Cayman 2.7 PASM6 Sport Chrono 230km perspectives

Re: Cayman 2.7 PASM6 Sport Chrono 230km perspectives

Welbo;242610 said:
CaySman,

Congrats on ur delivery of the mid-engine gem!
Total have the same feel/experience with my RS4 that comes with dynamic damper system. It is a must have once u experienced it.:cloud9:
your RS4 is the red one izzit? I see going along CTE during some mornings when I use CTE.

TripleM;242398 said:
End of Q1, think that is conservative, u may get earlier....
Think prod hasnt stopped but allocations to each country maybe?
Mine began production in Aug...dunno 1 aug or 31aug..

yep I think u are right. even the R8 delivery i last checked s Q1 2008 if order now. maybe if sti goes below 2800 and dow below 12000, then SA and Premium will start gviving discounts! :)

TripleM;242401 said:
Harry1
Ur M5 is gone, so put that in fond memory section hahaha

Yes v true... hahaha!

caySman;242413 said:
Hey Shaun, since you're here ...
All my life I've been taught that, dampers CANNOT be a setup crutch, it's for finetune only.

True to some degree that they can't be a crutch, but no different from anything else. What other setup parameters can be a crutch? As for finetune.. maybe finetune ride characteristics, but definitely not handling. Shocks have a huge effect handling.

I've tried that with the W203 C200 and C32, went to hell and back with loads of dampers and still it wallows in understeer, me and my bro tried it on a Renault Coupe turbo and it's proven to me again and again.
If you are referring to steady state (large enough turn radius and turn angle for the car to take a set) understeer on listed cars, then yes, non active shocks can't help that because final roll stiffness distribution is determined by springs and bars. It is only transients (entries and exits) that non active shocks affect, and not just finely, but in a big way. Sometimes with a poor enough weight distribution, inherent handling problems can't be fixed without an ungodly amount of time and money.

I can see how on listed cars the shock effects may have been small versus other changes, but it is tough to compare changes in different areas, especially when of different quantities that themselves can hardly be referenced. How does 2 degrees of camber change relate to 50 lbs more force from a shock at 7 inches/sec shaft speed, etc.?

Basically, dampers don't do SHIT.
I wonder where this comes from because on certain road courses, an extremely good driver reporting an already quick comfortable car can drop around 2 seconds on an approx. 73 second lap, due alone to external damper setting changes - shims untouched.

Of course we never tried any dynamic dampers like the PASM system before. What I'm surprised is how much difference dynamic dampers do to the handling in the case of the Cayman, and more recently, I found that the new Mercedes C-Class active damper system actually made it drive like ... a super sporty car. It's incredible especially in the case of the C-Class. The handling of the C-Class without the active dampers is SOFT and WALLOWS IN MUD. With the active dampers it's a champ!
I haven't read much about the Mercedes system, but from what little I understand of PASM, the body is still going to settle at the same roll angle in a turn, provided the turn is long enough. It is only the transients that are made sharper. The valves can close off to effectively turn the shock solid and limit the roll angle, but I don't know if the system has that degree of control, and even if it does, it is almost certainly not a full active system that reads surfaces and immediately reacts to them, so if there were to be a mid corner bump, with crazy high wheel rates, the car is going to be severely upset. The only way I can see it totally limiting body roll is by having a valve that blows open beyond a certain force. With known peak loads at maximum lateral and longitudinal acclerations on typical road surfaces as references, and bump forces yielding forces considerably above the reference, the blow open point can be set. The downside is that once you encounter a large enough bump mid corner and the valve blows open to save the car, the remainder of the corner is going to be very different with lots of roll. So I see it best applied for roll control on good roads or ride control (this with hardly any compromise) depending on whether the control valves work to control both bound and rebound independently.

If there were systems that involved changing spring preload and/or heights, it would increase the range of situations the system could work under without compromise, but still be limited. Full active is still too expensive for production cars, though I wonder why some supercar company hasn't applied it yet. It probably takes too much money for what little edge it gives - an edge not required on street cars, and on race cars the sanctioning bodies are all about cost control.

Is this new? Is the rule that `dampers are for finetuning only' now invalid in your racing circles also?
I really don't think dampers for finetuning only, was ever a rule in racing. I haven't heard anyone ever say that, or read it anywhere.

here comes Shaun with his story book sized post(s)

Shaun;243128 said:
Full active is still too expensive for production cars, though I wonder why some supercar company hasn't applied it yet. It probably takes too much money for what little edge it gives - an edge not required on street cars, and on race cars the sanctioning bodies are all about cost control.

I thought that the PASM system was realtime - meaning it reads the surface and reacts to them. However its effect is limited because it only works on the dampers. enter Mercedes' own ABC2 (Active Body Control 2) on the non-AMG S and CL, both air springs and air dampers, fully active in the traditional sense. Good reports from both though I've never been on a car with ABC2 as an option.

I have sinned X1 at least.

When coming home after massive jam, Audi 1.8T Turbowagon pulled and wanna play. Big fat exhaust though, so ....

So I play. Shifting so enjoyably 1-2-3-4- until reached 5K rpm in every gear until I remembered. .... oi! you supposed to be breaking in leh, how can you have so much fun? It's 4.2K rpm for first 1K km ...

So I slowed down ... but I'd sinned anyway.

How do you control yourself man???!

CaySman,

Nope. Mine is silver in colour.

caySman;243342 said:
I have sinned X1 at least.

When coming home after massive jam, Audi 1.8T Turbowagon pulled and wanna play. Big fat exhaust though, so ....

So I play. Shifting so enjoyably 1-2-3-4- until reached 5K rpm in every gear until I remembered. .... oi! you supposed to be breaking in leh, how can you have so much fun? It's 4.2K rpm for first 1K km ...

