are lots more factors to be considered in an oil. Open up the oil tech sheets and u will see differences.

What Xrev says on their site.....

Xrev Racing Formula is available in 3 viscosity ratings:
  • 5W-30 for newer cars especially those with less than 75,000km. The thinner viscosity provides cars with a more responsive engine and a lower fuel consumption (not recommended for high-revving performance n.a. engines (eg Honda Civic Type R and Honda Accord Euro R) or turbo-charged charged engines).
  • 5W-40 for cars more than 75,000km. This is the standard rating for cars operating in Singapore for optimal protection of the engine (recommended for high-revving performance iv-tech engines and light pressure turbo-charged engines. Also recommended for CNG and Euro IV diesel engines).
  • 15W-50 for turbo-charged and super-charged cars and for vintage cars which consume engine oil.
The current range of Xrev Racing Formula is the latest API SM series with its unique green formulation - another unique feature of XREV.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wah so 335i Twin Turbo must use 5w-40 or even 15w-50 ? Now the confusion starts again.

Shld be ok, but i guess 5w-30 more ideal. 0w-30 needed more for cold countries but still can use just that not required in our climate.

Ahbengdriver;429690 said:
What Xrev says on their site.....

Xrev Racing Formula is available in 3 viscosity ratings:
  • 5W-30 for newer cars especially those with less than 75,000km. The thinner viscosity provides cars with a more responsive engine and a lower fuel consumption (not recommended for high-revving performance n.a. engines (eg Honda Civic Type R and Honda Accord Euro R) or turbo-charged charged engines).
  • 5W-40 for cars more than 75,000km. This is the standard rating for cars operating in Singapore for optimal protection of the engine (recommended for high-revving performance iv-tech engines and light pressure turbo-charged engines. Also recommended for CNG and Euro IV diesel engines).
  • 15W-50 for turbo-charged and super-charged cars and for vintage cars which consume engine oil.
The current range of Xrev Racing Formula is the latest API SM series with its unique green formulation - another unique feature of XREV.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wah so 335i Twin Turbo must use 5w-40 or even 15w-50 ? Now the confusion starts again.

For local daily usage, 5w-40 will do, but if u track go for 15w-50. Basically, its just the "thickness" of the oil. When u track, u need more protection for ur engine. For "very tuned engine" esp those with high boost, u need to use 15w-50 too.

My 2 cents..

bfd;429804 said:
Shld be ok, but i guess 5w-30 more ideal. 0w-30 needed more for cold countries but still can use just that not required in our climate.

but it didnt say its BMW LL-01/ LL-04 on the package. so how?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red88video

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back