Ceramic coating effectiveness doubtful

Bentanlh70

My ride had a detailing session (paint correction + ceramic coating) early last year. After one year, seeing that there were scratches and bird shit marks, I decided to send for a maintenance session by the same detailer. Recently, it had been raining frequently. Usually, I don't dry the car after a rain (it's just too tedious, isn't it?). After 2 days of rain, I sent my car for a wash and I saw a few water spots on my bonnet. They can't be removed through normal wash. I was damn pissed - the coating seemed to offer no resistance to water spots. Mind you, it's not as if I left the water to dry for weeks, it was just 1-2 days. Yes, the car looks shiny after the maintenance session, but if it offers little to no protection, then the coating is not doing its job. The latest coating appeared far less effective compared to the first round of coating. Maybe it's because it's just one layer instead of three? I think such maintenance sessions are just gimmicks, although they cost only 1/3 of the full session. I see these detailing companies as similar to bubble tea concept. It's a lucrative business, so every Tom, Dick and Harry get into this line. Each claimed to use a different brand of products. Now I am very skeptical of the power of coating.

Those who had done coating before, hope you can share your experiences with it. If I can find a reliable shop, I may just try again. Those who want more details can just PM me, it's rather sensitive to reveal certain info over the forum.

Must have realistic expectations for these coatings.I remember reading somewhere that ' ceramic ' coatings don't really protect against watermarks.They just make the washing of the car a tad easier.

Must have realistic expectations for these coatings.I remember reading somewhere that ' ceramic ' coatings don't really protect against watermarks.They just make the washing of the car a tad easier.

My car without coating fared better in terms of watermarks.
I think just polishing and waxing will do. Coating is really overhyped.

I think it's either some of these companies are not honest or transparent enough to tell their customers what to expect of a coat, or we have been expecting too much from it. These are some common remarks/phrases I often hear from drivers:

- "if your car is coated, you wash less often";
- "once your car is coated, no need to use soap when washing";
- "better coat your car if you always park under the sun"; and
- "you get better protection if you coat more layers".

I think there's still a lot more self maintenance car owners need to do. To a certain extent, coating does provide a level of paint protection but you cannot solely rely on it and not do anything to maintain the exterior cleanliness.

What you guys stated here is reasonable. I send for car wash every 1.5 to 2 weeks, and I park under shelter 90% of the time. I don’t work in areas with polluted air. Whenever I see mud stains on the car, I will quickly clean them off. The only thing I don’t do is wipe the car dry after every rain I got myself in. That’s too much hassle and may cause scratches, don’t you agree? If watermarks formed as a result of that, then I must say that the coating is useless. For my last ride, it was just polishing and waxing, and I don’t have such an issue. Hence, I can only say coating achieves only 2 purposes: (1) makes your car look a little glossier; (2) makes washing car a little easier as the surface is smoother. The protective aspect is really just hype. The coating I did is not those cheap cheap HDB carpark grooming type and it’s also a well-known brand. Hence, I am disappointed that it does not hold up well to even just water. The problem is more glaring after the first maintenance session, which was one year after the main session. So another possibility is that maintenance is not sufficient to maintain the effect of the original coatings. It only looks good for a few weeks and then issues gradually start appearing.

Simply put the place and price you paid. More so important to let the merchant know as well. Its NOT to name and shame but more awareness for the merchant and our fellow forum users. Especially more so if its a site sponsor. PLS note its NOT about being nasty or trying to raise a stink but feedback so no personal negatives

IMG_5118.jpg

Went thru heavy shower during lunch time and this is what it was at 5.30.
To be honest, I am very satisfied with my current detailer.

View attachment 80921

Went thru heavy shower during lunch time and this is what it was at 5.30.
To be honest, I am very satisfied with my current detailer.

To be fair, water spots are less visible on white surfaces. I've my fair share of having owned both white and black cars. Both colours are known to be the most difficult to maintain. But, black is the "winner", i.e. the most difficult colour to maintain (at least to me).

Less effort is needed to shine a white car if it is often kept clean. But even if a black car is kept clean, extra effort is required to bring out its shine.

What you guys stated here is reasonable. I send for car wash every 1.5 to 2 weeks, and I park under shelter 90% of the time. I don’t work in areas with polluted air. Whenever I see mud stains on the car, I will quickly clean them off. The only thing I don’t do is wipe the car dry after every rain I got myself in. That’s too much hassle and may cause scratches, don’t you agree? If watermarks formed as a result of that, then I must say that the coating is useless. For my last ride, it was just polishing and waxing, and I don’t have such an issue. Hence, I can only say coating achieves only 2 purposes: (1) makes your car look a little glossier; (2) makes washing car a little easier as the surface is smoother. The protective aspect is really just hype. The coating I did is not those cheap cheap HDB carpark grooming type and it’s also a well-known brand. Hence, I am disappointed that it does not hold up well to even just water. The problem is more glaring after the first maintenance session, which was one year after the main session. So another possibility is that maintenance is not sufficient to maintain the effect of the original coatings. It only looks good for a few weeks and then issues gradually start appearing.

