Cayman 2.7 PASM6 Sport Chrono 230km perspectives

Re: Cayman 2.7 PASM6 Sport Chrono 230km perspectives

congratulation on your new ride.

Congrats on your new ride. Really enjoyed reading your new post. Was it a SA or a PI car?

Harry1;242050 said:
Congrats on your new ride. Really enjoyed reading your new post. Was it a SA or a PI car?
Thanks for all the well wishes lah. Pics, yes, I am trying to actually stop driving and take out the Canon which is in the front boot.

This is a SA car, not PI. There is a S$20-25K difference in pricing. I evaluated both options with lawyer friends and also communications with Porsche people and SA people and PI, and also with some independent consultants.

The following may be accurate, it may not be. But it is my view after collating all the information:

1) Porsche has a comprehensive Porsche Assist programme, which is also commonly called the Mondial program. This program is comprehensive, anywhere you are in the world, you are covered for the first 2 years:

a) Free hotel etc. when your car break down, or free rental car or free plane/rail ticket.
b) They will take care of towing your Porsche in the approved way.
c) Many other stuff all connected to emergencies/breakdown etc.

2) The Mondial service is available to certain Porsches only, basically, ones recognized by the authorised distributor for registration with the main Porsche database. The car is registered only by the Authorised Distributor in any country, at the time of delivery.

3) PI cars are purchased from AD in other countries, like the UK, but these are not registered in the Mondial worldwide database because the AD did not sell it to the end buyer. So all PI cars do not in themselves come with Mondial.

4) There is a method to let the PI cars into the Mondial database, by actually paying Stuttgart Auto S$3k thereabouts to register it for you.

5) After registration, you are eligible for Mondial.

Looks good for PI so far? Yes, but....

1) In any warranty claim of a PI car to Stuttgart Auto, SA will only order the parts if the PI car owner pays in advance.

2) Goodwill is non-existent. If you screw up your gearbox, for example, SA in conjunction with Porsche AP and porsche GmBH would have to evaluate whether the fault lies in manufacturing or in user problem. You pay FIRST, then if Porsche says that it is a manufacturing fault, you are reimbursed after a while. It can be a matter of 3 months. If your engine burst, you may have to foot S$25K thereabouts, for example, and not know whether you will be reimbursed or not. For people buying from SA, the goodwill is there, and the benefit of doubt given to the customer of their cars.

After weighing all these, I chose to buy it from Stuttgart. The percentage of price difference is not large.

In addition, the OMV for SA cars are typically sky high. The OMV for PI cars from what I see in One Motoring are substantially lower. The source of the cars is something one has to take into consideration. Stocking PIs for non-indent cars - when is the date of production??? Are these unsold cars from the Authorised Dealers in the UK?

For ur case 20-25k...definitely S.A route, no doubt tho that actually amounts to bout 10 pct+ more than the same PI spec which to some, it's quite substantial still.
but spread it over 10yrs at 2-2.5k p/a it's nothing and less headache too.

caySman;242072 said:
In addition, the OMV for SA cars are typically sky high. The OMV for PI cars from what I see in One Motoring are substantially lower. The source of the cars is something one has to take into consideration. Stocking PIs for non-indent cars - when is the date of production??? Are these unsold cars from the Authorised Dealers in the UK?

Thanks CaySman. Agreed on your prognosis of PI vs SA. If I went for the GT3, I may end up going for a SA car but I think price differential would be approx S$40k.

enjoyed the write up....nice n detailed.

congrats on ur new porky......:)

some pics will be nice......

Congrats on the new car. Sounds like you are one happy camper!

Would be a good idea to perform an oil service annually at the very least, assuming you dont hit the mileage marks. Cos both irregular driving or mainly town driving is generally bad for the engine oil. Carbon build up is a persistent problem for porsches. Try and make sure you give her some sustained rpm (say 4k rpm for a 15-20 min stretch) every once a month or so. Best place to do it is NS on a sunday morning....

Great writeup! Congrats on the porker!

Cheers,
B
ps: great research on the PI vs SA route as well.