So I slowed down ... but I'd sinned anyway.

How do you control yourself man???!

Bro,

Congrats on your ride....good choice on manual. I have lots of self control, perhaps i can help you to run in :)

PHOTOS PLEASE...You're killing us without PHOTOS!!!!

pictures pictures pictures !!! read till cannot imagine liao

ARRGH... so sorry, I had really no time these few days other than basic survival stuff and driving the car, so no pics as yet. Just because I so paiseh, I put some pics car. It's WHITE, boring and blends in the environment ... no mods... lol ,... and dirty ... taken with friend's SLR ... cannot control environment coz the time I'm at my place is at night only most of the time. I try to take some pics at a more scenic place maybe on this weekend .... so long, today monday only.

img1393vw7.jpg

img1399by3.jpg

Here's the exhaust after 350km. Manual says can use Harley Davidson chrome cleaner to clean it up to silver again :)
img1395lt8.jpg

And here's the super dirty air right hand side intake for cooling the mid engine. The left side is air intake for burning the air.
img1397kv6.jpg

caySman;242065 said:
Thanks for all the well wishes lah. Pics, yes, I am trying to actually stop driving and take out the Canon which is in the front boot.

This is a SA car, not PI. There is a S$20-25K difference in pricing. I evaluated both options with lawyer friends and also communications with Porsche people and SA people and PI, and also with some independent consultants.

The following may be accurate, it may not be. But it is my view after collating all the information:

1) Porsche has a comprehensive Porsche Assist programme, which is also commonly called the Mondial program. This program is comprehensive, anywhere you are in the world, you are covered for the first 2 years:

a) Free hotel etc. when your car break down, or free rental car or free plane/rail ticket.
b) They will take care of towing your Porsche in the approved way.
c) Many other stuff all connected to emergencies/breakdown etc.

2) The Mondial service is available to certain Porsches only, basically, ones recognized by the authorised distributor for registration with the main Porsche database. The car is registered only by the Authorised Distributor in any country, at the time of delivery.

3) PI cars are purchased from AD in other countries, like the UK, but these are not registered in the Mondial worldwide database because the AD did not sell it to the end buyer. So all PI cars do not in themselves come with Mondial.

4) There is a method to let the PI cars into the Mondial database, by actually paying Stuttgart Auto S$3k thereabouts to register it for you.

5) After registration, you are eligible for Mondial.

Looks good for PI so far? Yes, but....

1) In any warranty claim of a PI car to Stuttgart Auto, SA will only order the parts if the PI car owner pays in advance.

2) Goodwill is non-existent. If you screw up your gearbox, for example, SA in conjunction with Porsche AP and porsche GmBH would have to evaluate whether the fault lies in manufacturing or in user problem. You pay FIRST, then if Porsche says that it is a manufacturing fault, you are reimbursed after a while. It can be a matter of 3 months. If your engine burst, you may have to foot S$25K thereabouts, for example, and not know whether you will be reimbursed or not. For people buying from SA, the goodwill is there, and the benefit of doubt given to the customer of their cars.

After weighing all these, I chose to buy it from Stuttgart. The percentage of price difference is not large.

actually savings of 10% to 15% off sa price is attainable which can equate to $40k or more depending on the value of the car and options. the discount variability depends on your bargaining skills and how badly you want the car... ;) scarcity of the cars will also play a part. as to warranty issues, some of the pi buy warranty insurance for the cars so you don't have to fork out the cost first. the main issues of going with pis are that they take a lot more time to clear cars through lta and warranty coverage. reliability of supply can also be a problem. and with the worldwide shortage on porsches, pis don't have alot of cars to sell. if you put in a new order through a pi, you will probably take a long time to get it. one doesn't pay a lower cost for a pi car for nothing. all in all, pros and cons for both routes. some will pick one way, others will pick the other.

Ahbengdriver;243514 said:
White is the new black...:woowooo:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :inlove: :cool: :goodup: :cloud9:
you may be right. So many people are picking WHITE again for cars. I remember that in the 80s EVERY MOTHER'S SON picked white for their Mercedes, their Galant Sigma, everything. These times may be on to us again.

DRAT!

Good start on the Photos....more please. May I ask, what is the cost of PASM option?

Who dares to have their Merc white these days, esp E class. So does yellow or blue Sonatas, if u know what I mean.

When checking, I found that the cost of the Cayman went up by S$7K since I bought it. When I was buying, it was S$239 or something, now starts at S$246.

For the Cayman, the price is S$5,857 for the PASM alone, but with a Cayman, it has a 5-speed VW transmission standard. Upgrading that to a 6 speed Getrag, you can buy the Sport Package, combo of both 6-speed trans and PASM, costs S$8,110.

While you're at it, you might want to consider Sport Chrono option, which additionally adds one level of traction control and also `hardens' the rev limiter, that costs S$3,019.

caySman;243338 said:
I thought that the PASM system was realtime - meaning it reads the surface and reacts to them.

The speed of reaction is part of what determines full active vs semi active. Full active also would have very large span of infinite control in both bound and rebound and not be limited by anything close to a traditional shock or spring.

From what I understand, PASM does not read and react immediately to the current bump, only prepares for more of its kind that may be coming along before returning after X time at Y condition to base setting. Necessary reaction time to deal with a bump at speed, vs body roll at any speed, is very different. Former requires much quicker reaction.

However its effect is limited because it only works on the dampers. enter Mercedes' own ABC2 (Active Body Control 2) on the non-AMG S and CL, both air springs and air dampers, fully active in the traditional sense. Good reports from both though I've never been on a car with ABC2 as an option.
Actually I'm not sure that there are any fully active systems at all, on any production or race car today. I think our definitions are a little different. It would be cool though if there was full active around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn58io
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back