I tend to agree with you. It's not realistic to keep washing and drying a car every time it gets wet from the rain. It seems to me coating is good mainly for those who have the luxury of sheltered car park both at home and at work. Much much less exposure to weather.

I contacted my detailer. He said it’s likely not rain water that caused the spots. He suggested I bring the car back for him to have a closer look at the spots. I am glad my detailer is responsible and willing to follow up on my feedback. But it’s troublesome to rectify. By the way, my car is dark colour, really hard to maintain. Next time will go for white or silver, or at most red. Will definitely stay away from black or dark grey LOL!

I just changed my windscreen about a month ago. i was wondering why a brand new windscreen from pilkington can be sooo “water sticky” compared to the side and rear glazing. I tried to clay bar part of the windscreen to test it out but didn’t work. so I went to a detailer, a few days ago, just next to the workshop which changed my windscreen.

from the water droplet sizes and shapes in the heavy rain yesterday and the car speeds at which the droplets started to slide off the screen, i confirmed a few things.

coating is uneven
no thorough cleaning of the windscreen before applying coating
whatever coating they used is useless
can last nine months, my foot

wanted to sell me ceramic coating (whole car) at $530 or $630.
two options meaning using different kind of coating chemical.

just sales talk.

I’m looking for a reliable car detailer as well.
my parking is 95+% sheltered and I don’t like to use wiper.
regret changing the windscreen... sigh... I should’ve live with the stone chips and now I’ve to live with my decisions :helpp!:

any gurus here can advise me? thanks.

I just changed my windscreen about a month ago. i was wondering why a brand new windscreen from pilkington can be sooo “water sticky” compared to the side and rear glazing. I tried to clay bar part of the windscreen to test it out but didn’t work. so I went to a detailer, a few days ago, just next to the workshop which changed my windscreen.

from the water droplet sizes and shapes in the heavy rain yesterday and the car speeds at which the droplets started to slide off the screen, i confirmed a few things.

coating is uneven
no thorough cleaning of the windscreen before applying coating
whatever coating they used is useless
can last nine months, my foot

wanted to sell me ceramic coating (whole car) at $530 or $630.
two options meaning using different kind of coating chemical.

just sales talk.

I’m looking for a reliable car detailer as well.
my parking is 95+% sheltered and I don’t like to use wiper.
regret changing the windscreen... sigh... I should’ve live with the stone chips and now I’ve to live with my decisions :helpp!:

any gurus here can advise me? thanks.

Try Rain X since you don't like to use wipers this is highly effective.

Try Rain X since you don't like to use wipers this is highly effective.

thanks rssid. I heard the coating can “drop off” overtime, leaving “patches“ behind. i suppose it needs to be continuously coat it over. that’s my impression only of course.

which brings me to one point, in my previous ride, for a full 10 years, I never polish my car, I never allow car washer to wipe dry my ride after washing, i just hit straight for the highway from for example shell at guillemard road and air dry the whole car. a lot of petrol i know :) no one could believe it was 10 years old.

when a new car gets imported into sg and sold, what kind on detailing was done and where? scratching me head now looking through my “new windscreen”... sigh...

Let me guess, you probably changed your windscreen at Bukit Batok. Does your new windscreen have BMW logo? The coating applied by windscreen workshop is usually not fantastic. Like all coatings, glass coating will eventually wear off. When you find the beading effect gone, then it’s a sign that the coating needs to be reapplied. $530 to detail the whole car is quite market rate. Your detailer will need to polish away the existing glass coating, then can apply a new coat. Some coatings may cause wiper judder.
My windscreen also has its fair share of imperfections after 5 years, but I hesitate to change it as I believe original fitment is always way better. But if it’s crack due to whatever reason, then no choice have to change.

Let me guess, you probably changed your windscreen at Bukit Batok. Does your new windscreen have BMW logo? The coating applied by windscreen workshop is usually not fantastic. Like all coatings, glass coating will eventually wear off. When you find the beading effect gone, then it’s a sign that the coating needs to be reapplied. $530 to detail the whole car is quite market rate. Your detailer will need to polish away the existing glass coating, then can apply a new coat. Some coatings may cause wiper judder.
My windscreen also has its fair share of imperfections after 5 years, but I hesitate to change it as I believe original fitment is always way better. But if it’s crack due to whatever reason, then no choice have to change.

BB? like that you also know...:yikes:
well done!

hope I can buy you a cup of coffee and perhaps you can teach me a few tricks in sg. $1000 a cup I also don’t mind since 500+ is the market rate. spent money like water... need to work harder at any rate :p hahaha....

thanks bentanlh70

cant even detail a new windscreen, how to trust them with detailing the whole car?
yes, it has a bmw logo, i checked all markings... unless i kena... sigh...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet77blog1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back