Harry1;242201 said:
Thanks CaySman. Agreed on your prognosis of PI vs SA. If I went for the GT3, I may end up going for a SA car but I think price differential would be approx S$40k.
I heard that GT3 production has stopped. Yes, GT3, not only GT3 RS. If SA does not have any buffer, then GT3 production will not continue until the first couple of GT2 batches are out. I think you might want to give SA or AC a call to see what's the situation like.

damnit I still don't have pics.

Boris, is the carbon buildup issue affecting the newer watercooled engines as well? Granted, carbon buildup affected the aircooled ones, I've seen them for myself, but the watercooled engines with Variocam plus also?

caySman;242358 said:
I heard that GT3 production has stopped. Yes, GT3, not only GT3 RS. If SA does not have any buffer, then GT3 production will not continue until the first couple of GT2 batches are out. I think you might want to give SA or AC a call to see what's the situation like.

Spoke to V from SA and it seems that if I place an order for a GT3 now, I can get a car by end of Q1. Maybe the American Ninja Loans is causing a dent in the supercar market!

End of Q1, think that is conservative, u may get earlier....
Think prod hasnt stopped but allocations to each country maybe?
Mine began production in Aug...dunno 1 aug or 31aug..

Harry1
Ur M5 is gone, so put that in fond memory section hahaha

Hey congrats Caysman..

The good FC IMO is probably due to a fairly light car, efficient engine (low tune state (unherent lower torque peak (better efficiency))), latest evolution variable this and that) and manual transmission. All the vehicles listed in comparison are heavier ( some of them significantly), and most run different transmission type. The C32 with its SC is mechanically and chemically inefficient under load. The cool part is that you can expect FC to improve to a point, as the car covers more miles.

Hey Shaun, since you're here ...

All my life I've been taught that, dampers CANNOT be a setup crutch, it's for finetune only.

I've tried that with the W203 C200 and C32, went to hell and back with loads of dampers and still it wallows in understeer, me and my bro tried it on a Renault Coupe turbo and it's proven to me again and again.

Basically, dampers don't do SHIT.

Of course we never tried any dynamic dampers like the PASM system before. What I'm surprised is how much difference dynamic dampers do to the handling in the case of the Cayman, and more recently, I found that the new Mercedes C-Class active damper system actually made it drive like ... a super sporty car. It's incredible especially in the case of the C-Class. The handling of the C-Class without the active dampers is SOFT and WALLOWS IN MUD. With the active dampers it's a champ!

Is this new? Is the rule that `dampers are for finetuning only' now invalid in your racing circles also?

Dunt tell me you believe in Tay Ping Hui and Olsen's blurp on the radio!! Hahaha... j/k

OT: Can't believe they taped the latter who said.. "the interior is very spacious... it has a lot of space" in the ad. HELLO... duh?!?! :lol2:

What I'm surprised is how much difference dynamic dampers do to the handling in the case of the Cayman, and more recently, I found that the new Mercedes C-Class active damper system actually made it drive like ... a super sporty car. It's incredible especially in the case of the C-Class. The handling of the C-Class without the active dampers is SOFT and WALLOWS IN MUD. With the active dampers it's a champ!
CaySman,

Congrats on ur delivery of the mid-engine gem!
Total have the same feel/experience with my RS4 that comes with dynamic damper system. It is a must have once u experienced it.:cloud9:

Welbo;242610 said:
It is a must have once u experienced it.:cloud9:

I still haven't experienced it yet... ahem. *nudge nudge*

Rgds,
Axl "taxi whore" Ang

caySman;242361 said:
damnit I still don't have pics.

Boris, is the carbon buildup issue affecting the newer watercooled engines as well? Granted, carbon buildup affected the aircooled ones, I've seen them for myself, but the watercooled engines with Variocam plus also?

Not half as bad as before but 3.4 996 cars still had the problem. To be honest havent heard anything about the 997/87 cars but guess that they are prob still too new. Engine design of 996/7 86/87 are broadly the same though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hgo909com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back